• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Typewriter Tick/ BBQ tick fact compilation?

FrankAR15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus IS Fsport, Toyota 4Runner, Genesis coupe
I understand Ford has communicated that it causes no harm.
Wondering if there is a correlation between doing first oil change sooner or later?
Some say the oil it comes with has special additives, so it may be best to not change to early.
I am very suspicious of additives like Ceratec. I remember when “Slick 50” was touted at being the greatest for you engine, only to find out years later that it gums up and wreaks havoc inside the motor.

Want to hear from people who have the Tick and also people who don’t.

What mileage did you do your first oil change? Tick or no tick?

Stick with conventional oil after first oil change?

Which type of synthetic after first oil change?

Also wondering if it’s more common to get the tick or more common to not.

I have 189miles currently , lol.
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Wondering if there is a correlation between doing first oil change sooner or later?

I think it's good to have a general awareness of almost anything. But specific to this topic, I wouldn't follow the rabbit down the hole too far. Tomes have been written about the BBQ tick, none with a definitive explanation of the root cause, what to avoid or what to do.

From my readings, it is random. Oil changes seem to have something of an effect, but from there, no one knows. First oil change. Third. Making the sound from new. Making it at X miles/kms. Brand X oil. Brand Y. It's like random, white noise.

I don't think it's any more common to hear the tick or not. Notice I use the word "hear". All Coyote engines tick. Some tick at a louder level than others and those are the ones being noticed by perceptive Owners. People who've never heard of this topic probably have it and never noticed.

I do not have proof, but I do believe the factory fill contains an additive, such as XL-17. I think it's a way of Ford gaining confidence that, no matter how the Owner drives, except in unique or extreme circumstances, the mechanicals will wear correctly.

One thousand miles, 1600 kms, is when some do a first oil change; this is driven by statements in previous Model Year Owner Manuals, referencing a 1000 mi break-in period. But that statement doesn't exist in the 2024 manual. And way many more Owners follow the manual and Oil Life Monitor. The 2024 Owner's Manual and the Oil Life Monitor are the benchmarks.

I did my first change at 1265 miles / 2035 kms.

I'm using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, 5W30.

If keeping the car long-term, I do think it's best to use a synthetic oil. I don't think there's any one brand of oil people use more than another. Many do use a "full synthetic", even the definition of which is debatable.

At the moment, two oil changes in, I don't hear the tick. Actually, I've never attempted to get down and study it. But if I did, I wouldn't do anything about it. I've never read a post or thread where anyone has confirmed a correlation between the tick, damage or long-term engine viability.

Ceratec is well-received. A lot of people with the tick use it. Some even without the tick use it. I hesitate to use any additives in the engine oil, principally because Ford doesn't call for one. As you mentioned, Ford officially says the tick is normal, so, what is it I'd be fixing?

The BBQ tick is one sound that has been identified. The injectors on the top of the engine, they make even more noise. Another sound which is also debated is the 2K rattle, which I do have, when the engine is cold. Some believe the 2K rattle comes from the fuel pumps. Others believe it is the cold pistons, slapping the cylinder walls.

FWIW, every measurement I've taken, including oil analysis and any sounds I have noticed, have yielded nothing of concern; they are sounds common to the Coyote and many other Ford products.

- Perform a good break-in, varying the driving style as much as possible

- Follow the maintenance schedule benchmark laid out in the Owners Manual. If you'd like to better that, great. If not, that's OK to

- Use quality fuel, repair or replacement parts that meet or exceed Ford's standard

Break-in, oil type, oil brand, oil weight, additives, fuel, tick, sounds, etc. : all of these topics can be highly-opinionated. And I think that's because of the random nature of many of these issues or concerns. If we'd figured it out by now, we'd move towards something en-masse.

Last edited:

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
Some say the oil it comes with has special additives, so it may be best to not change to early.
I am very suspicious of additives like Ceratec. I remember when “Slick 50” was touted at being the greatest for you engine, only to find out years later that it gums up and wreaks havoc inside the motor.

Ceratec is used for years now to solve the engine tick.

If it would be a problem in the future, you would already have heard about the consequences by now.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
I just did my first oil change and was wary of the tick. So far nothing, but it's only been one start up. I use Motorcraft full synthetic and Motorcraft filters only. Does this make a difference? IDK. Do I sleep better at night using these products? Yes. Ford designed and engineered the engine, engine oil and oil filter to work with their engines. I'll stick with what the engineers designed. I would use Valvoline full synthetic alternative as it meets Ford's standards. Anything else I don't have experience with in a Ford product.

I have used Pennzoil in the past with good results, and I am currently experimenting with STP oil and oil filter in the daughter's Toyota. So far so good, but I won't be using STP in my Fords or in the wife's turbocharged Acura. Acura gets Valvoline oil and Wix filters. My classic truck (FE 390) gets Valvoline VR-1 straight 30 weight (for high ZDDP) and Motorcraft filters. No issues with Valvoline oil in any of my engines.

So back to the Coyote...if I get the tick will I worry? No. Disappointed? Slightly. Keep driving and loving my Mustang? 100%! Don't let the tick dissuade you from enjoying the car. Lots of high mileage Coyotes out there with the tick and no other issues. Use quality oil, filters, and fuel, and have a good time.

Quick edit for the OP: I changed my oil at 894 miles and 6 months from production. I never leave oil in an engine longer than 6 months regardless of miles or synthetic vs conventional.

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I just had my first oil change at 6,000 miles, after driving it like I stole it. Just used the shop's full synthetic oil. No tick. Drives great

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
About a million threads on the S550 forums … tons of theories … no answers

My coyote in my truck ticks

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
Of the ten Mustangs that I have owned, including this 2024 GT, three of them were Coyotes (2024 GT, 2019 GT, 2011 GT). Of those three Coyotes, all three have had the tick at one time or another. I would even bet that a large percent of Coyote owners who say they don't have the tick, actually do...but have never noticed it. Typically, the tick is most noticeable at drive throughs or standing outside of the car, next to it. The tick also seems more prevalent after hard driving which may also contribute to why many don't notice it until after break-in. With that, I've had scenarios where I had the tick at around 10k miles, then not hear it again until 25k miles. My 2019 quit ticking at around 30-35k miles and I don't remember hearing it again.
I've tried many different brands of oils and filters (Motorcraft, Pennzoil, AMSOIL, etc.) with no measurable change. I usually do my first oils changes between 1k and 3k miles. I have 2 old bottles of Ceretec in my garage that I never used...and never used Ceretec in general. I've city commuted, did many highway miles, drag raced, etc. and not one issue due to a tick. My 2011 GT was the car I raced the most (legally) and it was a full bolt on car with a Boss 302 intake with the rpms turned up in the tune. Not one issue with the engine.....almost blew out the rear end, but nothing with the engine or transmission for that matter.
My recommendation is drive the car and enjoy it. If you hear the tick and are under warranty, have the dealer document it just in case. If you do hear the tick and become paranoid of it, it will ruin your perception of the car and ruin your enjoyment of it.

Last edited:

UNSAFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Vert, '06 Ford Ranger FX4 Supercab
Of the ten Mustangs that I have owned, including this 2024 GT, three of them were Coyotes (2024 GT, 2019 GT, 2011 GT). Of those three Coyotes, all three have had the tick at one time or another. I would even bet that a large percent of Coyote owners who say they don't have the tick, actually do...but have never noticed it. Typically, the tick is most noticeable at drive throughs or standing outside of the car, next to it. With that, I've had scenarios where I had the tick at around 10k miles, then not hear it again until 25k miles. My 2019 quit ticking at around 30-35k miles and I don't remember hearing it again.
I've tried many different brands of oils and filters (Motorcraft, Pennzoil, AMSOIL, etc.) with no measurable change. I usually do my first oils changes between 1k and 3k miles. I have 2 old bottles of Ceretec in my garage that I never used...and never used Ceretec in general. I've city commuted, did many highway miles, drag raced, etc. and not one issue due to a tick. My 2011 GT was the car I raced the most (legally) and it was a full bolt on car with a Boss 302 intake with the rpms turned up in the tune. Not one issue with the engine.....almost blew out the rear end, but nothing with the engine or transmission for that matter.
My recommendation is drive the car and enjoy it. If you hear the tick and are under warranty, have the dealer document it just in case. If you do hear the tick and become paranoid of it, it will ruin your perception of the car and ruin your enjoyment of it.

Spot on!

slowjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 GT base manual
I have the 1800-1900rpm tick, whatever it's called. Since day 1, it's really noticeable when cruising around in 3rd gear at 25-30mph. Ceratec made no change whatsoever.

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1

2,200 miles, oil change at 1,000. Full synthetic Motorcraft oil, no additives and you guessed it no tic of any sort.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Not to scratch an old wound but what puzzles me is why some cars have the tick and others do not? Also why many report after the first oil change? As an engineer that troubles me. I am suspecting that like others have said, some people just don't notice it which is going to skew the data. My wife has ears like a bat and I have tested her up to 19k. I drop off at 12k thanks to being in noisy computer rooms and playing in a rock band for most of my life....

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Not to scratch an old wound but what puzzles me is why some cars have the tick and others do not? Also why many report after the first oil change? As an engineer that troubles me. I am suspecting that like others have said, some people just don't notice it which is going to skew the data. My wife has ears like a bat and I have tested her up to 19k. I drop off at 12k thanks to being in noisy computer rooms and playing in a rock band for most of my life....
I've had the tick before on my 2016 GT and it's pretty noticeable inside the car. I can see some people not noticing if they've never heard of the tick, but if you've heard of it you'll know when you have it

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
Just took ours out for a decent drive after the first oil change and we now have the tick. I heard it as I drove it into the garage, it was not a consistent tick, seems to be most noticeable around 1300 rpm. We used Amsoil synthetic 5w30 and Motorcraft filter

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1
1/3 of a bottle of LiquiMoly Cerated and the tick is gone.
Sponsored