• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Auto vs Manual …???

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I have had 3 10-Speed Auto's....2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2018 Ford F150 Lariat 4X4 and 2018 Ford Lariat 4X2 Sport with a Whipple.
Never had any issues with the Auto in any of them.

The trans in the Mustang was the best Auto I have had. The sport mode made it really fun to drive.

Herb
Sponsored

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
Stick
Never even considered the auto. I'm just happy they still make it in stick.

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
I have that MT82 in my 2013 with no issues, what issues are you seeing with yours?
Drive it like an old man going to the grocery store and it's picture perfect.

Drive it like a Mustang GT and the 2 to 3 shift grinds or gets locked completely out, the 4 to 5 shift gets locked completely out, and then the clutch pedal stays on the floor until I pump it several times. It does NOT like to be driven fast. And, well, I bought a Mustang to drive fast.

So in order to make it right I'd need an upgraded rebuilt trans ($3,500), a MGW shifter ($500), a quality clutch ($1,000), and some misc parts like braided clutch lines, etc. It pisses me off. I've been hearing for 10 years what a pile of garbage the MT82 is and what does my dumb butt do? I went and bought one of course, and have regretted it every day since.

That's one reason I'm going to order a new Mustang or Challenger with an AUTO this year.

Grabber_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Unfortunately an old football knee injury as I've gotten older has made using a clutch pedal not so comfortable after driving a little while (why I recently sold my manual SS 1LE).

So this time I will be going automatic. My friend has a '21 with the 10 speed, and I drove it a few times and was happy with it, especially in drag mode. Also, the same basic transmission is in my daily driver Cadillac and has been fantastic over the past year/10,000 miles.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
Going auto because im getting tired of my manual, easier to go from auto to "manual" with select shift than it is to go from manual to auto with an mt82.

raptor5244

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 CT4-V Blackwing

Drive it like a Mustang GT and the 2 to 3 shift grinds or gets locked completely out, the 4 to 5 shift gets locked completely out, and then the clutch pedal stays on the floor until I pump it several times. It does NOT like to be driven fast. And, well, I bought a Mustang to drive fast.

So in order to make it right I'd need an upgraded rebuilt trans ($3,500), a MGW shifter ($500), a quality clutch ($1,000), and some misc parts like braided clutch lines, etc. It pisses me off. I've been hearing for 10 years what a pile of garbage the MT82 is and what does my dumb butt do? I went and bought one of course, and have regretted it every day since.

That's one reason I'm going to order a new Mustang or Challenger with an AUTO this year.
I never understood why Ford kept putting that MT82 garbage in everything other than their top Mustang trims. GT350, Mach 1 and DH all get the Tremec. Dodge, Chevy, Cadillac all use Tremec in all their performance vehicles. Ford must have negotiated one hell of deal on that MT82. I am sure most customers would gladly pay $1-2K more if they would put a damn Tremec in the GT!

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1

Sorry you have issues, on mine replaced some bushings in the factory shifter and great results, along with replacing the fluid with new recommended fluid. The 4 to 5 thing went away. 1 to 2 also got much better, still 1 to 2 is not perfect.

OP
OP

snakeyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 MACH 1
The issue is it’s supposed to be spot on when it leaves the factory, not have so many holes in it like Swiss cheese. that the buyers/drivers have to complain and figure out their own solutions …

“well if I drive it on Mondays when it’s dry while eating a chocolate cupcake in my left hand and the temperature is above 70 - I’m good”

stop 🛑 it - “it’s junk” and should never have been installed. Recalled / Replaced with Tremec

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 2022 MT
My MT-82 in my 2011 was excellent. It would block me from getting into a gear a couple of times a year, but that was it.

My 2022 Tremec is doing it once a week at least, and getting into third can be a fight. Which is weird since 3rd gear has always been the easiest gear to get into on all manual transmissions I have ever driven.

I am hoping a few extra 1000 miles on the young Tremec will make it mature a bit. But there is no bad mouthing the MT-82 from me.

OP
OP

snakeyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 MACH 1
Answer =s A10’and then you’ll get that much needed rev er up keyfob

raptor5244

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 CT4-V Blackwing
My MT-82 in my 2011 was excellent. It would block me from getting into a gear a couple of times a year, but that was it.

My 2022 Tremec is doing it once a week at least, and getting into third can be a fight. Which is weird since 3rd gear has always been the easiest gear to get into on all manual transmissions I have ever driven.

I am hoping a few extra 1000 miles on the young Tremec will make it mature a bit. But there is no bad mouthing the MT-82 from me.
In general Tremecs can be a little notchy, especially in 2nd gear until they are warmed up.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
The tremec is NOT the silver bullet people think it is… at all.. but let them find out the hard way.

OP
OP

snakeyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 MACH 1
having owned two a 2020 GT350 and a 2022 ZL1 - I would agree they can be doggy’s and after awhile clutch fatigue sets in… being as I have a better chance of hitting a drag strip than a circle track the Auto works for me.

Honestly, I only own and buy these cars to make my neighbors jealous and disturb them early in the morning and late at night - no really…🤣

The tremec is NOT the silver bullet people think it is… at all.. but let them find out the hard way.

bloominguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
I hope I *DON'T* find out the hard way, will keep driving to find out. Still in the "silver bullet" phase here.

I test drove a Mustang GT (with the Getrag MT82) and a Mach 1 (with the Tremec) back to back. There was no comparison. I ended up going in a different direction at that time and bought a GM with a Tremec and so far it's the best transmission I've ever used (knock on wood). But it was that back to back test drive that sold me on the Tremec.

I realize how snobbish it sounds but after driving both I wouldn't even even consider the MT82. I also don't buy cars with automatic transmissions, so that narrows down the choices quite a bit.

If it's any consolation, I have the Getrag MT88 in my Bronco so I get to experience a perfectly average to mediocre Ford/Getrag manual transmission there (people on the Bronco forum seem to think it's practically a sports car transmission for some unknown reason). No, I haven't yet had any of the problems many people are reporting with that transmission (again, knock on wood).
Sponsored