• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What will it take to save the V8 Mustang?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Why would most of you (?) "hate the Mach-E"?
IMO, many of us take issue with what Ford did with the Mustang, the Mach 1 names and their heritage.

In Norway, you have traditions, things that you do. Institutions or past that help define who you are. You embrace those things. Look after those things or continue in that way.

The name Mustang stands on its own and represents decades of history (Cool cars, high HP, big engines, racing). The Mach E is a new platform, technology, customer and generation. I feel Ford should have launched with a new name and logo.

Regarding the V8, I'd like to see it continue, in the Mustang. I can see positives influencing its continuation and negatives pushing the V8 towards death. Today, right now, I'm afraid the negatives are carrying more weight.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Petter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit (2022), Mustang Mach-E (2021)
IMO, many of us take issue with what Ford did with the Mustang, the Mach 1 names and their heritage.

In Norway, you have traditions, things that you do. Institutions or past that help define who you are. You embrace those things. Look after those things or continue in that way.

The name Mustang stands on its own and represents decades of history (Cool cars, high HP, big engines, racing). The Mach E is a new platform, technology, customer and generation. I feel Ford should have launched with a new name and logo.

Regarding the V8, I'd like to see it continue, in the Mustang. I can see positives influencing its continuation and negatives pushing the V8 towards death. Today, right now, I'm afraid the negatives are carrying more weight.
I thank you for answering, and I can relate to what you say. Still, I think Ford must ble allowed to add another Mustang to the stable - that's how I see it - although its alternative drivetrain made it necessary with a new platform. As fond as I am of and with my Mustang Mach-E, I egually appreciate the ICE ones!

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Hate it or love it but it's an undeniable fact that the Mach-E keeps the Mustang alive. Its generates money and from what I'm concerned I couldn't care less.

There was a time when every Porsche was a sports car... These days Porsche is better than ever and the reason are the Cayenne and the Macan. The reason why they can still develop much better cars than Ferrari or Lambo are these two cars.

These days owning or driving a Porsche can mean anything. However, most people will associate it with the 2+2 seater 911 and not with some bulky SAVs.
In addition, I've never ever heared anyone saying "I'm driving a Mustang" while talking about a "Mach-E"...

Referring to your question though:
"Most" - more like some biased fans - hate the Mach-E because they fear that the regular GT could somehow develop into an electric SUV. This is not going to happen.

Petter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've never ever heared anyone saying "I'm driving a Mustang" while talking about a "Mach-E"...
I - for one - say it all the time. I use "Mach-E" to distinguish it from other Mustangs:-)

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
There was a time when every Porsche was a sports car... These days Porsche is better than ever and the reason are the Cayenne and the Macan.
From my perspective, Porsche went through some turmoil, but ultimately came back stronger than ever. One thing I think they did right and IMO, Ford did wrong, is Porsche developed clearly-defined product lines. Most in the US say, "911", "Macan", "Cayenne", etc. We know what those names represent. I say, "Mach1" or "Mustang Mach1" to a group of people in the US and half know what I'm talking about, half begin discussing electrics. For me, this is the irritation.

"Most" - more like some biased fans - hate the Mach-E because they fear that the regular GT could somehow develop into an electric SUV. This is not going to happen.
Long-term, it's definitely a concern. I hope you're right. I think Ford has a great opportunity in front of it. The Camaro is going away. I believe Challenger and Charger are leaving to. Chevrolet has already established the goal of going 100% electric. Ford could use this as chance to draw additional customers, continue ICE devleopment. There are a lot of cool technologies used in racing and other arenas that could be incorporated over time, highlighting power while continuing to modernize.

Will I drive an EV in the future? Probably not an EV but I'm sure my next truck will be a hybrid, and as a Daily Driver, that's OK.

But when I want to get into something I can feel, smell and hear, I'm grateful I've got Skye. And I hope Ford continues with ICE and the V8 in-particular so others have an opportunity to experience the same.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Hate it or love it but it's an undeniable fact that the Mach-E keeps the Mustang alive. Its generates money and from what I'm concerned I couldn't care less.
the Mach-E LOSES money. Even if it were making money not a DIME would go to buttress the Mustang.

The ONLY thing that underwrites the very existence of the Mustang is the F150. F150 has the research budget. Tech is developed for the F150 and then the Mustang gets it. Mustang only exists out of the benevolence of accounting and an edict from on high to preserve the name plate. Mustang can't survive on it's own. It's a welfare case.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Because it's symbolic of a lot of current problems. And they had to call it Mustang rather than give it a good name. And then they even put tri bar tail lights and a pony on it. This porky, jelly bean SUV with four doors and a stupid pony on the front.

It changed my mind about the entire brand. I definitely feel less brand loyalty now. I've owned at least 10 different Mustangs. They all had flaws, but they were fun and (relatively) inexpensive. I want to like Ford and the Mustang, but it's gotten more difficult lately.

Bottom line to me: if you've loved the Mustang brand since you were a child you probably hate the Mach E.

I remember as a child on a rainy day seeing a grabber green 1970 Boss 302 parked at the side of the road and just being amazed at how beautiful it was. And now there's some first grader walking down the street looking at the pony on the Mach E. It makes me a little sad.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
the Mach-E LOSES money. Even if it were making money not a DIME would go to buttress the Mustang.

The ONLY thing that underwrites the very existence of the Mustang is the F150. F150 has the research budget. Tech is developed for the F150 and then the Mustang gets it. Mustang only exists out of the benevolence of accounting and an edict from on high to preserve the name plate. Mustang can't survive on it's own. It's a welfare case.
No vehicle is profitable right out of the gate. Development costs far exceed the profit that can be had even if production was unlimited. We know that hasn't been the case since the start of the pandemic. And let's be honest here, the F150 profits underwrites the entire corporation.

But if it weren't for the Mach-E the Mustang would have not gone from a model to a brand. That's is in part what is saving our Mustang. We just need to see what Ford's next step is for the brand.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
But if it weren't for the Mach-E the Mustang would have not gone from a model to a brand. That's is in part what is saving our Mustang. We just need to see what Ford's next step is for the brand.
you're assuming model -> brand is a good thing. I obviously disagree. I think what happened was some shiester from Wall St. told the board, "we need you to extract 'value' from your nameplates. Your stock is shit, and going nowhere even compared to your peers."

and marketing couldn't think of a name that didn't blow chunks and fail in focus groups, so they hit upon "let's call it a Mustang" since that gets people's eyes to light up.

And Farley is sitting off in the corner nodding sagely, "yes, yes, gooood... our ESG blackmailers demand we do their will, so what better way to *virtual signal* our devotion to EV than to drag the Mustang name - the name that single-handedly stands for ICE and irresponsible, climate destroying ICE at that, and spackle an EV CUV on top of it. Now they'll love us..."

Petter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
marketing couldn't think of a name that didn't blow chunks and fail in focus groups, so they hit upon "let's call it a Mustang"
Apparently it was Jim Farley who suggested that it be a Mustang after another Jim, surnamed Hackett - who was CEO at the time - put what was going to be a compliance BEV, on hold.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Apparently it was Jim Farley who suggested that it be a Mustang after another Jim, surnamed Hackett - who was CEO - at the time, put what was going to be a compliance BEV, on hold.
He knows that Petter. Matt just like to be a drama queen sometimes. :giggle::like:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
you're assuming model -> brand is a good thing. I obviously disagree.
I agree with you. I have no problem with Bronco doing it because SUV = SUV makes sense to have a slightly smaller and less capable version of the Bronco.

I would love it if they made a Mustang II front engine RWD with a 350 HP EB four cylinder that weighed about 2800 lbs. That would totally fit with Mustang as a brand and I would be interested in a car like that. It could also get really great fuel economy at the same time as being sporty.

Electric SUV doesn't fit with the Mustang name. It was basically shock marketing. It does nothing but detract from the Mustang.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Last edited:

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang
The Mach-e is fine. But, why a 4 door cross over (EPA classifies as a small station wagon). Needs to be a 2 Door Coupe / Convertible to be Mustang. And interior instrumentation / info system needs to be more Mustang like, not trying to copy Tesla.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The Mach-e is fine. But, why a 4 door cross over (EPA classifies as a small station wagon). Needs to be a 2 Door Coupe / Convertible to be Mustang. And interior instrumentation / info system needs to be more Mustang like, not trying to copy Tesla.
I’m not sure you understand the reasoning behind Fird using the Mustang name for the Mach-E. The Mach-E is not a Mustang, it’s not supposed to be. The name was used to extend the brand into other vehicle types. The Mach-E natural competitor is Tesla. Not to far down the road there will be a two door coupe EV Mustang. Gotta keep the brand alive.
Sponsored