• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tint Ideas

MontegoRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM Power Wagon
I'm seeing a lot of people saying that they plan window tint as the first "mod" for their Mustang. Here in PA, transmittance has to be 70% on all windows of passenger cars newer than 1998. I'm thinking I may play nice for some windows, but buck the rules for the rear. My thought is 30% on all side windows, 15% on the rear window, and possibly even 50% on the windshield (maybe just 5-10% above the AS1 line).

What are others' thoughts on tint levels? And any specific brand/line of tint? It's been a while since I've actually dug into the different films on the market.

Oh, this will be on a DH premium, Blue Ember.
Sponsored

10basscat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
20% ceramic all the way around with the window strip is all I will ever use. Obviously I live in a state where I’m not concerned. But that has been my go-to setup for a long time.

S650 Mustang Tint Ideas IMG_5924

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
If you're not already familiar, ceramic tint is the latest generation/type on offer. I have it installed and it works very well. Blocks UV rays while not interrupting radio signals (cell, wireless, garage door opener).

I have 30% sides and back (legal in CO), with a 70% across the entire windshield (illegal in CO). Sides and the back work fine. Dark, but not too dark. Doesn't get any interest from the coppers. Regarding the front, the factory tint is often 80%. Going to 70%, the difference is slight, but the benefits of UV blocking are welcome.

I've seen some people go way darker, legal and illegal ways. If driving at night, it's something to consider. And certainly, it could get some unwanted interest.

YMMV.

If considering different levels of tint, see that the detailer has samples. You can look through towards the light to see what you like. You can also Google tinted cars with different interiors. With same tint, a car with white interior will display brighter, sometimes much so, versus one with a dark or black interior.

Edit: ceramic tint has an additional benefit in that it will not affect polarized lenses (for Sun or eye correction).

S650 Mustang Tint Ideas tint example

Last edited:

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
All ceramic. I like 15% driver, passenger and rear. 5% back side windows (lower chance of theft for things stowed in back seats). I didn't do anything on the windshield last time, and I'm a little reluctant, but I like the UV protection for temperature, so I might consider something clear. At night backing up or in dark parking decks, I roll a window down if I need a little more light for safety.

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP
Since my state has limits, I am just going for max legal tint.... my 2006 Mustang was tinted in another state (too dark for this state) and cops hassled me a few times. The 2018 is max legal and no hassles.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Some reference photos, taken just now.

XPEL ceramic tint. Full Sun. 30% sides and back, 70% full windshield.

S650 Mustang Tint Ideas tint skye 002

S650 Mustang Tint Ideas tint skye 003

S650 Mustang Tint Ideas tint skye 004

S650 Mustang Tint Ideas tint skye 005

S650 Mustang Tint Ideas tint skye 006

S650 Mustang Tint Ideas tint skye 007

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
XPEL Prime XR Plus is the best stuff there is, by far. out where i live, i have never heard of someone getting pulled over for tint alone. if someone does get a fine for tint, i'm sure it's one of those add-on things because they were being unreasonable

i think my previous mustangs (including current one) have been 35% on all windows with no windshield tint, 100% legal here (you can technically do 33% on the front and black out the other windows). might try some light tinting on the windshield of the Dark Horse to make things less hot in the summer, and something like 20% on the quarter and rear windows

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
I got a tint ticket back in 2012 in Golden, CO. The cop was really only interested in using his new meter. Literally the only thing he wrote me for and it was a fix it ticket. I believe I had 25% all around. I had to remove the tint on the front two windows then re-tint after getting tested again. I have CO legal on my other vehicles and even that is a bit dark at night.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
My plan is 20% front rear back and 70% on windshield. All are illegal but I"m not really interested in people seeing inside, and with over a month straight of 100 degree weather, I'm going with the cheapest high-IR blocking tint I can get.

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10
In Florida the legal limit is no less than 28% on the front windows, 15% on the back windows and rear. No tinting of the windshield below the line.

I've done quite a bit of research and will install Llumar F1 Stratos at 35% all the way around. This stuff is incredible, with 67% Infrared Energy Rejection, you hardly feel any heat at all despite the scorching sun outside. That means I don't need to go dark to stay cool. Most expensive I think, but at $600 worth every penny. Supposedly self-healing too and lifetime warranty.

I've seen some cars with the windshield tinted at 70%, barely noticeable. Yes, it does keep the car way cooler inside and reduces glare, but it is illegal in FL and it is noticeable.

Blue Ember DH like yours.

OP
OP
MontegoRX

MontegoRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM Power Wagon
In Florida the legal limit is no less than 28% on the front windows, 15% on the back windows and rear. No tinting of the windshield below the line.

I've done quite a bit of research and will install Llumar F1 Stratos at 35% all the way around. This stuff is incredible, with 67% Infrared Energy Rejection, you hardly feel any heat at all despite the scorching sun outside. That means I don't need to go dark to stay cool. Most expensive I think, but at $600 worth every penny. Supposedly self-healing too and lifetime warranty.

I've seen some cars with the windshield tinted at 70%, barely noticeable. Yes, it does keep the car way cooler inside and reduces glare, but it is illegal in FL and it is noticeable.

Blue Ember DH like yours.
I'm looking at the Prime XR Plus by XPEL. Has 98% heat rejection and lifetime warranty.

https://distinct-auto.com/automotive-window-tinting/

Pyroguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
I plan on just going with 35% on the sides and back. I think 20% would get me in trouble. 50% is legal in WI. I never thought about 70% on the front. I have to think about that.
Sponsored