• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rumor [Autocar]: 2023 Mustang will be AWD Hybrid V8 (in Europe Only)

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 Supercharger, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I see the Camaro in the rear end... The hump over the wheel well...
Sponsored

Reactions: JWS

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
If auto is the only option than awd might be enough for me to give up the 3rd pedal.

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
I can confirm it’s Hybrid V8 AWD with gearbox similar to that of the Suv Ford Mach EV. No gears will be rowing with this configuration.
This doesn’t sound right to me. The Mach E doesn’t really have a gearbox, so how can this Mustang have a gearbox similar to the Mach E?

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
If the car really will be a hybrid with AWD, I personally would have less than zero interest in it. First because a hybrid means it will be heavier and more complicated, and second, because either a hybrid and/or AWD means it will almost certainly only be available with an automatic transmission, and there will be no manual (I can't imagine cheapskate Jim Hackett spending the money to develop a stick for such a drivetrain combination).

I suspect that Ford, in Hackett's misbegotten cost-cutting obsession, will use a drivetrain from some other vehicle for the next generation Mustang. If it's an AWD hybrid, that's because some other vehicles will be using it. As the article said, it will be a shared platform with the Explorer and Aviator.

Gee, sounds like the perfect underpinnings for a sporty pony car - build it on the same platform as a SUV.

I'm old-school (and old...). I totally appreciate the need for fuel efficient cars for basic transportation. But for a fun car, I like it simple and pure. A prefer a naturally-aspirated V8 engine, RWD, coupled to an old-fashioned row-your-own manual transmission. I'm not afraid of a clutch pedal. I don't care if a computer-controlled 10-speed DCT can shift in thousandths of a second, or if a hybrid is a few seconds faster around the Nurburgring. To me, how a car feels to drive in the seat of my pants is much more important than the "numbers". I've found that many people who are hung up on 'numbers' don't generate them themselves. It just shows they can read road tests. Many people obsess about the 'numbers' to brag about them at their local gym or happy hour. I care more about how a car feels to drive, how much fun it is, how engaging it is. If it speaks to me.

For my admittedly dinosaur-like perspective, no hybrid or electric, automatic transmission car will ever have a soul. It's fine for transportation to save gas, but for pure fun, I'll stick with the old-school analog approach (big surprise).
Last I heard Ford was stating that the next Mustang would focus “less on the 0 to 60” and more on “how the car makes you feel.” There’s hope.

p.s. An AWD, 6spd manual, gas only Mustang is a dream car in my book.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP1
This doesn’t sound right to me. The Mach E doesn’t really have a gearbox, so how can this Mustang have a gearbox similar to the Mach E?
Sorry, appreciate you bringing that up. My mind shoots off sometimes... center consul radius similar to the Mach E (what my brain thought to say). Because you’re right the Mach E doesn’t have one no matter if you do RWD or AWD, it’ll be that single-speed transmissions. They aren't equipped with any kind of torque vectoring or limited-slip differential, both of which are being ironed out for this model.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Front wheels electrically direct-driven with rear drive V8 power... so poor mans 918 Spyder? :cwl::crackup::crackup:

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
This is bascially in line with what Fords Darren Palmer told me in an short interview, that to his understanding all ICEs will become Hybrids in the future.

Ford will not leave the EU market for the Mustang, they sell well to good here (in Germany it's always in the top 5 sportscars sales numbers). But there's no way that they can still offer pure ICE engines with so much power. Even the Focus RS was delayed to redesign it to fit the new fleet emission numbers.
With the Explorer Hybrid they already show us, that they can offer a big engine as a Hybrid in Europe that can meet the requirement. The Hybrids are even measured so low, that you bascially pay less taxes for the Explorer than for a 70hp VW Polo. So Hybrid is the only way to actually reach the about 95g CO²/km.

Ford also knows that it is way too early to let the V8 go. So V8 Hybrid is definitely the best option to meet regulations but still let fans enjoy the big engine. I guess first one of Dodge, Ford and Chevy to not offer a V8 anymore will have a real problem on the market.

Overall I really love the idea of an AWD V8 Hybrid. Let's just imagine it could offer 0-60mph in 3s, 30+mpg and better overall performance for mid-$40k, I would definitely be interested in that

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
If I wanted AWD, I'd buy an SUV. If I wanted a hybrid, I'd buy a Prius.

This is fundamental change.

Has Ford learned nothing from the past?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think AWD could be fun and I'd like to see Ford continue to do that in the Focus RS or better yet a Fiesta with AWD and more than 200 hp. To me AWD is for blasting around at lower speeds in low traction settings. And it fits in a small car (or an SUV in some cases).

But I would like the Mustang set up for handling and I want to take it to the road course. I don't really want AWD on a Mustang unless it's the ultimately most powerful Mustang like a GT500 that can overpower the tires at 50+ mph. AWD makes sense in a vehicle like that.

I'm not against the option of hybrid for people who want it, but I'm not planning to buy a hybrid unless some situation comes up that forces me into it. I think the regulations that are forcing all this complexity into cars should be repealed and rolled back. Let the market decide how efficient cars will be by people choosing what they want.

Oh, and a car that shuts itself off at every stop light - that's also a non-starter for me. No thanks.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Awd makes sense on the street. It will depend on the total combined power and actual size of the v8 imo. No 4.0 liters please... But, a corn fed gen3 307ci coyote w/ a10 that will wag it tail threw the first 3-4 gears sure has been fun.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Just in case some didn't actually bother to read the original post...... :like:

"So, this article has a British twist to it (I'm sure the Ecoboost & non V8 hybrid will continue in the US and other markets)"

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
If I wanted AWD, I'd buy an SUV. If I wanted a hybrid, I'd buy a Prius.

This is fundamental change.

Has Ford learned nothing from the past?
If I wanted an AWD hybrid I’d buy this. Ford needs to look forward not back to survive.

S650 Mustang Rumor [Autocar]: 2023 Mustang will be AWD Hybrid V8 (in Europe Only) 70497A35-FD3F-41D9-8495-B25650855D89

Edit: My bad this is a full electric. I’ll still take it. :)

Last edited:

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
Sorry, appreciate you bringing that up. My mind shoots off sometimes... center consul radius similar to the Mach E (what my brain thought to say). Because you’re right the Mach E doesn’t have one no matter if you do RWD or AWD, it’ll be that single-speed transmissions. They aren't equipped with any kind of torque vectoring or limited-slip differential, both of which are being ironed out for this model.
Thanks. That sounds reasonable. I’m really interested in seeing the Mach 1.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
How does Corvette get away with its proposals to bring the 6.2l naturally aspirated V8 to the UK in RHD etc?? and yet Ford are concerned with falling short of emission standards on a bog standard Mustang V8, let along the GT350?????

Anyway, if Ford does have to give us a hybrid then fine but don't turn it into a cuddly boring Audi, with AWD and auto as the only option. Or I'll keep my current 17 Mustang or buy a Porsche (who seem to listen to their customers).

gottasrt4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Premium and '05 Neon SRT4
Wow! I bet everyone’s been wanting an awd pony as long as they’ve wanted a midengine vette!

hybrid fwd also means instant fwd torque
Sponsored