• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Wonder why Ford didn't develop all-new Mustang?

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Merc and others have already had their brake by wire adn ignition control hijacked by crims. OTA as done by automotive industry should be feared as much or more than Damocles.
It's necessary for advancement of driverless systems. Probably will be universal in the next 10 years.

Tursey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 525
Because now they have spent near to 0$ and they will have 100% profits, so win to win

pozi240

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP, 21 Bronco Wildtrak, 20 Ranger
It would have been nice to see the Mustang finally get built on the CD6 chassis as Ford has been telling us for years (hybrid AWD models would have been great), but, I look at the S550 transition to the S650 as the old SN97 transition to the New Edge. Identical chassis, totally different body panels.
Actually, the S550 was really just a highly modified S197 chassis as Ford has mentioned many times. The fact that the suspension, exhaust (header back) and wheels are identical specs on the S650 from the S550 should tell you that this model is just a full on refresh until Ford finally pushes out the CD6 based Mustang.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The fact that the suspension, exhaust (header back) and wheels are identical specs on the S650 from the S550 should tell you that this model is just a full on refresh until Ford finally pushes out the CD6 based Mustang.
[/QUOTE]
There is not going to be a CD6 ICE Mustang. Unfortunately that ship has passed. I’d love to see a CD6 hybrid before we go EV but I doubt the sales numbers will allow it.

agreywolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grabber Blue Mustang GT premium w/PP
To me its easily understandable why they bailed on the CD6 in favor of a redesign on the same platform. when looking at the past recent events with the pandemic and subsequent global recession and supply shortage, coupled with looming future events like the new gas engine bans that many governments around the world are considering, it can be seen that Ford is probably playing the safe route here. I can see this being a stopgap generation as Ford waits and works on next gen tech like electric, hydrogen and the like.

Also i personally have doubts that this is the last we're going to see of the ICE in the mustang, especially here in the US where electric charging isnt viable in many situations. we will probably see something like the ecoboost become the primary option for ICE lovers and the Coyote go the way of the Eray and have a hybrid system to boost fuel mileage to keep the V8 around for as long as theres a market for it.

but this is a personal opinion and i am in no way and automotive expert so who knows whats going to happen.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think they were smart to avoid making a $100K, 4,500+ lb Mustang with a 4 cylinder hybrid system, automatic transmission only and all wheel drive. And even though the DH/Shelby/Boss halo car would have probably still had a V8, being so heavy and automatic only a lot of people wouldn't have bought the $150K halo version of the Mustang either.

I understand some people are wholeheartedly in favor of the Mustang turning into an Explorer ST hybrid, but I'm really thrilled that CD6 was s$#-canned.

I wish Ford would go one better and make the Mustang significantly smaller, lighter and simpler, but I doubt that would have happened with an AWD platform.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I think they were smart to avoid making a $100K, 4,500+ lb Mustang with a 4 cylinder hybrid system, automatic transmission only and all wheel drive. And even though the DH/Shelby/Boss halo car would have probably still had a V8, being so heavy and automatic only a lot of people wouldn't have bought the $150K halo version of the Mustang either.

I understand some people are wholeheartedly in favor of the Mustang turning into an Explorer ST hybrid, but I'm really thrilled that CD6 was s$#-canned.

I wish Ford would go one better and make the Mustang significantly smaller, lighter and simpler, but I doubt that would have happened with an AWD platform.
You mention your desire quite often yet I still don't understand why you don't simply buy a TTRS... It's small, somewhat light and faster... Isn't it the perfect car? Honest question.

I hate the TT in general, way too small, it looks pathetic (it's size makes it worse) and it's really only driven by woman(here in Germany). Nothing wrong with that I just don't want to be seen in a car that is mostly driven by women. That accounts for literally every car in that segment (SLK, Z3/4, Boxter etc.).

CD6 would've been great: a huge technological leap forward, AWD as an option as well as several other things (HUD, 360 camera etc). CD6 would've been able to host a two door coupe with less weight as well. So far it's only been used for SUVs but a modern platform can handle all type of cars.

Anyhow, that dream went down the pipe in 2017...

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
You mention your desire quite often yet I still don't understand why you don't simply buy a TTRS... It's small, somewhat light and faster... Isn't it the perfect car? Honest question.

I hate the TT in general, way too small, it looks pathetic (it's size makes it worse) and it's really only driven by woman(here in Germany). Nothing wrong with that I just don't want to be seen in a car that is mostly driven by women. That accounts for literally every car in that segment (SLK, Z3/4, Boxter etc.).

CD6 would've been great: a huge technological leap forward, AWD as an option as well as several other things (HUD, 360 camera etc). CD6 would've been able to host a two door coupe with less weight as well. So far it's only been used for SUVs but a modern platform can handle all type of cars.

Size isn't everything! Plenty of small seriously good cars. R8 is not much different to the TT in size and nobody would ever call that pathetic!

People who are sure of their sexuality don't have any issues driving a TT :wink:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't like AWD, so you must not have paid that much attention to my overly frequent posts. I have looked at the TT in the past. I do like small cars and I thought it might be a good winter car. The older TT I drove in the past didn't seem that great. After driving it I lost interest in the car. The current TTRS is $75K, which is more than I would prefer to pay for a car. In addition to AWD, I don't like turbos that much. I do find the 5 cylinder intriguing though.

Audi as a brand is not my favorite. I do like the R8, but it's way out of my price range.

I guess women in Germany have good taste. I'd love to own a Cayman or 911, but they are too expensive for what you get here in the US.

I do own a Mustang and have owned many through the years, so you know what choices I make in cars. They have some flaws, but all in all they are pretty good. I was ok with paying upper 20s for mine.

I'm all in favor of a lighter Mustang, but AWD means heavier. I don't understand how people imagine more equipment can be added to a car without the car getting heavier. As I said previously, I don't like AWD. Also I want to buy less expensive cars, not more expensive. And AWD is expensive. AWD would add weight to the area of the Mustang that is already too heavy - the front.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I don't like AWD, so you must not have paid that much attention to my overly frequent posts. I have looked at the TT in the past. I do like small cars and I thought it might be a good winter car. The older TT I drove in the past didn't seem that great. After driving it I lost interest in the car. The current TTRS is $75K, which is more than I would prefer to pay for a car. In addition to AWD, I don't like turbos that much. I do find the 5 cylinder intriguing though.

Audi as a brand is not my favorite. I do like the R8, but it's way out of my price range.
Reasonable arguments. Thank you for your answer.
I like the R8 as well, who doesn't? It's just in another league compared to the TT - performance and money wise...

I guess women in Germany have good taste. I'd love to own a Cayman or 911, but they are too expensive for what you get here in the US.

I do own a Mustang and have owned many through the years, so you know what choices I make in cars. They have some flaws, but all in all they are pretty good. I was ok with paying upper 20s for mine.
I think most people like Porsche. Today their cars are the best you can get but they do come at a price... I generally don't like the design of their cars. Apart from the Carrera GT and the 918 Spider they do not look appealing to me. My father once owned a 928 and I never liked it. Harsh ride, underwhelmingly 'fast' and overall very limited in quality (back then Porsche struggled as a brand).

I'm all in favor of a lighter Mustang, but AWD means heavier. I don't understand how people imagine more equipment can be added to a car without the car getting heavier. As I said previously, I don't like AWD. Also I want to buy less expensive cars, not more expensive. And AWD is expensive. AWD would add weight to the area of the Mustang that is already too heavy - the front.

I don’t really get the weight argument. Lighter cars are better no doubt about that but a modern AWD system adds around 50kg which, in my perspective, is a worthy sacrifice for the performance gain and overall usability of the car. Besides, many carry around a toolbox in their cars for repairs and such. Add an overweight driver and the overall weight gain is much higher compared to the AWD weight gain.

Lightweight makes sense if one goes the distance like the Porsche GT2 RS or other cars of its kind. It doesn’t make sense to me in daily driving car that is required to offer at least a decent amount of amenities to the driver ;)

If the Mustang would be my second or third car that is only driven occasionally I would still option a modern AWD system if possible and dismantle everything else from the car that adds unnecessary weight like the insulation, rear seats, audio system and such. However, none of it makes any sense if the driver weighs in over ~80kg (160lbs). The easiest way to reduce the weight of my car for me would be by reducing my bodyweight…
Sponsored