• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Why did you get an Automatic over a 6 Speed?

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
I don’t believe I read any 10R80 owners were offended… we’re just superior.
Superior, lol, naw…Most auto drivers are just mad that they can’t pull better than a 2.0+ sec 60’ without an aftermarket torque converter ;-). Just messin…the autos are fast, had the 10R80 in my 2019 GT. It was quick. It would launch hard with no drama with the Steeda STHK and a solid tune. As good as it was, I still always found myself wanting a manual in it. So, my 24 is a manual.
Sponsored

Last edited:

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
manual is to automatic as King Charles is to Prince Harry
ie. one is the genuine article, the other a pretender that will never be king.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I think this might be a "The Tortoise and the Hare" thing. An auto might have a big advantage in the quarter when dealing with somebody not highly skilled with a stick but it might be a different picture on the track. My biggest problem with Autos is they don't always agree with me on which gear we should use. Downshifting in the corners, I know which gear to use but the Auto may not.
Paddle shifters can solve that problem but then it's not truly an Auto any more.
In any case, it's your money so I don't have a right to determine what you drive. If it makes you happy, that's what counts.

BlackFerret69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT Premium 5M, Black on Black.
That was my 82 as well. At 156 horsepower, the 302 wasn't much of an engine but the car was under 3000 pounds and had torque that wouldn't quit and it kicked in fast. Shortly after I got the car, a guy who though he had a hot car pulled up alongside of me and wanted to race. The light change and he was in my rear view mirror until I reached the speed limit and backed off. When we hit the next stoplight you could see the surprise on his face. Of course, it didn't hurt that the gears were pretty steep and I was in first gear almost until I hit the speed limit.
Same here. That 5.0 was pretty quick and shocked many a light to light hero. Funny, Ford even designated it as 5.0L H.O. (High Output). It was the ancestor that all later Fox body models drew their DNA from. Without it, we might not have the pony cars we have today. Lucky us, LOL!

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Let me start by saying, I have a 6 speed S650...

I got it, because it had been almost 15 years since I drove a manual, and I wanted to have some fun on the weekends when I drive this car. I came from a 2023 C8 Corvette, and it was GREAT. I just felt like I was not having as much fun. So when the 24 Mustang was announced, I placed an order in Nov. 2023. After selling my C8, I just waited for this car to arrive. Once I got it, I then remembered why I loved manuals so much. There is nothing wrong with an automatic, and most will tell you it's faster. But I think it comes down to the MODs, and the driver. Mainly the driver. I've seen MANY, 6 speeds cars KILL autos. But I'm not in it for that. I'm retired, and this is just a car I wanna have fun on sunny days with.

*Side note* - a car I would LOVE to get if I can find one in great shape, and with low enough miles is the 6 speed C6 Corvette. ZR1 Would be nice...

Why did you get an automatic over a 6 speed? Or you are rowing your own gears?
Like you I had many manual cars and truly enjoyed them. My wife bought me the car as a birthday surprise. She asked me about having a manual in her next car and I told her that I just want to point the car in the right direction, push down on the throttle and feel the wind in my face.

mustangmike2176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Dark Horse, '20 Explorer, '17 F150
My personal and only reason: IT'S FASTER.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
53k is nothing. Speak again in a few hundred k
You said, "... 10 speed Ford autos have issues. "

The life expectancy of a typical vehicle is 8 years and somewhere between 150K to 200K miles.

So by your own definition, EVERY vehicle transmission that doesn't make it to 200K 'has issues', which means EVERY typical vehicle transmission 'has issues'.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
No worries, the internet is like that sometimes...reading and not hearing a real voice.
maybe we should start using tone indicators like them Twitter users /s
(please dont actually)

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Paddle shifters can solve that problem but then it's not truly an Auto any more.
Sure it is. Is the driver manually disengaging and engaging the clutch(es) in order to shift gears? Nope. It's an auto.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Half a second faster in any type a testing....

Paddle shifting the 2024 is way better than previous Gen cars. I can attest, as I live in the shadow of many of the countries best roads here western NC.

That said, there are days when I miss a 6 speed manual Mustang.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe we should start using tone indicators like them Twitter users /s
(please dont actually)
On another forum I frequent, we change the color of the text to inidicate something specific. For example, purple means you're being sarcastic.

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I've driven manuals ever since I got my learner's permit. Until I was able to purchase my own vehicle, my daily driver was a manual. The first car I bought was a manual. Every vehicle after that was a manual... until I got a 2017 F-150 with the first generation 10 speed. Bought the truck new and drove it for 6.5 (80,000 miles) years until I traded it in for my current Mustang. Yes, automatics have gotten better, but to me, I got tired of the 10 speed skipping gears, the delay in downshifting, and the random clunkiness (this may have been corrected in newer revisions of the transmission). I've driven manuals for 2/3 of my life and 10 gears just seems a lot, but hey, better than a CVT. Lastly, and someone pointed this out as well, in the autos, IMO, it's harder to select the right gear (the computer may or may not know exactly what gear you want) versus a manual, you know exactly what gear you're going in... unless you get too excited and money shift 😂

I also have a 2024 Honda Odyssey that has a 10-speed auto, granted, it's Honda's in house transmission. Even that at times doesn't seem to be 100% certain on what gear to choose. But I will say it's been a lot smoother than the 10-speed auto that was in my F-150.

For you autos out there, I assume if you put the vehicle in sports mode, it doesn't skip gears? At least that's how it was in my F-150. Also, does it auto upshift at red line, or does it let you keep it there?

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
For you autos out there, I assume if you put the vehicle in sports mode, it doesn't skip gears? At least that's how it was in my F-150. Also, does it auto upshift at red line, or does it let you keep it there?
yep, sport mode makes it go through all the gears. if you have it in "M" you can run it to redline and keep it there and it won't automatically upshift. it will automatically downshift to prevent stalling. for some reason, you cant manually downshift if doing so will set your RPMs above 6k. also, if you have a 2018-2020 F-150, that may explain the shifting issues. those years on the F-150 and Mustang 10R80 had some issues. i've seen many of those year F-150s come in for harsh shifting and an adaptive learning reset fixes the issue until it learns again, then the issue may come back. seems like they may have ironed most or all of that out with the 2024MY vehicles

Eurasianman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
also, if you have a 2018-2020 F-150, that may explain the shifting issues. those years on the F-150 and Mustang 10R80 had some issues. i've seen many of those year F-150s come in for harsh shifting and an adaptive learning reset fixes the issue until it learns again, then the issue may come back. seems like they may have ironed most or all of that out with the 2024MY vehicles
2017 Ford F-150s with the 2nd generation 3.5 EcoBoost came with the 1st generation of the 10 speed (yea, confusing, I know). I would say 95% of the time, the transmission was fine. The other 5%... 🤬
Sponsored