• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

“Next Gen” Mustang Will be Electric (EV) Only Claims Autoline

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I do think it is all a storm in a teacup. It is what it is and the Mach E is selling well so clearly Ford got it right from a marketing point of view.
What I've said from the beginning has been if the Mach E was a good enough product, it wasn't going to need the 'Mustang' tag. And if it wasn't a good enough product, the 'Mustang' tag wouldn't save it.

Time will tell . . .

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
But okay to call an all electric model "Turbo S"?
Nope. That gets a raspberry as well, although Porsche at least made the 'Turbo S' tag subordinate to the main model name.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't like ice cream enough to sample them all. And anyway I like fruity or nutty but insist on no/little pollutants like caramel/chocolate swirled into the pure, simple base stock.
Calling chocolate a pollutant!?! How dare you! All the best ice cream flavors have at least some chocolate.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
until the charging infrastructure is fixed, EV adoption will be greatly hampered. It is also a VERY convenient and easy way to deny people freedom of movement - be it driven by simple logistics, or by "politics" nee social credit score.

This is a bit grim but I don't think very offbase. https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=241716
And this is illustrative of the problem even in a tiny-ass country. Note how actual 'range' doesn't remotely match up to claimed. In a gas car the range from a tank of gas is bang-on every single tank.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
What I've said from the beginning has been if the Mach E was a good enough product, it wasn't going to need the 'Mustang' tag. And if it wasn't a good enough product, the 'Mustang' tag wouldn't save it.

Time will tell . . .

Norm
I have missed about 4-5 days of this discussion and it has 20 more pages. :D

I think we kind of established that naming as a viral marketing move, right? Meaning, back when they first announced it, people got really upset and it generated lot of publicity and basically (to a point) free advertising. ICE Mustang owners that really hated it on it probably provided most of the advertising for the vehicle. Personally, I get the move, I do think it's a tad weird name tag to borrow, but I get why they did that, doesn't make me feel like less of a Mustang owner.

Had they called it just a Mach-E, or Ford Proton, or something like that, I can bet you it would have either tanked or had barely half the interest it actually has.

So far all the reviewers, including the ones that bought one, seem to really like it for a solid vehicle. Imagine, if Ford waited until it was well received as a finished product to try to get people to buy it. This way, they sold out, have ton of buzz around it and for them job well done.

I can totally see both sides of the coin, some think it "dilutes" the brand, some don't care. I mean, you could technically argue that anything but a V8 with a manual is dilution. But that would be silly. I'm glad people enjoy their I4, V6 and/or automatic Mustangs. If that's what it takes them to enjoy driving, more power to them. Doesn't really make my ownership feel any less special. If I wanted something truly special not everyone has, I'd have to drop 3x the dollar value that I did drop.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
until the charging infrastructure is fixed, EV adoption will be greatly hampered. It is also a VERY convenient and easy way to deny people freedom of movement - be it driven by simple logistics, or by "politics" nee social credit score.

This is a bit grim but I don't think very offbase. https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=241716
And this is illustrative of the problem even in a tiny-ass country. Note how actual 'range' doesn't remotely match up to claimed. In a gas car the range from a tank of gas is bang-on every single tank.

Yeah, sry, that's as much bull$hit as the assumption of a stolen election by Trump in that article … although, Trump still has the option to provide evidence so there goes that comparison ;)

If someone claims that 90% of California, Washington (state??) or Oregon cannot be reached by EV’s I call bs on them. Maybe not in one charge but who cares? Most people don’t cover more than 200 miles without a break. Besides, most articles make that statement in regards to vacations… That might be once a year or once in a while for the majority of people where such a trip has to be planned….

And your statement of gas car range might be true for the US-versions but it certainly isn’t for Europe or Germany. Diesel-Gate was a huge media buzz but everyone knew that the estimated range by every carmaker was as fake as they could be. 6L/100km on the sticker, real world would be around 8. It was and it still is to some degree common knowledge. Now, we have the Autobahn and not everyone drives like an old lady… I think the Mustang is the only version where the estimated mpg in Europe is way lower than the real world range. The C63 AMG for e. g. should have a combined consumption of 10.0L/100km and I can guarantee you that that’s highly unlikely. The real world combined consumption is close to 12L…

I don’t want to get into an argument over EV’s. Some like them other don’t. That’s fine and as already stated right now there’s not an EV for everyone and that’s fine as well. I’m planning to buy a Mustang not a Tesla but I just don’t like made up arguments like the ones in the article.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel-Gate was a huge media buzz but everyone knew that the estimated range by every carmaker was as fake as they could be. 6L/100km on the sticker, real world would be around 8
you completely missed the point!

It wasn't that the manufacturer fudged the numbers in marketing materials but rather the 'range' varies significantly based on factors completely out of the control of the driver. If you consistently get say 25mpg on the Interstate with your Mustang and thus a tank of fuel lasts say 350 miles, you wake up one morning and suddenly the 350 miles has been chopped back to 280, that's not helpful nor expected. This "the range isn't really the range" is a problem unique to EV. And as we saw in the UK video, if EV adoption was significantly higher that single charging spot would likely have somebody already on the charger and means at worst a clean double of the "rest" time needed. Gas vehicles have no such problem. Even if the queue at the pump is 4 cars deep, it's only an extra 15 minutes or so.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Had they called it just a Mach-E, or Ford Proton, or something like that, I can bet you it would have either tanked or had barely half the interest it actually has.
It probably would have gotten off to a slower start, but if it's any good it would pick up almost no matter what they chose to add to the 'Mach E' part. I mean yeah, choosing to use either 'Edsel' or 'Pinto' would more than likely hurt it, but I'd hope that nobody at Ford even mentioned those names.

It's really too early to tell whether calling the Mach E a Mustang was a good thing for Ford's bottom line or just a flash in the pan.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, sry, that's as much bull$hit as the assumption of a stolen election by Trump in that article … although, Trump still has the option to provide evidence so there goes that comparison ;)
There was more than enough evidence of a stolen election. The level of evidence would have been sufficient to convict someone of murder. But if the judges decide to ignore the evidence and throw the case out anyway, the American people are screwed and the election is stolen.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's really too early to tell whether calling the Mach E a Mustang was a good thing for Ford's bottom line or just a flash in the pan.
I think we'll see a steady tapering off of the 'Mustang' and dealer sales and journalists will exclusively call it just the "Mach-E' and the pony badge will likewise disappear to be replaced with some kind of stylized 'Mach'. The triple-tailights will probably endure though.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is now !

Citroen did it with DS - a whole range of DS models

I do think it is all a storm in a teacup. It is what it is and the Mach E is selling well so clearly Ford got it right from a marketing point of view.
Selling well is one thing, product reliability/quality and customer satisfaction is another. There is quite the hubbub going on with many MACH-E customers getting an email from Ford for $1k off and “free charging” due to some delay and quality issues with the ME - a silent campaign. These issues have been posted over in that “other forum” as well as now hitting many automotive news outlets. There has also been recalls on this grand VW skateboard. So reported sales figures vs what is actually happening means diddly. One more thing to mention - the reported sales figures were including DEPOSITS taken on the ME - which is not a true representation of what is really happening for actual units sold and customers actually taking possession of the product.

Ford’s poor QC is out of control and it won’t be long before they see customers going mass exodus to other brands because of it. Hell, just look on the GT350 forum here with all the 2019-2020 Voodoo failures occurring (and that’s only online reports, who knows what’s happening to those that aren’t even joined to this forum or don’t go online)...

I’ve even seen used ME’s already posted online... LOL

Here’s the true ME, Ford didn’t come up with the platform, VW had it first and due to the Ford-VW collaboration, Ford essentially rebadged the ID4 with some body tweaks and badges:
https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/3...omising-but-flawed-start-to-vws-ev-revolution

Last edited:

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
There was more than enough evidence of a stolen election. The level of evidence would have been sufficient to convict someone of murder. But if the judges decide to ignore the evidence and throw the case out anyway, the American people are screwed and the election is stolen.
Jesus Christ please do not start this political s*it here!

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
It's not hyperbole when you are going to witness the death of the car scene in the next 20 years, especially when the self driving cars hit not just EV.
Sponsored