• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Will there be a S650 Supercharged V8 Mustang from the factory?

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Does anyone know for sure or have connections with Ford to know if there will be a supercharged V8 performance variant of the S650 platform?

I don't care what it's called...GT500, Mustang Cobra or whatever. As long as there is a monster mustang is all I care about.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Right now we have no official word as to any of the engines that will be available in S650. I think it's probably a safe guess to assume the current Ecoboost and Coyote will still feature, potentially with some small upgrades.

With the Romeo niche engine plant being closed down, it'll be interesting to see if engines such as the Predator will continue to be sold and, if so, if they will be built alongside the Coyotes. Engines built at Romeo are hand assembled so building them with the Coyotes may not work.

And, unfortunately, with Ford keeping all information about forthcoming models a secret and clamping down on leaks, no insiders are likely to risk their job with loose lips.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
I am not sure if superchargers will still be a thing for the next gen cars from all carmakers. Dodge hinted recently that we most likely won't see anything like the Hellcat engine again.
I guess the new thing will be Hybrid-V6 oder -V8s that can deliver instant torque as AWD for crazy launched and still remain the V8 power for high speeds. Have in mind that when S650 might launch in 2022 a new GT500 will again show up late in the model cycle, so maybe not before 2026? I doubt they can sell a Supercharged V8 in 2026

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Does anyone know for sure or have connections with Ford to know if there will be a supercharged V8 performance variant of the S650 platform?

I don't care what it's called...GT500, Mustang Cobra or whatever. As long as there is a monster mustang is all I care about.

Thanks!
If they knew they probably wouldn't tell ;)

I am not sure if superchargers will still be a thing for the next gen cars from all carmakers. Dodge hinted recently that we most likely won't see anything like the Hellcat engine again.
I guess the new thing will be Hybrid-V6 oder -V8s that can deliver instant torque as AWD for crazy launched and still remain the V8 power for high speeds. Have in mind that when S650 might launch in 2022 a new GT500 will again show up late in the model cycle, so maybe not before 2026? I doubt they can sell a Supercharged V8 in 2026
I sincerely disagree. It is almost granted that there will be performance-variants of the S650 and my guess would be that Ford tries to build into the Mustang brand. Meaning there will be a GT350 around the launch and a GT500 down the road. There will also be a new “Mach 1”or “Bullit” above the normal GT. My guess: “BOSS” is next.

It would be advisable for Ford to keep the Name “Shelby GT XXX” as a high-margin brand. Besides, it’s a well-established name around the world. Everyone knows the GT500 (movies, media etc.) but who is familiar with the Cobra name? Not nearly as much especially outside of the US. If there is a GT500 or so then it will be equipped with the most powerful engine. If it’s the Voodoo, which would be my guess, then it will be supercharged. If it’s some sort of Hybrid-Turbo-V6 we might get the “Ford GT” engine with some electrification. It does 660hp at the moment and a hybrid setup could add a few hundred horsepower. As a result, there wouldn't be a supercharger but turbochargers ;)

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
I didn't say there won't be performance variants of the S650 down the road, just that the highest powered models always comes very late. And I have my doubts that non-hybrid engines will still be a thing in let's say 5 years.

Just an example how that could look like, just throwing in the S550 models we had and having in mind that Gen8 might launch as MJ2029
MJ2023 - S650 launch
MJ2024 - GT350
MJ2025 - Bullitt
MJ2026 - Refresh
MJ2027 - GT500
MJ2028 - Mach 1

DrPepper1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have been inside the Eaton Athens, GA plant where they make the superchargers for the mustangs, several times. In fact they make Chevrolet superchargers and some for JLR and even Sea-Doo watercraft there.

5 years ago, Eaton had over 200 production employees working there. Last year they were down to about 50. Like Ace mentioned above, Eaton stated more auto manufacturers are turning to turbo chargers, and superchargers seem to be going away.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Good timing! OK, this is about the V8 in general, not just the supercharged Predator.

"In terms of the internal combustion engine, Widmann says you can never count out technology continuing to advance. “There’s still a tremendous amount of bandwidth. The 2.3-liter EcoBoost we have makes as much power [300+] as we used to have in the V8s. On the other end we still sell a tremendous amount of V8 Mustangs on summer tires. I don’t think the gas engine has met its day in the near term, there are still a lot of fans of it.”

Whether that is enough to keep four-, six-, and eight-cylinder gasoline engines front and center—and for how long—is up to the customer, Widmann told us.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports-cars/a36353066/mustang-v8-is-safe-for-now/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=051221&utm_campaign=nl23820907&utm_term=AAA -- High Minus Dormant and 90 Day Non Openers&fbclid=IwAR05veEnk0YYSGKuZIXzkofXZcjWAzqV69mYD55Yg1upQaxq_ookwDMxtxE

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
Ford for years has been pushing for a Turbo lineup. Turbo cars are the norm for Ford, not the exception, obviously there are exceptions with what few NA cars are left.
With that said, I suspect that the next generation will probably have something like the 3.0L TT that is in the Explorer, The base engine in the Explorer is the 2.3LT, so it would make sense. Stock 3.0L engines with a tune are running in low 12's from what I hear in the heavy Exploder, With that said it is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stuff With Wheels
I'm not the only one that hoped that the current GT500 would have been a turbo car....

Luckydog7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Hotse
With Ford being last one offering a muscle car V8, I would expect a 2026 GT 500 to be the final send off by Ford to the V8. We can hope anyway..
Sponsored