• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 S650 Mustang Steering Wheel

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
IMO, the Mustang steering sure does look busy. That's more controls than on the stick of a Boeing 787. BTW, Ford needs to up the quality of the leather material.

S650 Mustang 2024 S650 Mustang Steering Wheel ford steering wheel
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
IMO, the Mustang steering sure does look busy. That's more controls than on the stick of a Boeing 787. BTW, Ford needs to up the quality of the leather material.

ford steering wheel.jpg
Have you seen the wheel on a 18+ S500? 22 buttons. The difference is that this wheel has all the controls in one pod per side versus two on the current wheel. Also Ford vastly improved the wheel cover material on the 18+ cars. It is more than decent for a car on this price range. If you really want luxury leather there are many aftermarket covers/wheels available.

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you seen the wheel on a 18+ S500? 22 buttons. The difference is that this wheel has all the controls in one pod per side versus two on the current wheel. Also Ford vastly improved the wheel cover material on the 18+ cars. It is more than decent for a car on this price range. If you really want luxury leather there are many aftermarket covers/wheels available.
With Ford's adaptive cruise control with stop and go, you just need an "On" and "Set" button. With Ford's Sync 4a platform (on Mustang Mach-E), you don't need most of the audio buttons, either.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray

ford steering wheel.jpg
I really like this steering wheel, it's miles ahead compared to the S550 wheel for very obvious reasons:
  • Of course it's just a picture, but the leather looks way softer (higher quality) than the current one
  • It finally has a sporty shape with flattened bottom and thumb rests
  • The sharp edges of the horn will fit the design scheme of the car really good
  • Physical buttons and not some touchscreen pads where you don't have a clue what you are pressing without looking at it
The only thing I don't like is that it the "chrome" parts because most likely are just painted plastic again. Still remember Fords "everything that looks like metal is metal" announcement for Gen 6. Still don't know if they originally intended that and it was cut before launch or if they really just lied

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I agree my 20 GT has just as many buttons, if not more.
I do like the flat bottom with thumb rests , I like it a lot.

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really like this steering wheel, it's miles ahead compared to the S550 wheel for very obvious reasons:
  • Of course it's just a picture, but the leather looks way softer (higher quality) than the current one
  • It finally has a sporty shape with flattened bottom and thumb rests
  • The sharp edges of the horn will fit the design scheme of the car really good
  • Physical buttons and not some touchscreen pads where you don't have a clue what you are pressing without looking at it
The only thing I don't like is that it the "chrome" parts because most likely are just painted plastic again. Still remember Fords "everything that looks like metal is metal" announcement for Gen 6. Still don't know if they originally intended that and it was cut before launch or if they really just lied
The design for the flat bottom steering (for the Mustang) was adapted from other vehicles (i.e. Ford Fiesta).

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
It's not even close to the steering wheel of the Fiesta
S650 Mustang 2024 S650 Mustang Steering Wheel 1662379566571

S650 Mustang 2024 S650 Mustang Steering Wheel ford-steering-wheel-

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not even close to the steering wheel of the Fiesta
1662379566571.png

ford-steering-wheel-jpg.jpg
It doesn't have to be close because the design was adapted from another design. The bare steering wheel (itself) is very close to the design of the Mustang steering wheel.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
It doesn't have to be close because the design was adapted from another design. The bare steering wheel (itself) is very close to the design of the Mustang steering wheel.
Whatever. The wheel looks good regardless of where the design concept came from. We will all know in nine days.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The Fiesta ST steering wheel in the 2018 FiST I owned was definitely better than the steering wheel is in my 2017 GT. I prefer the perforated leather over the solid, it was also a better size (smaller). But the GT wheel is fine.

So I would be happy if the wheel was more like the FiST wheel. It would be good if the rest of the interior was higher quality like the FiST as well.

What I see in the photos looks good enough to me. One thing I would complain about is Ford's penchant for moving controls around all the time. It always annoyed me when switching between the FiST and the GT that the controls were reversed. And it looks like they did it again. Flip flopped the audio to the right side instead of the left.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The Fiesta ST steering wheel in the 2018 FiST I owned was definitely better than the steering wheel is in my 2017 GT. I prefer the perforated leather over the solid, it was also a better size (smaller). But the GT wheel is fine.

So I would be happy if the wheel was more like the FiST wheel. It would be good if the rest of the interior was higher quality like the FiST as well.

What I see in the photos looks good enough to me. One thing I would complain about is Ford's penchant for moving controls around all the time. It always annoyed me when switching between the FiST and the GT that the controls were reversed. And it looks like they did it again. Flip flopped the audio to the right side instead of the left.
They flipped the controls on the 18+ models. Drove me nuts for awhile coming from my 15’. But you get used to it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
They flipped the controls on the 18+ models. Drove me nuts for awhile coming from my 15’. But you get used to it.
I'm sure I will get used to it if I end up buying one. I am glad that all models changed together I guess. That's a lot better than some kind of randomness.

One thing that's nice is the GR86 has the audio controls on the same side as the 2017 GT. So it's easier for me transitioning back and forth between those two cars than between the GT and a newer Ford would be.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Now “this” is a steering wheel. Buttons, buttons, and more buttons. And it’s adjustable at 200 MPH.
S650 Mustang 2024 S650 Mustang Steering Wheel 1662386453461

Reactions: Jem

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue 301A, PP2, Active Exhaust, Recaro's

The moving of controls keeps my brain working. Going from 2012/2014 style to 2019 plus also getting a 2013 Escape and then a 2012 F150. All have different layouts on the steering wheel. Almost forgot about the ol' ladys 2020 Fusion. I also bought a GT350R steering wheel for my 2019 PP2 and I had to remove and swap the buttons because they were setup opposite each other.

OP
OP
lcbrownz

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will keep my 07 vert steering wheel. It's simple and easy to use. 4 buttons and that's all. My Android Auto takes care of everything else.

S650 Mustang 2024 S650 Mustang Steering Wheel 20220905_143740
Sponsored