• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
People aren't buying new cars like they used to. Yes, it takes money to develop new technology. But it seems like prices are going up on EVERYTHING and people's paychecks are stagnant. They would get more sales if the price of a new vehicle wasn't outrageous. I'd bet the fat hog Ford Expedition XL grande huge or whatever they call it is $100k or almost touching it.

Back in 1995, a Ford Explorer could be had for as little as $18,985. A fully loaded Ford Explorer in 1995 was only $33,935.
In 2020, a Ford Explorer can be had for $32,765. That's almost what a FULLY LOADED Ford Explorer was back in 1995. A fully loaded 2020 Ford Explorer is $58,250!!!! RIDICULOUS!

Keep all the BS and give me an Explorer with a few features for $25,000.

This situation is the same for the Mustang too.
As the British say... this is complete rubbish mate!
I don’t know where you are getting those numbers from but they are not correct. I bought a new 1996 Explorer Sport (the 2 door) in fall of 1995, it was far from fully loaded, and it cost $27,000. V6 engine, 4WD. I did spring for the moon roof. I couldn’t afford the 4 door XLT.
Sponsored

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
Explorer unit sales were less than Mustang, so with any luck by combining them, they both manage to survive. Personally I think the Explorer is dead man walking, and the Mustang will limp along as S550+one-off improvements here and there until Ford gets bought by VW. I would be happy if all Ford did was fix the several HUGE fuck-ups in their S550 design and started using AL in the skins and chassis where possible. The design spec should read 3500lb not to exceed weight...
Where did you see sales numbers indicating the Mustang outsells the Explorer? Sales through June of this year:

Mustang: 33,786
Explorer: 101,149

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/2020/07/02/ford-2q-20sales.pdf

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Where did you see sales numbers indicating the Mustang outsells the Explorer? Sales through June of this year:

Mustang: 33,786
Explorer: 101,149
oops, I was looking at Explorer quarterly, not first half.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I don’t know where you are getting those numbers from but they are not correct. I bought a new 1996 Explorer Sport (the 2 door) in fall of 1995, it was far from fully loaded, and it cost $27,000. V6 engine, 4WD. I did spring for the moon roof. I couldn’t afford the 4 door XLT.
Okay...? And why is my data incorrect just because you didn't get the cheapest Ford Explorer they offered in 1996?

https://www.autotrader.com/ford/explorer/1995

https://www.iseecars.com/car/1998-ford-explorer-price

https://www.thecarconnection.com/specifications/ford_explorer_1996

Should I list more sources?

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
People aren't buying new cars like they used to. Yes, it takes money to develop new technology. But it seems like prices are going up on EVERYTHING and people's paychecks are stagnant. They would get more sales if the price of a new vehicle wasn't outrageous. I'd bet the fat hog Ford Expedition XL grande huge or whatever they call it is $100k or almost touching it.

Back in 1995, a Ford Explorer could be had for as little as $18,985. A fully loaded Ford Explorer in 1995 was only $33,935.
In 2020, a Ford Explorer can be had for $32,765. That's almost what a FULLY LOADED Ford Explorer was back in 1995. A fully loaded 2020 Ford Explorer is $58,250!!!! RIDICULOUS!

Keep all the BS and give me an Explorer with a few features for $25,000.

This situation is the same for the Mustang too.
As the British say... this is complete rubbish mate!

$20,000 in 1995 is equivalent to $34,000 in 2020 due to inflation. So the prices haven’t actually changed at all. https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1995?amount=20000

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K7979, MR, Nav, B&O, Cover
Well, I honestly doubt an internal-combustion Mustang S650 will be alive for 8 years, but we'll see :D.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K7979, MR, Nav, B&O, Cover
That's only part of the reason I said that. Everybody is dumping cars in favor of SUVs and trucks (including Ford). I don't foresee IC engines being obsolete in 9 or 10 years (the S650 is still about 2 years away), but I just don't see the demand for a coupe anymore. Hope I'm wrong, but doubt it. We'll find out soon enough :).

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's only part of the reason I said that. Everybody is dumping cars in favor of SUVs and trucks (including Ford). I don't foresee IC engines being obsolete in 9 or 10 years (the S650 is still about 2 years away), but I just don't see the demand for a coupe anymore. Hope I'm wrong, but doubt it. We'll find out soon enough :).
That's the thing, the pond might be shrinking, but the number of fish is too.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Are the days of right-hand-drive Mustangs (ICE sports cars) numbered?

This report is not optimistic...

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/ford-mustang-to-leave-australia
With projected sales of 100k I think the only way they'll achieve that is with global sales, including RHD. I believe Australia is the second largest market outside of US/Canada. Obviously no RHD would impact the us in the UK, too, although we've always been able to import and register LHD vehicles, unlike yourselves.

However, I think this report is reading too much into the CD6 "platform". From what I've gathered from decent (reliable) sources on Blue Oval Forums, S650 will be a heavy evolution of the existing S550 (D2C) with elements of CD6 and it will have a new platform/architecture name of D5. I suspect/hope that this means RHD will still be easily achievable.

The problem we have is that Ford never discusses future product so I suspect they will neither confirm nor deny this rumor.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT
With projected sales of 100k I think the only way they'll achieve that is with global sales, including RHD. I believe Australia is the second largest market outside of US/Canada. Obviously no RHD would impact the us in the UK, too, although we've always been able to import and register LHD vehicles, unlike yourselves.

However, I think this report is reading too much into the CD6 "platform". From what I've gathered from decent (reliable) sources on Blue Oval Forums, S650 will be a heavy evolution of the existing S550 (D2C) with elements of CD6 and it will have a new platform/architecture name of D5. I suspect/hope that this means RHD will still be easily achievable.

The problem we have is that Ford never discusses future product so I suspect they will neither confirm nor deny this rumor.
I agree that they need RHD to get that figure. Just under 4.000 Mustangs were sold here in Australia last year, much down from previous years, so the numbers are not huge. 50 years of pent-up demand has been somewhat satisfied.

It would have been nice to see the Mustang take-off in the emerging RHD market in India, but that doesn't seem likely in the near future.

Anyway, I will watch this thread with keen interest.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GT
Just under 4.000 Mustangs were sold here in Australia last year, much down from previous years, so the numbers are not huge.
That's normal consumer behavior once a niche market car has been through its first 5 years. Wait till the S650 comes out and they will spike again like never before. Aussies love muscle cars like no other.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
That's normal consumer behavior once a niche market car has been through its frst 5 years. Wait till the S650 comes out and they will spike again like never before. Aussies love muscle cars like no other.
Agreed......especially as S650 is likely the last generation that'll come with traditional Mustang values such as a normally aspirated V8 and a manual gearbox, at least to those of us outside the US. Get 'em while you can!
Sponsored