• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

What brand of motor oil do ya’ll prefer for your Stangs?

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
Some tidbits I picked up from car mechanic forums:

* Nowadays any oil, even conventional dinosaur juice, is pretty much up to par as far as thermal breakdown. Synthetic oils create less sludge, but if the oil is replaced on schedule sludge is not an issue.
* What is a potential issue is mixing brands. All oils start out with essentially the same paraffinic base, then the manufacturer adds proprietary modifiers to improve flowability, lubricity, etc. Sometimes the modifiers from one brand are not compatible with others, and the results can be horrific (e.g. gelled oil pan).
* Far more important is the oil filter since grit from the air or fuel has much greater potential to degrade the engine than sludge. Synthetic media can trap smaller particles and more of them than paper media. Almost all brands have good reputation except Fram.

Main takeaway: use an oil that you can reliably find at a good price, use synthetic media, and swap them both every 7k miles.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT/CS, C6 Corvette, 1997 GT Convertable
Lots of great oils out there today!

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
Is Royal Purple still a thing? Seems like they were the gold standard about 20 years ago.

RJV15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si
Any idea what oil the Ford dealerships use?
I plan on having the oil changed at Ford to avoid any warranty issues.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Any idea what oil the Ford dealerships use?
I plan on having the oil changed at Ford to avoid any warranty issues.
Most use Motorcraft (85%ish), but the rest use whatever the local oil salesman is selling them. May be good oil, may be recycled oil, may be junk oil.

As long as the oil meets the same specs as the Motorcraft oil, you are good to go. You wont have any oil warranty issues unless you try some sort of extended oil change intervals or don't change it. Look for the API Service seal. It will tell you what it is regardless of the brand. Make sure it starts with an S and not a C. S is for spark ignition (gas engines). C is for combustion ignition (diesel engines).

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Most use Motorcraft (85%ish), but the rest use whatever the local oil salesman is selling them. May be good oil, may be recycled oil, may be junk oil.

As long as the oil meets the same specs as the Motorcraft oil, you are good to go. You wont have any oil warranty issues unless you try some sort of extended oil change intervals or don't change it. Look for the API Service seal. It will tell you what it is regardless of the brand. Make sure it starts with an S and not a C. S is for spark ignition (gas engines). C is for combustion ignition (diesel engines).
I always thought the C stood for compression ignition since both engines technically have combustion.

I agree with everything you said. The only oil I would use aside from Motorcraft is Valvoline which meets Ford specs. I would also recommend every 6 months/5000 miles, whichever comes first.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I always thought the C stood for compression ignition since both engines technically have combustion.

I agree with everything you said. The only oil I would use aside from Motorcraft is Valvoline which meets Ford specs. I would also recommend every 6 months/5000 miles, whichever comes first.
You are correct. Typo or brain fart. Compression.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
I have always used Valvoline 5W-30 Full Synthetic in my daily driver Chevy Cruze without any issues so I'm thinking about running it in the Mustang too. I'm inclined to do so because I put all 144,000 miles on the car, about 80% of those miles are hard miles and this is what my cylinder walls look like as of this past weekend. I haven't torn down a lot of engines but I'm thinking the cross hatching on this is still looking pretty good for 144,000 miles.

S650 Mustang What brand of motor oil do ya’ll prefer for your Stangs? 1695879705618

Mljh85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Pennzoil full synthetic in 13 elantra, 15 f150 3.5 ecoboost, 20 telluride. 24 mustang. Motorcraft filter in ford's, wix in all else. Watch reviews on filters etc when they actually cut them open etc.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
I’ll be using Quaker State Ultimate their full synthetic. Will use Motorcraft filter most likely. I’ve used this oil in the past on my 5.0s and the Euro formula in my past Audi.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
Is Royal Purple still a thing? Seems like they were the gold standard about 20 years ago.
I’ve never been a fan of it. I think there are better cheaper alternatives to RP too

It's Rob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT premium
Full Synthetic. Amsoil SIGNATURE SERIES 5W-30 SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL. One of the best out there. It goes beyond some of the standards, use up to 25,000 miles(highway driving mostly) or one year, or 10k miles heavy aggressive driving. Up there in quality, or above, Mobil 1 full synthetic extended. Not so costly if you buy directly from them and opt to become a 6 month preferred customer for $10 bucks. $132/year depending on your driving style.

https://www.amsoil.com/p/signature-series-5w-30-synthetic-motor-oil-asl/?code=ASL1G-EA

These videos are not what made me decide, but I did a lot of research on the best motor oils. This gives you an idea though.

Sponsored

Reactions: DCS