• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Will the S650 solve the tram lining?

Spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Boxster GTS
This was an issue that plagued all S550s apart from the GT500. I remember experiencing it myself when driving a GT350 and a post-refresh GT with PP. I sincerely hope Ford has addressed this, especially for the performance variants with wider front rubber. I didn't see anything mentioned in the press materials relating to steering architecture, what do you all think?
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I've been left with the impression tram lining is more a function of the tires than the design of the suspension.

Michelin Cup 2s for example. While they are a great track tire, on the street they experience a great amount of tram lining. Swapping to a tire oriented more towards street surfaces resolves the issue immediately.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 02 150, 06 250
I've been left with the impression tram lining is more a function of the tires than the design of the suspension.

Michelin Cup 2s for example. While they are a great track tire, on the street they experience a great amount of tram lining. Swapping to a tire oriented more towards street surfaces resolves the issue immediately.
yup, it is exclusively a function of the tires and factory camber settings for their track designed cars. once you uncamber it and put on PS4s it goes away almost entirely.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
This was an issue that plagued all S550s apart from the GT500. I remember experiencing it myself when driving a GT350 and a post-refresh GT with PP. I sincerely hope Ford has addressed this, especially for the performance variants with wider front rubber. I didn't see anything mentioned in the press materials relating to steering architecture, what do you all think?
Not sure where your information comes from but the only real issue of tram lining in the S550 was with cars equipped with Cup 2's. Any other issues were alignment related. Cannot address an issue that doesn't exist. :giggle: :like:

KINGKONA

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/AE/MAGNERIDE
This was an issue that plagued all S550s......what do you all think?
I think it's a complete non-issue. Never noticed it, don't mind actually being part of the driving experience and actually having to steer the car, and feel feed-back. In fact I'd welcome more steering feedback.

If I wanted a self-driving car, I'd buy a Tesla.

Do you even own a Mustang?

OP
OP
Spectre

Spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Boxster GTS

I don't doubt tires play a major role, but can someone remind me what tires come on a GT350: (non R)? That tramlined quite significantly when I took one out on my favourite local back road. I haven't driven the Mach 1 but read numerous reports it did the same thing (though that was with the handling package, with the wider tires).

I think it's a complete non-issue. Never noticed it, don't mind actually being part of the driving experience and actually having to steer the car, and feel feed-back. In fact I'd welcome more steering feedback.

If I wanted a self-driving car, I'd buy a Tesla.

Do you even own a Mustang?
Take it easy. I asked a question, and in good faith, too, because I am excited about this car. Last I checked, that's was discussion forums were for. No need to behave like someone insulted your mother.

I do not own a Mustang, but have come close, repeatedly. The closest I came was a Boss 302 in 2013 after a test drive, but at that time it would have to serve as my year round daily, and I wasn't prepared to do that. So far, my V8 muscle car ownership has been limited to a Challenger SRT 392, which I loved. Obviously not a corner carver, but it was an excellent high speed cruise missile.

FYI, steering feedback =/= tramlining.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Eh, its tires man. My 2019 PP2 tramlined like hell with the wider PSS michelins and nitto's. The 21 gt with the 20" OEMs is nothing much to report. That being said, the PP2 was a much better driving car and felt like it was on rails.

GTP-J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2022Mach1
maybe just an issue with Cup 2 but if you want to use the car to drive to/from track events it's a little annoying. Would be nice if the new chassis improves it but I kind of doubt it will.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
maybe just an issue with Cup 2 but if you want to use the car to drive to/from track events it's a little annoying. Would be nice if the new chassis improves it but I kind of doubt it will.
Since the tram lining is a side effect of the tire there is no way to change the chassis to adapt for it. Either you live with the tram lining on the street or get separate tires for the drive.

GTP-J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2022Mach1
Since the tram lining is a side effect of the tire there is no way to change the chassis to adapt for it. Either you live with the tram lining on the street or get separate tires for the drive.
I've driven Cup 2 on road and track on other cars and didn't experience it to the extent in the Mach1.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I've driven Cup 2 on road and track on other cars and didn't experience it to the extent in the Mach1.
Iā€™ve never driven a Mach 1 with Cup 2ā€™s so I cannot comment. But Iā€™m fairly sure aligment changes could help to reduce tramlining. That would be a user choice and not something done at the factory.

OP
OP
Spectre

Spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Boxster GTS
As I said before, tires play a role, but they are not solely reponsible.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34304882/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-by-the-numbers/

"The GT350 has always had fantastic steering, but it's been plagued by the tendency to tramline, faithfully following ruts in the road. For 2020, the GT350R receives a revised steering knuckle from the Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 that increases the caster to improve steering precision and straight-line stability. Even with the adjustable camber plates kicked all the way in, the front wheels' eagerness to follow every crack in the road is largely removed."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a36030144/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-drive/

"However, we will complain a little about the Mach 1's tendency to tramline over uneven pavement, the car's steering wheel tugging in its driver's hands over undulations much as we've experienced in the GT350. While this adds an air of tactility to the Mach 1's helm, it can be tiring; the revised steering knuckles found on the GT500 and the final GT350Rs would be welcome here."

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Having drive two Camaro SS 1les (285/305s) and dailying track suspension (I maxed negative camber front and rear with toe to 0) I can tell you it's partially the tires and the suspension and your alignment

alignment being a big big part of it. Followed by the suspension then the tires. If you just put bigger tires on the car without adjust alignment you will tram. Maxing out your alignment you will team somewhat. But being fare here the suspension is a huge huge part to this and it is a character of the mustang. The Camaro had very little tram But would catch the big ruts with the crazy track alignment. It wasn't bad by any means
Sponsored