• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

10 Speed Automatic feedback?

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I will say I test drove a 23 GT with the A10 and I really didn’t like it. I could feel the half second delay with every downshift and it drove me crazy. That’s why I went manual again. I can anticipate my actions faster than a computer and have instant power when it’s needed.
Sponsored

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
Hello - new forum member. Trying to decide which model I'd like - leaning towards the eco-boost as a daily driver.

These questions may fall into the "arcane knowledge" department, but technical details can be fun and maybe the answers can help me, and others, decide.

Is the 10 speed automatic in the eco-boost model the same exact transmission as the 10 speed automatic in the GT (or the Dark Horse for that matter)? Do their internal parts differ?

I believe a YouTube reviewer mentioned the eco-boost's auto has different shift mapping points to optimize performance, so there is that difference if true.

If the internal parts are the same would it be fair to say the eco-boost's transmission is "overbuilt" in terms of its ruggedness, and perhaps long term reliability, since its auto can also handle the greater HP and torque of the GT?

Also, for Upacurb...was your comment in this thread about the automatic's "sport mode" being as good as paddle-shifting something to consider, and relevant, to the base eco-boost model that doesn't come with paddle shifters?

Thanks in advance.
the 10-speed for the EcoBoost, Dark Horse, and GT are all the same internally. what differs is the programming and how it uses the adaptive learning information. The 10R80 is extremely strong, with it's gears able to handle just about any amount of power you throw at it. the weak point seems to be the clutches in the transmission, but those are still good for something like 600 or 700 hp.

on the technical side, the I4 and V8 have different versions of the 10-speed. the I4 has a normal transmission and a middle eastern market derivative. the V8 has a normal transmission and an NAAO GT Non-Performance Pack derivative

Finface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Red Eye, 2002 WRX Wagon
I will say I test drove a 23 GT with the A10 and I really didn’t like it. I could feel the half second delay with every downshift and it drove me crazy. That’s why I went manual again. I can anticipate my actions faster than a computer and have instant power when it’s needed.
I think a 2024 reviewer said the 2024 is tuned better for the new engine, so maybe it won't have that lag. My 2002 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon has a manual 5 speed. It's easy to drive - light clutch pedal force - and all the positive comments about the GT's and Dark Horse's manual tranny's pull me in that direction, but...I'm 67 and don't know if I'll enjoy clutching in the years ahead.

My Challenger has the A8 automatic and paddle shifters. I use them from time to time in Street Mode just to exercise the engine RPM's above 2,000. In Sport Mode the RPM's are varied more.

Thanks for the comment.

Finface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Red Eye, 2002 WRX Wagon
the 10-speed for the EcoBoost, Dark Horse, and GT are all the same internally. what differs is the programming and how it uses the adaptive learning information. The 10R80 is extremely strong, with it's gears able to handle just about any amount of power you throw at it. the weak point seems to be the clutches in the transmission, but those are still good for something like 600 or 700 hp.

on the technical side, the I4 and V8 have different versions of the 10-speed. the I4 has a normal transmission and a middle eastern market derivative. the V8 has a normal transmission and an NAAO GT Non-Performance Pack derivative
Roket,

Thanks for the information. Don't know what adaptive learning is though. Curious to know more about that so point me towards an article if you can - or share what you know.

Also not following your "on the technical side...". If they are the same internally (a good thing - plenty strong for the eco-boost engine), what does the I4 and V8 different versions mean? And the terms normal and middle eastern market derivative?

Sounds like the V8 Performance Pack derivative differs from a V8 without the Performance Pack - is that just programming, and maybe adaptive learning?

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
Roket,

Thanks for the information. Don't know what adaptive learning is though. Curious to know more about that so point me towards an article if you can - or share what you know.

Also not following your "on the technical side...". If they are the same internally (a good thing - plenty strong for the eco-boost engine), what does the I4 and V8 different versions mean? And the terms normal and middle eastern market derivative?

Sounds like the V8 Performance Pack derivative differs from a V8 without the Performance Pack - is that just programming, and maybe adaptive learning?
sorry, may have gone a little deep into the weeds there. adaptive learning is something newer transmissions have where for the first little bit, usually 1000 miles, the transmission is trying to look at and learn how you drive, so then it can use that information to move shift points around to fit what you do better. sometimes it goes wrong, though, and can end up shifting hard and in an undesirable way. about the technical side stuff, you can safely ignore that. it only is worth worrying about if you need to replace the transmission or are really into the technical details. Ford has all sorts of derivative parts that have nearly nothing different. it's nothing to worry about

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Did it have less than 1,000 miles? The A10 learns your driving behavior and is known to have rough shifts until the end of the break in period.

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did it have less than 1,000 miles? The A10 learns your driving behavior and is known to have rough shifts until the end of the break in period.
Learning behavior aside. When you press the petal to the floor and it downshifts 2-3 gears it takes a half a second. That’s what I’m talking about….it can’t anticipate or learn when I’ll need or what to do that.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Learning behavior aside. When you press the petal to the floor and it downshifts 2-3 gears it takes a half a second. That’s what I’m talking about….it can’t anticipate or learn when I’ll need or what to do that.

None of the 5 10spd autos I have/had did that. The car you drove must have had trans issues...LOL
I have seen bad shifting 10spds need the trans set to relearn to get rid of hard shifts. But mine never needed a breaking period and have shifted great normal driving or WOT.

No way you can say you can shift faster than the Auto.

If you like rolling thru the gears, then just say that. I agree it is a lot of fun rolling thru gears but being in a Whippled 10spd in Sport mode is crazy and I'd take that any day.

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None of the 5 10spd autos I have/had did that. The car you drove must have had trans issues...LOL
I have seen bad shifting 10spds need the trans set to relearn to get rid of hard shifts. But mine never needed a breaking period and have shifted great normal driving or WOT.

No way you can say you can shift faster than the Auto.

If you like rolling thru the gears, then just say that. I agree it is a lot of fun rolling thru gears but being in a Whippled 10spd in Sport mode is crazy and I'd take that any day.
I never said I can shift faster than an auto. I said I can anticipate what gear I’ll need to be in and go to it before I need the power. Let off the clutch and it’s there. That’s it that same as shifting faster than an auto. It’s situation specific.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I never said I can shift faster than an auto. I said I can anticipate what gear I’ll need to be in and go to it before I need the power. Let off the clutch and it’s there. That’s it that same as shifting faster than an auto. It’s situation specific.

Damn, I even read that a few times and still didn't understand it.

So are you saying you can shift faster than an auto in specific situations?
Because if you are you are still wrong.
AND to even compare that, you should have test drove the car in sport mode.

Jrws1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn, I even read that a few times and still didn't understand it.

So are you saying you can shift faster than an auto in specific situations?
Because if you are you are still wrong.
AND to even compare that, you should have test drove the car in sport mode.
when I need to downshift to say pass a car, I can anticipate the need, determine the timing of my shift and do so in a way that ensures I have the power of the lower gear precisely when I want/need it. As opposed to an automatic that has to get a signal that the accelerator is pushed, the RPMs are climbing and a downshift is required, then it downshifts and can give the power you need to pass a car.

as I said, in a manual I can anticipate the need to downshift given my driving needs before the transmission would even begin to receive any indication that it needs to shift.

does this make sense now?

Stratman397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep grand Cherokee, 2006 rubicon
I'm planning to order a '24 GT Convertible soon, with automatic transmission, but wish it could be a 6 speed, like my 2017. I don't do a lot of paddle shifting, but it seems like paddle shifting a 10 speed would be a struggle. Would appreciate some feedback on this.
had The paddle shifters in my Audi, hated them. they Seemed to always be in the way. If you wan’t to drive an automatic as a manual, buy a manual. husband And I have always said, to us, it isn’t a muscle car if it isn’t a manual. JMO

why couldn‘t you get a manual this time?

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
when I need to downshift to say pass a car, I can anticipate the need, determine the timing of my shift and do so in a way that ensures I have the power of the lower gear precisely when I want/need it. As opposed to an automatic that has to get a signal that the accelerator is pushed, the RPMs are climbing and a downshift is required, then it downshifts and can give the power you need to pass a car.

as I said, in a manual I can anticipate the need to downshift given my driving needs before the transmission would even begin to receive any indication that it needs to shift.

NO!

Sounds like you have never driven a 10spd auto at all.

If I go by your thinking that makes no sense. By the time you press the clutch to shift in your manual the auto will have already downshifted to the correct gear to pass.

Last edited:

blunders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

This doesn't make sense since in an auto you can downshift with the paddles to get the "power" you need to pass a car. I guarantee you I can press a paddle faster than you can downshift.

If you like driving manual then that's your reason for getting one, not because you can "anticipate the shift"

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
This doesn't make sense since in an auto you can downshift with the paddles to get the "power" you need to pass a car. I guarantee you I can press a paddle faster than you can downshift.

If you like driving manual then that's your reason for getting one, not because you can "anticipate the shift"
Nice try kid, but I trained for 15yrs under a master shifter to be able to change gears in microseconds with just my mind.
Sponsored