• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What will it take to save the V8 Mustang?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
First objective? Save the Camaro… If we can drum up interest in the segment, there is a chance the V8 could continue until EV’s are ready to take over.

thePill would need to disguise himself and shill for the product over yonder. An exciting next Gen Camaro concept is all thePill needs to get started. 😉
Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
First objective? Save the Camaro… If we can drum up interest in the segment, there is a chance the V8 could continue until EV’s are ready to take over.

thePill would need to disguise himself and shill for the product over yonder. An exciting next Gen Camaro concept is all thePill needs to get started. 😉

I think it goes further than if there is demand for camaro. Its government emission and fuel economy standards that are killing the V8, not lack of demand. Just look at the sales number for V8 power performance cars. Even the European car brands have high demand for V8.

The ideal transition from ICE to EV take over will look like this. We move small engine electric hybrid then fully EV.

Its not like we are going to be buying V8 powered luxury and sports cars then the next model year will be fully electric. This decade will be the start of everything going hybrid.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I think it goes further than if there is demand for camaro. Its government emission and fuel economy standards that are killing the V8, not lack of demand. Just look at the sales number for V8 power performance cars. Even the European car brands have high demand for V8.

The ideal transition from ICE to EV take over will look like this. We move small engine electric hybrid then fully EV.

Its not like we are going to be buying V8 powered luxury and sports cars then the next model year will be fully electric. This decade will be the start of everything going hybrid.
Every Ford EV sold helps keep the MPG average up so the V8 Mustang can stay in production. The V8 won't die if enough people buy them. As much as most of us hate the Mach E, it has a purpose, and it is raising cafe numbers.

Last edited:

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
Evey Ford EV sold helps keep the MPG average up so the V8 Mustang can stay in production. The V8 won't die if enough people buy them. As much as most of us hate the Mach E, it has a purpose, and it is raising cafe numbers.
Emissions is what will kill the V8.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
I doubt it. It hasn't yet, even though they have tried for 50 years.
out of curiosity what do you see happening then? the V8 just sticks around forever? Well forever in the USA because its obviously not sticking around in Europe or anywhere else for that matter.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
out of curiosity what do you see happening then? the V8 just sticks around forever? Well forever in the USA because its obviously not sticking around in Europe or anywhere else for that matter.
It all depends on the consumer. If people refuse to buy anything other than a V8, then the V8 will stay around. But if people don't care, then it will go away. My last purchase I didn't buy a new V8 car because they are all direct injected now. I don't really want a direct injection V8. I'd rather have an older port injected car, even if it makes less power.

It's possible the manufacturers will have trouble selling new and the used car market will stay high.

I doubt that will happen, though.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
but but.. muh emissions......

Someone explain why a 3.5LV6 wont be killed by emissions, but a 3.5L V8 will?

I'm interested in the number of cylinders so much more than the displacement.

And don't forget that FORD sells a shitload of trucks with giant gas and diesel engines that get shit mileage. That's what's gonna get shut down.

There is ZERO reason that FORD can't produce 15,000 V8 Mustangs a year indefinitely.

There will come a time what the truck V8 sales can't support the engineering/design of a new V8.

But that doesn't mean they can't use the last one for decades (like the Windsor)

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
but but.. muh emissions......

Someone explain why a 3.5LV6 wont be killed by emissions, but a 3.5L V8 will?

I'm interested in the number of cylinders so much more than the displacement.

And don't forget that FORD sells a shitload of trucks with giant gas and diesel engines that get shit mileage. That's what's gonna get shut down.

There is ZERO reason that FORD can't produce 15,000 V8 Mustangs a year indefinitely.

There will come a time what the truck V8 sales can't support the engineering/design of a new V8.

But that doesn't mean they can't use the last one for decades (like the Windsor)
It all has to do with the testing environment. where a 3.5L V6 sitting at idle emits less emissions than a 3.5L V8. But we all know that most V8 engines are much larger than 6 and 4 cylinder engines. Just look at the window sticker of a 5.0L mustang and a 4 cylinder under the emission sections. The 5.0L score is horrible and the ecboost is much more acceptable.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
It all depends on the consumer. If people refuse to buy anything other than a V8, then the V8 will stay around. But if people don't care, then it will go away. My last purchase I didn't buy a new V8 car because they are all direct injected now. I don't really want a direct injection V8. I'd rather have an older port injected car, even if it makes less power.

It's possible the manufacturers will have trouble selling new and the used car market will stay high.

I doubt that will happen, though.
I think you underestimate how many people do not care about the V8 engine. Most mustangs, camaros, challengers and F-150s are sold with 4 or 6 cylinders. And eventually electric motors.

So if you think this will be a demand related thing, then the V8 is going to die.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
Lack of demand once all these people get their wish for a HP 6 cylinder (providing that manufacturers keep investing to build 6's (inline or V) and fail to keep evolving the V8). That is what will kill the V8.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think you underestimate how many people do not care about the V8 engine. Most mustangs, camaros, challengers and F-150s are sold with 4 or 6 cylinders. And eventually electric motors.

So if you think this will be a demand related thing, then the V8 is going to die.
Oh I agree. I just bought a GR86. It costs half what a new Mach 1 costs. I didn't need another big, boaty V8 Mustang. Even though I love V8 engines I still bought something with a crappy 4 cylinder in it because I like the rest of the car better. So I know I'm not helping. But I just find something or another I don't like about all the new V8 cars right now.

It's all good.

I have a Coyote and 4V Cleveland. I can die happy.
Solid choices.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)