• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

GT vs GT Premium

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
that's what I am wondering, how much of the interior is the better material. i'm new to the Mustangs and I assumed the premium meant I would get the better (maybe not best) interior. I did not select the 401a because I didn't want that Pilot package or the 12 speaker with sub stereo. I don't want the car to appear too cheap inside though.
you can actually see it in the NYIAS thread with the carmine red interior
S650 Mustang GT vs GT Premium 1680712685061
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
that's what I am wondering, how much of the interior is the better material. i'm new to the Mustangs and I assumed the premium meant I would get the better (maybe not best) interior. I did not select the 401a because I didn't want that Pilot package or the 12 speaker with sub stereo. I don't want the car to appear too cheap inside though.
IMHO, the 400a interior is decent enough but the 401a is much nicer with better quality soft materials on the dash, console, and knee bolsters. The contrasting stitching also looks richer. Best that you go to a local dealer and check them out side by side.

DemonWorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
you can actually see it in the NYIAS thread with the carmine red interior
1680712685061.png

I did see that interior, I have been looking at as many as I can possibly find, just not able to tell what the differences are because each I have seen, are of different colors. And, If I saw a 400 interior, not sure I would know the difference in the 401a.

I'm assuming it's all of the pieces with the fancy stitching. Does the 400 have any of that or is that where the 401 comes into play?

DemonWorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
IMHO, the 400a interior is decent enough but the 401a is much nicer with better quality soft materials on the dash, console, and knee bolsters. The contrasting stitching also looks richer. Best that you go to a local dealer and check them out side by side.

I would absolutely look at them side by side but it's not an option with car availability.

Grabber_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
I didn't want that stuff either (car will not be a daily driver). The only things I want from that package are the padded knee pads, and center console cover. Both of which I can add later myself...

Last edited:

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
I did see that interior, I have been looking at as many as I can possibly find, just not able to tell what the differences are because each I have seen, are of different colors. And, If I saw a 400 interior, not sure I would know the difference in the 401a.

I'm assuming it's all of the pieces with the fancy stitching. Does the 400 have any of that or is that where the 401 comes into play?
my understanding is that the 400A colors are just the seats and door trim. whereas the 401A is the seats, stitching, seat belts, and all the rest of it.

DemonWorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I didn't want that stuff either (car will not be a daily driver). The only things I want from that package are the padded knee pads, which I an add later myself, and possibly the padded center console cover. Which I could add as well.
that is what I was hoping, to add that stuff later. What initially bumped me into the premium was the recaros ... I'm going to stick with the 400 and add the items you mentioned as well. My goal with the car is to play with it and not add too much unnecessary weight but also have a nice car to drive to work every once in a while.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
S550 mustangs had different "levels" of leather, there even used to be a standalone option for a premium leather package. If you go sit in a 400a mustang and a 401a mustang, I was able to tell a difference almost immediately. This is just after 2 minutes sitting inside at a dealer last week; I am also new to mustang.
Again, the 400a comes with a half-grain leather which is likely vinyl with a mix of leather, vs. the full grain leather being a bit more premium and having that real leather feel! Hard to tell what the differences will be, if any, for the S650

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
S550 mustangs had different "levels" of leather, there even used to be a standalone option for a premium leather package. If you go sit in a 400a mustang and a 401a mustang, I was able to tell a difference almost immediately. This is just after 2 minutes sitting inside at a dealer last week; I am also new to mustang.
Again, the 400a comes with a half-grain leather which is likely vinyl with a mix of leather, vs. the full grain leather being a bit more premium and having that real leather feel! Hard to tell what the differences will be, if any, for the S650
That‘s what the “Premier Trim with Color Accent Group” gives you. As you mentioned it was a standalone option in the early years of the S550 but then was added to the 401a package.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Heated steering wheel, power seat, auto climate control, and upgraded audio system
all avail with 301A for thousands less. Ford audio is garbage. I mean I personally don't mind garbage (6 or 9 speaker) but I would never pay ford another $1000 to add a brand name plaque declaring it's just more garbage. What is inscruitable to me is that 301A doesn't come with memory seats. It costs basically nothing and is standard in much of the competition.

if you want a seating surface of any quality (and not Ford's lousy monochromatic scheme) you'd take your nearest utility knife and slice that stuff off immediately and re-skin with Katzkin for $1600 anyway. OE addons are generally grotesquely overpriced and often pointless feature crap.

Last edited:

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue
Whether or not it’s “worth it” is solely up to you. For me, I like my comfort and the extras provided by the premium features. It also allows you to add the 401a package.

IMG_2446.jpeg

IMG_2447.jpeg
Exactly why I got a Premium 401a. Soft touch, heated steering wheel, leather seats, ambient lighting, security package, and all those other goodies. Individually, they would probably (didn’t actually add it up) get close to the price of a Premium 401a anyway, and then I’d get all the extra goodies along with it.

OP
OP
AlloyPony

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
Ford audio is garbage. I mean I personally don't mind garbage (6 or 9 speaker) but I would never pay ford another $1000 to add a brand name plaque declaring it's just more garbage.
Funny you mention that. When I bought my current GT Premium with "Shaker" audio, no joke I honestly thought it was broken. I thought there was something wrong with it. It sounds so horrible that I didn't believe there was any way this could be normal. The last time I had audio this poor was in my 1988 Chevy pickup. And this is what Ford calls an upgraded audio system. There is absolutely zero mid-range, bass, or clarity to this Shaker system whatsoever. It's like listening to old fashioned AM radio. Unbelieveable....

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
I think a lot of people are confused on 400 and 401 packages... Or I am.

I read this as 400a (aka premium) comes with leather, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, single bezel screen... 401a only adds things that do not matter to me and the copilot 360... which you can add separately to 400 trim.

Am I way off basis?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

I read this as 400a (aka premium) comes with leather, heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, single bezel screen... 401a only adds things that do not matter to me and the copilot 360... which you can add separately to 400 trim.

Am I way off basis?
Go to my post #2. It shows what the 400a adds to the base car and what the 401a adds to the 400a. If the features of the 401a don’t appeal to you, skip it.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium California Special

Am I way off basis?
I think you're correct, for you. :) Personally, I am going to need those surfaces covered in leather and stitching (401A) or it's going to be a 90's plastic fantastic on the inside.
Sponsored