• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What will it take to save the V8 Mustang?

Ruin

Scouts Out!
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.froglevelbrewing.com
Vehicle(s)
15: GT/PP - TY
A home charger costs thousands and it take up to 7+h to charge to full (on 240v). What about those who are in transit..? What if you just want to run up to Cabela's... and it's 55miles one way? And you still have more running around to do after lunch... and Your kids need the car for Hockey Practice at 4am..?

People hitting the charge station on the go is a must. Full stop period. At home charging is easy for overnight top-offs... but it will not sustain someone who is a suburbanite, there has to be quick chargers everywhere... yesterday!.
You’re working with 15 year old information here. It happens and lots of people regard EVs with an outdated perspective. It’s one of the hurdles to making EVs truly viable for everyone. And every effort to inform the public about progress made is met with fierce resistance and *lots* of bad info.

Chargers start at $199 at Home Depot.
Many chargers can have a car fully charged much quicker than many folks realize. Some as much as 80% in less than an hour.
EVs have a 250-300 mile range now. Maybe you’re thinking of how far hybrids can run on battery power only?

To get back on topic… EVs don’t mean the end of ICE. They’ll just dominate more of the market over time. But given how many *things*run on both gasoline and ICE, there’s no danger of either disappearing anytime soon even as the automotive industry decides we’re all going EV.

That’s the main point with trying to make sure John Q understands where EVs are at now and how they work. They’re not perfect and progress must be made, but a lot of progress has been made that’s worth acknowledging. And even with all of that progress, our use of oil based products and ICE isn’t in any real danger anytime soon. Not as long as collector cars, performance/enthusiast cars, boats, motorcycles, generators, small-engine powered tools/machinery, and anything else you can think of that runs on fuel exist. The V8 ICE doesn’t need saving… not yet. Not for a while.

Cheers.
Sponsored

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Some as much as 80% in less than an hour.
Who's telling lies now?

Here are the estimates of how long it takes to fully charge a tesla:
  • Level 1 (120 V): 20 to 40 hours
  • Level 2 (240 V): 8 to 12 hours
  • Level 3 (480 V): 15 to 25 minutes

If you're a die-hard EV fan-boy you'll have a L2 charger and the luxury to park within close proximity of charger location - ie not street parking.

If you're rich enough you don't bat an eye at shelling out 60 grand for a fashion statement and the charging infra to keep your virtue-signaling vehicle juiced up.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 02 150, 06 250
Who's telling lies now?

Here are the estimates of how long it takes to fully charge a tesla:
  • Level 1 (120 V): 20 to 40 hours
  • Level 2 (240 V): 8 to 12 hours
  • Level 3 (480 V): 15 to 25 minutes

If you're a die-hard EV fan-boy you'll have a L2 charger and the luxury to park within close proximity of charger location - ie not street parking.

If you're rich enough you don't bat an eye at shelling out 60 grand for a fashion statement and the charging infra to keep your virtue-signaling vehicle juiced up.
he's not lieing (not a fan of EVs personally). but it works the same was as the newest generations of phones. They charge up to 85% or so at a very high amperage rate, then slow down dramatically for the final bit so as to not damage or overheat the battery. A lvl 2 will charge up to around 80% in an hour or so. and it takes another 10 hours to do the other 15% Even my iPhone works the same way now. dead to ~80% takes an hour. the other 20% takes 5-6 hours.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
And once again we are arguing over ICE vs. EV. That conversation is over. The world has chosen. Over & done,

We are discussing V8’s. Unfortunately the world is speaking again and the talk is depressing. Mercedes taking the C63 from a V8 to a turbo 4 is disturbing. But we still have the S650. Let’s enjoy these final years as they are coming to an end.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 02 150, 06 250
And once again we are arguing over ICE vs. EV. That conversation is over. The world has chosen. Over & done,

We are discussing V8’s. Unfortunately the world is speaking again and the talk is depressing. Mercedes taking the C63 from a V8 to a turbo 4 is disturbing. But we still have the S650. Let’s enjoy these final years as they are coming to an end.
yes, why I am taking some risk given current situations to buy my Mach 1. won't be a V8 for many more years.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
I have owned all different types of performance cars in my life. 4 cylinder, rotary engine, 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder. I also have a wealthy friend that has a small exotic car collection. I have driven them all Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston martin, McLaren (my favorite) etc..

Its amazing how each brand has there own unique sound and engine characteristics. I absolutely love the raw power and turbo noises that come from McLaren. Its something that cannot be expressed on paper. Its also why its hard for me to accept electric cars. The mustang is appealing to me because of the affordable V8.

But to answer the question what will it take to save the V8. The world is moving away from fossil fuels not only because of emissions but also because we have finite supply. I see hybrid keeping the V8 alive for a while maybe end of this decade. But eventually gas powered cars will be ban from sale. E-fuels are another option but they cost more than regular fuel. So this might only be used for enthusiast or equipment (generator). We also have to deal with new sound regulations. Even if ford is able to make a V8 run on E-fuel or hybrid it will have to be quiet.

So we kind of need a miracle.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
But to answer the question what will it take to save the V8. The world is moving away from fossil fuels not only because of emissions but also because we have finite supply. I see hybrid keeping the V8 alive for a while maybe end of this decade. But eventually gas powered cars will be ban from sale. E-fuels are another option but they cost more than regular fuel. So this might only be used for enthusiast or equipment (generator). We also have to deal with new sound regulations. Even if ford is able to make a V8 run on E-fuel or hybrid it will have to be quiet.

So we kind of need a miracle.
I have a bit of a nit to pick with your post. The US and Europe are moving away from fossil fuels, not the world.

The world will continue to consume fossil fuels no matter what the US and Europe do.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
I have a bit of a nit to pick with your post. The US and Europe are moving away from fossil fuels, not the world.

The world will continue to consume fossil fuels no matter what the US and Europe do.
Your right to a degree. Like I said we do not have a unlimited supply of fossil fuel. Eventually the world won`t have a choice. Sure it might take 50-100 years to get there.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

Well……You can add most of Asia and Australia to the list of converts. That leaves Africa and South America as the back makers. I would say this makes up most of the world. Actually the entire world will continue to use fossil fuels for many, many years to come. They just won’t be used in V8 engines.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Your right to a degree. Like I said we do not have a unlimited supply of fossil fuel. Eventually the world won`t have a choice. Sure it might take 50-100 years to get there.
So far every year since oil was discovered the supply of oil has increased, because we have found more methods to extract it from the ground. The last I checked the supply was about 350 years. If we slow down in usage, it will last longer.

Can you show me where 50 years is coming from? That sounds like a tremendous exaggeration, similar to those where people said there would be no ice at the poles by the year 2000.

Well……You can add most of Asia and Australia to the list of converts. That leaves Africa and South America as the back makers. I would say this makes up most of the world. Actually the entire world will continue to use fossil fuels for many, many years to come. They just won’t be used in V8 engines.
You think China and India will convert? Yes I agree things like semi trucks will use diesel for a while. And if you include coal or natural gas in fossil fuels the time frame is going to be even longer on the usage.

And they will be used in V8 engines, just the V8s won't be in small cars as frequently. More of the V8s will be in the millions of pickups that are still being built every year. Vehicles that burn the fuel a lot less efficiently than a small car would.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Without enough power plants the transition to mass battery powered cars cannot happen. Supply and demand issues are the problem that world governments are not addressing. In fact, when you see the abject stupidity of countries like Germany shutting down nuclear plants in favor of dirty wood burning plants the future of electric cars looks pretty bleak. europe-imports-wood-biomass-from-us-for-power-2015-12

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
So far every year since oil was discovered the supply of oil has increased, because we have found more methods to extract it from the ground. The last I checked the supply was about 350 years. If we slow down in usage, it will last longer.

Can you show me where 50 years is coming from? That sounds like a tremendous exaggeration, similar to those where people said there would be no ice at the poles by the year 2000.
Well I didn't say we will run out of oil in 50-100 years. Just saying that the world will probably move to electric by then. In 50-100 years I would assume electric battery cars are so unbelievably efficient and cheap that it doesn't even make sense to own a gas car.

Either way my personal view the world is moving away from gas technology. The timeline in which that happens is the only thing up for debate.

According to you it might take 350 years to get there :wink:.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Without enough power plants the transition to mass battery powered cars cannot happen. Supply and demand issues are the problem that world governments are not addressing. In fact, when you see the abject stupidity of countries like Germany shutting down nuclear plants in favor of dirty wood burning plants the future of electric cars looks pretty bleak. europe-imports-wood-biomass-from-us-for-power-2015-12
But for the sake of this thread, the V8 as we know it is on its last legs. The future for ICE, as limited as it might be, will be small turbo 4's and 6's.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well I didn't say we will run out of oil in 50-100 years. Just saying that the world will probably move to electric by then. In 50-100 years I would assume electric battery cars are so unbelievably efficient and cheap that it doesn't even make sense to own a gas car.

Either way my personal view the world is moving away from gas technology. The timeline in which that happens is the only thing up for debate.

According to you it might take 350 years to get there :wink:.
I felt like you implied that we would have to switch because the supply is limited. In reality the supply is essentially unlimited. We will not use it up in the easily foreseeable future.

I don't think in reality we will be out of oil in 350 years. What might happen is the cost to extract oil gradually increases until other sources of energy make more sense than oil. Right now, oil is the most sensible energy source to use.

Only if you limit yourself to new cars and limit yourself to no modifications. If you allow modifications and used vehicles there are tons of options.
Sponsored