• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 S650 Mustang Steering Wheel

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
They flipped the controls on the 18+ models. Drove me nuts for awhile coming from my 15’. But you get used to it.
the 18+ setup is IMO more natural compared to 15-17. But of course the F150 continued into '22 with the pre-18 layout. I don't like the rendering because the pad is entirely too big and trying to do too much. Granted my Audi is a bit minimalist - a single button and a scroll wheel on either side. But the S550 did enough and was simple to use and grasp.

First rule of human-factors design 7 elements +/- 2 with a bias on the minus.
Sponsored

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
It doesn't have to be close because the design was adapted from another design. The bare steering wheel (itself) is very close to the design of the Mustang steering wheel.
That's...not how design works. By that metric the bare steering wheel is close in design to literally every flat bottom steering wheel in existence, which isn't new at all, tons of manufacturers are using it.

It's fine if you don't like the wheel, styling is subjective, but it has the exact same amount of buttons as we have now, and the flat bottom isn't anything new for the sports car world.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1 2022 MT
Excuse me for asking but what does a flat bottom steering wheel provide in a mustang?
If it were a free upgrade to my current circular one, I would still keep the circular one. What am I missing or misunderstanding ?

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
Excuse me for asking but what does a flat bottom steering wheel provide in a mustang?
If it were a free upgrade to my current circular one, I would still keep the circular one. What am I missing or misunderstanding ?
Its a "because race car" thing. In sportier driving positions or cars with tight driver zones it makes getting in and out of the car a bit easier. One could argue there's a tangential steering feel benefit in relation to wheel position as well, similar to a top stripe.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The flat bottom gives you room between the wheel and you torso/legs. It is necessary in a race car. For our cars it’s mainly about appearance. It could also be more comfortable if you drive with your hands on the bottom.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Its a "because race car" thing. In sportier driving positions or cars with tight driver zones it makes getting in and out of the car a bit easier. One could argue there's a tangential steering feel benefit in relation to wheel position as well, similar to a top stripe.
At least we are not getting this.

S650 Mustang 2024 S650 Mustang Steering Wheel 1662568808383

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Id much prefer cruise and audio to be on right side, not left side...

kendrickdlr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Marquis
Id much prefer cruise and audio to be on right side, not left side...
I've always preferred audio controls to be on left side. When driving with one hand, most people use their left hand and not their right. Plus when driving a stick, you're holding the wheel with your left by default...

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
It’s evidence of the silent grasping of straws that marketing departments use. They left that one out of 6g so they had it for this one. Camaro had it already. Not that it matters.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I've always preferred audio controls to be on left side. When driving with one hand, most people use their left hand and not their right. Plus when driving a stick, you're holding the wheel with your left by default...
It may be less about the side, vs I just dont like the buttons. I had an Edge ST for 4 months, and that layout was just easier to use. Ive been in an S550 for 2 years and still find myself looking down. I honestly use the audio buttons below the screen to jump songs and the actual volume knob.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
not to mention this big-ass pad impinges even more on my !! freedom of choice !! of hand position. shrink the pad (reduce buttons) and have it taper significantly as it approaches the hoop and now you only about an inch of obstruction instead of nearly 3.

My F150 irks me to no end with it's silly button arrangement and non-intuitive positioning of functions. I'd like to slap that designer into next week.

LESS IS MORE, people!
Sponsored

Last edited: