• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Whilst there are no guarantees......

I'm not buying the "no hybrid". If Ford want to continue to sell to the rest of the world, a hybrid is the only way. By 2026 Ford of Europe will only sell EVs or hybrids. Perhaps a hybrid won't be offered in the US. Elsewhere though......

S650 being a 4 year run? Given the competition (Challenger and Camaro) will be long gone, that's possible, but likely? I'm not so sure. Again, it's a while ago, but remember S650 was originally reported as being an 8 year run with a refresh mid way through (this was based on info given to suppliers). S650 has already been pushed back a year based on the article below, as we know it's coming in 2023 as a '24MY.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a33621861/when-is-the-new-mustang-coming-out/

The seventh-generation Mustang will also have an eight-year product cycle, Automotive News reports. If the replacement timeline is correct, that mirrors the life cycle of the current S550 Mustang that debuted in 2014 as a 2015 model. Like most products, the upcoming S650 Mustang will get a mid-cycle refresh, which Automotive News says will come in 2025. That'd likely make it a 2026 model year.

But, as I said in the beginning, there are no guarantees :frown:

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
if S650 is "just" S550.2, ie basically zero structural changes, some interior mods, and slightly stylized bodywork I wouldn't spend a penny on electrification either.

I bet Dearborn is just treading water and debating if they even bother to keep the Mustang any longer. If S650 doesn't sell, the Mustang will join the Camaro and Challenger on the ash-heap of ICE history.

Last edited:

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
That report is flooded with false info. For instance, they're still saying s650 is based on cd6 platform, which is clearly false. They're also saying no hybrid s650, which contradicts what other, more reputable insiders have said. I'm calling bs.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
That report is flooded with false info. For instance, they're still saying s650 is based on cd6 platform, which is clearly false. They're also saying no hybrid s650, which contradicts what other, more reputable insiders have said. I'm calling bs.
I wasn’t aware the that the Mach-E was built on the CD-6 architecture. Did I miss something?

Also if Ford can meet all the upcoming EPA fuel mileage directives by using the Mach-E why bother with a hybrid? It’s not like there will be any competition for it. Just keep the EB and the Coyote going until 2028.

Yes, it could be BS. Or it could be accurate. None of us know.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ira....the report indicated S650 will be CD6 based, whereas we know it's an updated S550

The ’24 Mustang has been in development for much of the last decade and will be based on the rear-wheel-drive architecture of the Explorer and Lincoln Aviator. Those SUVs went from a front-wheel-drive, transverse-engine platform to longitudinal engine-RWD/AWD to give the new Mustang architecture sufficient volume for the budget.

Mach E is a standalone platform at the moment.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I wasn’t aware the that the Mach-E was built on the CD-6 architecture. Did I miss something?

Also if Ford can meet all the upcoming EPA fuel mileage directives by using the Mach-E why bother with a hybrid? It’s not like there will be any competition for it. Just keep the EB and the Coyote going until 2028.

Yes, it could be BS. Or it could be accurate. None of us know.
No, I'm not saying the report claims the mach-e uses the cd6 chassis. It's saying the s650 being revealed in a few weeks will use the cd6, which basically. This isn't true. I could see an 8th gen mustang using a modified mach-e platform, especially if by then, the platform has become significantly lighter and more powerful, which is highly likely. But this report seems sketchy at best.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Ira....the report indicated S650 will be CD6 based, whereas we know it's an updated S550

The ’24 Mustang has been in development for much of the last decade and will be based on the rear-wheel-drive architecture of the Explorer and Lincoln Aviator. Those SUVs went from a front-wheel-drive, transverse-engine platform to longitudinal engine-RWD/AWD to give the new Mustang architecture sufficient volume for the budget.

Mach E is a standalone platform at the moment.
Nope, my bad. I read it wrong. Honestly wasn’t really thinking about the S650, just the S750 (or whatever they are going to call it) 👍

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
No, I'm not saying the report claims the mach-e uses the cd6 chassis. It's saying the s650 being revealed in a few weeks will use the cd6, which basically. This isn't true. I could see an 8th gen mustang using a modified mach-e platform, especially if by then, the platform has become significantly lighter and more powerful, which is highly likely. But this report seems sketchy at best.
Yeah, sorry Kev, I read that wrong. The article definitely got that wrong. The rest, who knows. :like:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The main issue confusing insiders is that Ford is likely working on a brand new platform for the 8th Gen Mustang while simultaneously updating the S550 into the S650. The 8th Gen leaks are getting pushed out with the 7th Gen stuff because many of these bloggers are not automotive enthusiast. They are Tech people that don’t understand product overlap in the automotive industry.

It was confusing in 2014 too when some of the S650 stuff escaped with the S550 details. Trying to explain to people that Ford was developing 2 Mustang’s for a 10+ year run was IMPOSSIBLE… Explaining it in 2022 is much easier.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Full electric is likely coming soon.
But a hybrid, even if electric motors do almost all of the work, is the best way to keep enthusiasm for the car as well as to keep its soul as currently known.

Once that is gone, you have a Tesla with a horse sticker. At that point, people will quickly settle into a new mindset of what the best electric car to purchase is rather than “I want a Mustang.” Because the differentiators outside of styling will be gone. And if a fully electric Mustang doesn’t outperform a Tesla sedan, the badge will be in big trouble.

A hybrid offers a more tangible feel, a much more inspiring soundtrack, and enough subtle vibration to feel you just lit a fire under your pants. Because you did. Theflip side of the hybrid setup is complexity for Ford engineers and eventual repair costs when that time comes.

ford does not need the Mach E to skew MPG and pollution numbers. It is going electric everywhere, so thst burden will be so far removed from the Mach E, it would not even need to exist.

With a hybrid setup, those numbers would provide more than enough justification to keep an 8 cylinder firing away - even if it’s a “token” offering, greatly reduced in size and not contributing a vast amount.

nothing stirs the soul like hearing an American v8 roar to life at ignition and WOT. That in itself is a strong motivator. Add the feel and characteristics, and it is an intangible that “just does something”to enthusiastic buyers. It’s an intangible that when gone, dries up drive and enthusiasm and leaves the Mustang as just another electric car with a different sticker - and possibly more “swoopiness“ to the fenders.

the article brought up by the op Is too inaccurate to be taken seriously, but at the same time,it’s based on the smoke that we are all smelling in the air. There is fire behind it. It just may be a little farther than the article suggests. Going from Straight gasoline to hybrid is the smart money right now. As the market adjusts and Ford finds ways to differentiate its models in a justifiable and compelling way, buyers may accept and even be compelled by an all electric Mustang. But if it happens in 2028, they need to think fast because the market isn’t set for it quite yet

it will be interesting to see the Dodge electric pony cars and how they differentiate. No doubt they will be performance monsters. But with a Tesla model s plaid already out there, will they even be AS fast? Or will they just be stepping stones for people to buy the Tesla instead? That’s where price comes in. And that will be interesting to watch, especially with the world electronics market so shaken by the fallout from various government Covid responses.

if dodge can differentiate enough to make their pony cars viable after selling in good numbers based on bygone era marketing, then that’s good for the Mustang, which we now know is just a warmed over s550 stopgap until Ford can figure out the vision for the Mustang road ahead.

would be great for Ford to act like an upstart again instead of s big corporation hobbled by legacy and risk aversion. The Mustang is all about being an automotive rebel, making a scene and punching above its weight class. Not an overly careful exercise in safe corporate branding. The s650 buys them time to figure it out. Hope it sells well.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The sky's not falling (yet!).

This video is well worth a watch. Filmed shortly after this year's Goodwood Festival of Speed (last month)....Jodie Kidd interviews Jim Farley.

Jump to the 34m mark. Jim states the great thing about Mach E is "it made the V8 Mustang doable for another generation"......."that car from a fleet standpoint allows us to have a V8 for another 10 years"

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The sky's not falling (yet!).

This video is well worth a watch. Filmed shortly after this year's Goodwood Festival of Speed (last month)....Jodie Kidd interviews Jim Farley.

Jump to the 34m mark. Jim states the great thing about Mach E is "it made the V8 Mustang doable for another generation"......."that car from a fleet standpoint allows us to have a V8 for another 10 years"

i remeMber this statement, though I took it as a way to add needed shine to the Mach e brand, since literally any electric ford that sells in respectable numbers will help to skew the epa numbers enough to keep a v8 alive.

though hybrid still makes sense since the electric cars will outperform FF vehicles. Just too much on the electric side to overcome.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
The statement about the cd6 platform puts the credibility of the article in question, but I find the idea of the S650 being a 4 year run instead of 8 intriguing. It seems logical an S650 that's merely a "refreshed" S550 wouldn't go for 8 years. It also makes sense Ford would feel like it needs to usher in an electric Mustang sooner rather than later to compete with the offerings from Chevy and Dodge. If that's the case I want a 600 hp, awd hybrid Mustang for 2024. :wink:
Sponsored