• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
I'm honestly happy it's been pushed back, ESPECIALLY if it means the recent trend of recalls becomes less frequent or even stops altogether. I just wonder how the S650 will top the S550...🤔
Sponsored

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Can someone help me refresh my memory? The first Mustang came as a 1964 1/2 model, right? When did production started for it?

OP
OP
Friend of Dorothy

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT
Can someone help me refresh my memory? The first Mustang came as a 1964 1/2 model, right? When did production started for it?
Good point. I’m not sure if yours was a rhetorical question, but according to Wikipedia page it was March 9.

Maybe it will be released (edit - for sale?) on April 17, the birthday of Mustang as well!

Maybe my school teacher was correct when they said that history repeat…

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The stars could align. I mentioned previously that the New York Auto Show runs from 15-24th April 2022........and as I'm sure you know the original Mustang was revealed at the World's Fair in New York on April 17th, 1964.

However, with a March 2023 start of production, that seems a little premature now. Traditionally, its usually around 6 months prior to production when a new model is shown for the first time.

But being a sucker for history, especially when it comes to Mustang, it would be a pretty special birthday present.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Back over in the Mach 1 section of M6G, a question was asked if, as S650 will now likely be a '24MY, will there be a '23MY Mach 1.

Zach at Grainger Ford (if you've not seen his posts, he is a very clued-up salesman with a no-nonsense sales attitude, selling Mustangs at several % below invoice. He's sold many Mustangs to M6Gers).

Anyway, Zach replied with:

Zach@Granger said:
It's my understanding that you can't produce a 2021 in January 2022. It may not be delivered to the dealer by then, but you can't build it that way.

It may amount to a 2-3 month shutdown to retool for the new car.

So, that potentially answers my question as to whether the '22MY would be extended to Feb 2023......it seems it can't. That would, in my mind, leave a couple of options:

1 - The '22MY runs from Jan 2022 to Dec 2023. Flat Rock then doesn't produce cars for 3 months whilst it's re-tooled. This would also have the added benefit of potentially stockpiling chips to ensure there are no build delays for the '24MY/S650.

2- The '22MY runs from Jan 2022 to Sept 2022. A '23MY is introduced with zero changes, and runs from Oct 2022 to Feb 2023......then there's the changeover to '24MY/S650 in March 2023.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Back over in the Mach 1 section of M6G, a question was asked if, as S650 will now likely be a '24MY, will there be a '23MY Mach 1.

Zach at Grainger Ford (if you've not seen his posts, he is a very clued-up salesman with a no-nonsense sales attitude, selling Mustangs at several % below invoice. He's sold many Mustangs to M6Gers).

Zach@Granger said:
It's my understanding that you can't produce a 2021 in January 2022. It may not be delivered to the dealer by then, but you can't build it that way.

So, that potentially answers my question as to whether the '22MY would be extended to Feb 2023......it seems it can't. That would, in my mind, leave a couple of options:

1 - The '22MY runs from Jan 2022 to Dec 2023. Flat Rock then doesn't produce cars for 3 months whilst it's re-tooled. This would also have the added benefit of potentially stockpiling chips to ensure there are no build delays for the '24MY/S650.

2- The '22MY runs from Jan 2022 to Sept 2022. A '23MY is introduced with zero changes, and runs from Oct 2022 to Feb 2023......then there's the changeover to '24MY/S650 in March 2023.
As mentioned earlier before I think a ~2 month retooling phase seems like the most likely solution, especially if they build the hybrid from the get got. I doubt that they could “retool” FlatRock within two weeks and restructure the plant so that hybrid cars can be produced en masse.

Besides, „start of production in March” could mean a lot… I hope that it means start of production will take place on the first of March 2023. Therefore we would have roughly two month for retooling and no need to introduce a MY23 S550.

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

Zach@Granger said:

Most likely No. 2 option. Porsche does that all the time. Speculating, of course

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Man, I really liked it when new cars came out in the fall for the next model year.

Makes me wonder how long a production run lasts? If 2022 MY starts production in Jan, I doubt they'd run past December, mostly because it would mean making a '22 car in 2023. So March thru Dec is 10 months. Anyone know how that compares to recent MY production runs?

And another thing.

200,000 Mock-Eez per year my ass. I want what that guy's smoking.
The original Mustang came out in April of 1964. Nothing new here.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT

Zach@Granger said:

I think option 2 is more likely as my new Mustang shows on Ford U.K. as a 202225, which I have not seen before with any of the previous Mustang’s I have ordered, makes me think they will do a 23 1/4, then Ford might even call the 650 a 24 1/2

Shelbeast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 and MME-GT
I think it’s actually smart to release a MY in that same year ;) Never liked the early dates… FIFA22 is out since September 2021... I never played FIFA but it’s the same with cars…

Back to the topic:
If it’s true that they’ll start selling the S650 in March then I doubt that they are going to build any S550s in 2023. They have to retool FlatRock and if they’ll build hybrids from the get go it might take a little while longer. BMW had to shut down their plant in Munich for several weeks in order to retool and more importantly rebuild parts of the factory as EV components require different assembling lines.

Anyhow, it’s nice that more and more people talk about the S650 :D
"Never liked the early date". I did a cost analysis over many years on resale value of buying the year before the MY and the during the MY. It came out better to buy earlier. An example in my findings was a low mileage vehicle resold was paid down and you would benefit. Another finding was buying late in the MY kept the mileage lower as the vehicle went into being a calendar year old, but little use/mileage. Your average year mileage does not take a hit.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
"Never liked the early date". I did a cost analysis over many years on resale value of buying the year before the MY and the during the MY. It came out better to buy earlier. An example in my findings was a low mileage vehicle resold was paid down and you would benefit. Another finding was buying late in the MY kept the mileage lower as the vehicle went into being a calendar year old, but little use/mileage. Your average year mileage does not take a hit.
No offense but I honestly don’t understand what you are saying. I literally don’t understand it.

As a customer who is not known to MY’s I would prefer some reliability in numbers (MY20 build in 2020 not somewhere between June 2019 and maybe March 2021). Besides, I would bet that 99% of the Europeans aren’t known to MYs because even the cars that Fords builds in Cologne aren’t sold as MYs. Here in Europe we simply don’t have MY’s. BMW introduced new engines to the 2021 G20 due to emission regulations but that was something very unusual. Generally speaking car manufactures built a car for 3-5 years straight. Nothing changes, HP, engine, transmission, colors, exterior, interior… Everything stays the same until the mid-cycle refresh arrives. Some call it “Life Cycle Impulse” (BMW), Modelpflege (Merc) or simply a facelift.

I guess my point is to get rid of the MY in general… It is just another way to rip off the customer – at least that was the idea back in the day… But that is another discussion for another forum maybe ;)

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Yeah, well they were vin'd as 65. So your comment makes no sense.
Sure it does, if you read the comment I was replying to.

Shelbeast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 and MME-GT
No offense but I honestly don’t understand what you are saying. I literally don’t understand it.

As a customer who is not known to MY’s I would prefer some reliability in numbers (MY20 build in 2020 not somewhere between June 2019 and maybe March 2021). Besides, I would bet that 99% of the Europeans aren’t known to MYs because even the cars that Fords builds in Cologne aren’t sold as MYs. Here in Europe we simply don’t have MY’s. BMW introduced new engines to the 2021 G20 due to emission regulations but that was something very unusual. Generally speaking car manufactures built a car for 3-5 years straight. Nothing changes, HP, engine, transmission, colors, exterior, interior… Everything stays the same until the mid-cycle refresh arrives. Some call it “Life Cycle Impulse” (BMW), Modelpflege (Merc) or simply a facelift.

I guess my point is to get rid of the MY in general… It is just another way to rip off the customer – at least that was the idea back in the day… But that is another discussion for another forum maybe ;)
Hmmm. I lived in Germany in the late 80s and remember MYs. Maybe it was different on the economy. On the one hand, it's so they know the age of the car and wear. On the other hand, I can agree that it would be better to just judge the car for value with the eye test and complete inspection. But, who has time for that.
Sponsored