• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Farley Stokes Hybrid Mustang Rumors, Says 'Nah' to All-Electric Mustang

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
And if it's still using the V8, that makes me very happy!

It seems Jim Farley is happy to (indirectly) talk about future Mustang products. He did, if you recall, post on social media asking if Ford should be a roadgoing GT3 (aka the GTD).

Farley reiterated that the company is perhaps more willing to keep gasoline powered vehicles around for longer than previously thought, via electrification. “We cannot keep saying [companies are] all-electric or all-hybrid, and there’s nothing in between. That’s baloney. There’s going to be lots of gray degrees of partial electrification that’s still good for the planet. You can still have that emotional experience. I think that’s where we’re going to be for a while,” Farley said. “So when you say: Could it be a fully electric Mustang coupe? Nah, probably not. But could there be a partially electrified Mustang coupe—and it be world-class? Yeah.”

https://www.motor1.com/news/683604/ford-ceo-says-no-electric-mustang-yeah-hybrid/
Sponsored

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
A v8 can generate more electricity than any ev.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
A Mustang hybrid, yes. A V8 hybrid unlikely. The car would still need the the V8 to drive the rear wheels. That would require the hybrid motors (1 or 2) to be up front. The weight balance would be totally off. Now you could use a transaxle like the GTD but then the cost would be prohibitive. IMHO a hybrid would only be viable with the 2.3 Ecoboost. And honestly anyone seriously considering a hybrid would probably prefer it.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'm thinking this would be primarily for markets where the V8 alone will struggle in the not too distant future.....Australia, Europe, but if it works for the rest of the world, there's no reason the US wouldn't get it.

In the UK, they've dropped the Ecoboost (since 2019) as sales were 80/20 in favour of the V8. So, we still want our V8s and going hybrid may be the only way we can keep the Mustang (coupe) nameplate alive outside the US.

Another article on the same subject (from Australia). High performance and emotional experience.....this, to me, is the V8 he's talking about. Time will tell, I guess :)

“I don’t know about 10 years from now, but for the 10 years we’re in now, a partial electrification is the perfect solution for high-performance [vehicle] customers,” he said.

“You can cherry-pick the electric drivetrain to get everything you need from it, but you don’t have to walk away from the emotional part of the experience.

“There’s going to be lots of grey degrees of partial electrification that’s still good for the planet.

“You can still have that emotional experience. I think that’s where we’re going to be for a while.”

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/ford-mustang-hybrid-all-but-confirmed-142200/

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I'm thinking this would be primarily for markets where the V8 alone will struggle in the not too distant future.....Australia, Europe, but if it works for the rest of the world, there's no reason the US wouldn't get it.

In the UK, they've dropped the Ecoboost (since 2019) as sales were 80/20 in favour of the V8. So, we still want our V8s and going hybrid may be the only way we can keep the Mustang (coupe) nameplate alive outside the US.

Another article on the same subject (from Australia). High performance and emotional experience.....this, to me, is the V8 he's talking about. Time will tell, I guess :)

“I don’t know about 10 years from now, but for the 10 years we’re in now, a partial electrification is the perfect solution for high-performance [vehicle] customers,” he said.

“You can cherry-pick the electric drivetrain to get everything you need from it, but you don’t have to walk away from the emotional part of the experience.

“There’s going to be lots of grey degrees of partial electrification that’s still good for the planet.

“You can still have that emotional experience. I think that’s where we’re going to be for a while.”

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/ford-mustang-hybrid-all-but-confirmed-142200/
As long [as] doesn’t rely solely on the other. Fully integrated yet fully independent otherwise fuster cluck, imo.

The Wizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Mustang; 16 F-150
You're missing the real question which is: how can a future Mustang beat a high-end Tesla in the quarter mile?

Providing more power to smoke the rear wheels faster isn't gunna do it.
Providing ruffly equal torque to all four wheels WILL do it.
Couple different ways of doing this. A performance hybrid is one...
Sponsored