• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 Mustang TypeWriter Tick Question

Cars And Shenanigans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Hey all,
I know this is the dreaded post and I have not seen any other forum thread on this but my 2024 mustang GT with active exhaust officially has the typewriter tick. Of course, this is known to not cause any harm or anything like that, but is quite annoying. It began after my thousand mile oil change with 5W ā€“ 30. Thought it was my h pipe with an exhaust leak at first.
This is my first Mustang GT so I want to make sure I ask before I do anything just in case the Internet is leading me a stray. I have been notified by my dealer, the same old, ā€œitā€™s just how the coyote is we canā€™t do anything. ā€œ
Other forums and YouTube videos state to use Liqui Moly Ceratac.
My question is whether or not this is truly an option to get rid of the tick and if it is safe. It has 18,000 views on Amazon so Iā€™m sure it is just want to get peoples input. Most of the reviews have to do with coyotes with tick that go away after using it. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
I haven't heard the tick on my 2024 yet, however; I had it both on my 2011 GT and 2019 GT. Other than the sound, it caused me no issues on either car. My recommendation is to have your service department document it and enjoy the car. My exhaust was loud on both other cars so the only time I heard it was at a fast food drive thru. I never added Ceratac to the oil....never felt like I needed to as the sound has been known and documented for quite some time.

OP
OP
Cars And Shenanigans

Cars And Shenanigans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Yeah itā€™s not really an issue of hurting the engine. I know quite well about the bbq tick and how itā€™s been around forever and doesnā€™t hurt the engine but thatā€™s the main thing that bothers me, the tick. I can notice mine nearly everywhere. Wonder if the additive will work. Whether or not I will actually do it is uncertain yet

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
I have just under 16K on my 2018 GT, it's always had the tic and still does. I had the dealer look at it and document that its nothing to be worried about. I will be bringing it in to get that re inspected before I sell it.

JPGC_S650

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 2022 HD Road King Special
Yeah itā€™s not really an issue of hurting the engine. I know quite well about the bbq tick and how itā€™s been around forever and doesnā€™t hurt the engine but thatā€™s the main thing that bothers me, the tick. I can notice mine nearly everywhere. Wonder if the additive will work. Whether or not I will actually do it is uncertain yet
Back in the day, people swore over the ceratec but I couldn't tell you if it actually got rid of the tick. On my 2019, it would come and go...not sure why, lol. Didn't add any additives to it as I didn't want to give Ford a reason...

Jimmyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Hey all,
I know this is the dreaded post and I have not seen any other forum thread on this but my 2024 mustang GT with active exhaust officially has the typewriter tick. Of course, this is known to not cause any harm or anything like that, but is quite annoying. It began after my thousand mile oil change with 5W ā€“ 30. Thought it was my h pipe with an exhaust leak at first.
This is my first Mustang GT so I want to make sure I ask before I do anything just in case the Internet is leading me a stray. I have been notified by my dealer, the same old, ā€œitā€™s just how the coyote is we canā€™t do anything. ā€œ
Other forums and YouTube videos state to use Liqui Moly Ceratac.
My question is whether or not this is truly an option to get rid of the tick and if it is safe. It has 18,000 views on Amazon so Iā€™m sure it is just want to get peoples input. Most of the reviews have to do with coyotes with tick that go away after using it. Any info is greatly appreciated!
My 2021 was quite all the way up to 5k miles. Since new I was consuming oil though. 1.2qts all the way up to 10k miles. From new to 5k miles I would see puffs of oil smoke at 1/3 throttle or flooring it. So at 5k miles I figured rings weren't seating. So I added conventional oil and drove it and did several pulls. Pulled into garage and heard the type writer tick instantly. Dropped oil and added 5w40 full synthetic. No noise until car was driven and heated up. Long story short at 15k miles oil consumption slowed to .25 qts. I changed oil at 15k used 5w40 with one bottle of certec and noise has been gone since. At 22k now with oil consumption still at .25qts. Still quite and runs very strong with no issues even with a tune and doing 160 several times. I figured if she's gonna blow up I'd rather find out sooner than later. She's still holding up and running quit with ceratec. At 25k I will try to get a boriscope down I there to see what my issue was with oil consumption. Ford says the noise is normal but whose knows... I just drive it and enjoy it. Life is to short and nothing is perfect... nothing.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
My concern is twofold :

1. Why do only some cars have the tick and others don't ?
2. Why does it seem to show up after the first oil change?

# 1 can possibly be explained by the supposition that maybe some people hear it and others do not.

But what about #2 ?

Seems odd to me.

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Oh yes it does ..They would have to prove that ceratec was the cause of the tick . But the tick happened before any additive .. and motorcraft oil does have additives in it too .. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
I don't disagree that they would have to prove the Ceratec is at fault.

Adding an additive is not covered because you aren't using a variation of another additive. There was never an additive in the first place. Ceratec is considered an additive. The composition of an API certified oil is not an additive. Motorcraft oil is seen as a product engineered to Ford's spec. FYI.... Motorcraft isn't factory fill at all plants.

Last edited:

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
Didn't Ford initially offer some additive but quickly discontinued it?
Maybe my memory is failing me.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT 6spd
My concern is twofold :

1. Why do only some cars have the tick and others don't ?
2. Why does it seem to show up after the first oil change?

# 1 can possibly be explained by the supposition that maybe some people hear it and others do not.

But what about #2 ?

Seems odd to me.
doesnā€™t show up just after the first oil Change. Shows up random times plenty. I bet some have it and donā€™t realize it honestly based on many factors

goodlettjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
show me a claim where ceratec is to blaim ..been used for over 10 years ..show me please ???
I'm not sure where you are coming from? I said " I don't disagree that they would have to prove the Ceratec is at fault. " Not Ceretec is at fault.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Several have proposed ideas as to what the tick is, none of which have been confirmed. FWIW, out of all these threads, I've never read of anyone correlating the tick to an engine problem or failure.

Ford has stated the BBQ tick is a normal part of the engine's operation. Ford's advice is to do nothing. I suspect Engineers within Ford know what the tick is, but will not comment publicly; there'd be a class action suit for selling "defective" engines.

Countless people are driving vehicles with the tick, most unaware of the topic. I don't have the tick, but if it develops, my current plan is to do nothing. Using Ceratec (or any additive) might remove the sound, but what is it actually "fixing"? Unless I can quantifiably determine the tick is being detrimental, I'll leave as-is.

These engines and drivetrains: they have hundreds of mechanical parts moving around, all at different stress loads and operating temperatures. Depending on the mode I'm in, temperature of the day and the temperature of the car, I hear all kinds of stuff, none of which has been shown to be a problem.

I have read up on and learned from others on these topics. Other than raise my awareness, I've left everything on the car as-is.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
doesnā€™t show up just after the first oil Change. Shows up random times plenty. I bet some have it and donā€™t realize it honestly based on many factors
It's funny, not funny ha ha funny, but there is a similar post on the Charger Forums for the "Hemi Tick". Different motors but same complaint. It's annoying for sure but the dealers service departments says its a non issue. My son's Charger has been doing it for some time and its worse on some days and makes no noise on others.

My 2020 ScatPack never ticked but my 2023 ScatPack started ticking after the 1st oil change at 5k miles

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144