• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
According to Automobile magazine "...

• Industry sources say a battery-electric Mustang based on the Mach-E’s platform will debut about mid-2028 to replace what will be the last internal-combustion model.

If the 2028 coupe is to be based on Mach E platform, the suspension would have to be a lot beefier than the Mach E's.
especially considering the Mach E wasn’t developed to be a mustang.

the marketing decision to name it “Mustang” was done AFTER development.

not looking good for the Mustang if it’s indeed the case that it takes on the E SUV platform.

man, Ford really needs to hire some car guys again, regardless of electric power train. They need some enthusiasts who care about the Mustang kicking serious butt and looking great doing it. Fire the tofu guys or reallocate to the escape and Mach E teams. They don’t belong on the Mustang team. They need car guys in the boardroom as well. And they need to listen to them.

the last Ford was doing really well was under Mullally. That guy understood each segment and what got people into it. The successors really have t had a clue up to this point. That’s not to be mean. It’s simply facts. Weird decisions aren’t weird because people don’t “get it” yet. Their are weird because there’s something wrong with them.

A smaller Mach e isn’t going to be a real mustang. Nobody wants a Tesla with a horse sticker. And no one really wants a car that sounds like a Hoover vacuum either.

let the SVT, crazy-about-hot-rod guys provide the vision and shape of the car’s future while the engineering team makes it happen with s different power train. They can solve the sound issue, the soul issue, the look and feel. All the while retaining what people get excited about when they think of “Mustang.”

Dodge has it partially right with the body style - though the retro thing is a bit outdated now. Ford can definitely beat that. Dodge tried something new with sound. Ford can definitely beat that. Accelerator feel? Ford can mange that as well. A lot of overthinking has gone into the EV transition. People talking about removing actual steering wheels and pedals. Foolishness. Let people drive the car intuitively snd enjoy it for crying out loud. A Mustang is not a driving appliance. It’s a hot car with hot blood and soul.

the Mach E as s platform is just fine for a small SUV or truck even.

but the Mustang is something else and needs a better foundation - otherwise it is the mustang 2 (my first car by the way. And not a great experience. Lol) situation all over again.

if extreme care and bold risks are not taken, ford is seriously risking the future of the Mustang itself - regardless if they think that slapping the Mustang nameplate on other vehicles somehow saves the nameplate. The actual Mustang that has been with is from the 60’s won’tjust look different or behave different. It will be dead, replaced by pretenders with a horse sticker. That would be utter tragedy.

note to The mustang team at Ford: please CARE. If you don’t, have the decency to step aside so someone who does can shape the future of a car loved by so many.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I posted elswhere the EV I would buy. Owning/Wanting an EV/hybrid is perfectly rational. It's the notion that they *SOLVE* a particular/stated problem that I was ridiculing.
I have done that also. And Ford even built a conceptual EV Mustang with a manual transmission, so I think they hear people like me in that regard.

Hybrids are practical right now, but I don't like the complexity, weight or cost. I'd prefer to wait until pure EVs are good enough and cheap enough that they make sense to me.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
How are 2028 Ford Mustang customers are going to get use to one petal driving when they been use to 2?

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
How are 2028 Ford Mustang customers are going to get use to one petal driving when they been use to 2?
The exact same way every EV owner that has come from an ICE car has, practice. Once you do it a few times it becomes second nature. And it's actually pretty cool to drive with only one pedal.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I suspect Ford will find a way to replicate manual shifting. But most people, even enthusiasts, are used to automatics now, so there won’t be any learning curve for that group.

but manual lovers are all in onthe shift ourselves experience. Ford seems to be listening and I would not doubt that the solution is being researched and developed as we type, though not a true clutch and simply a “drive by wire” type of thing that tells the computer a shift is coming.

it’s seems like there is a lot of laziness with EV solutions. One guy comes up with an energy recapture method and everyone steals his method, rather than pioneering better solutions. It’s Kind of crazy actually. So much untapped potential.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I suspect Ford will find a way to replicate manual shifting. But most people, even enthusiasts, are used to automatics now, so there won’t be any learning curve for that group.

but manual lovers are all in onthe shift ourselves experience. Ford seems to be listening and I would not doubt that the solution is being researched and developed as we type, though not a true clutch and simply a “drive by wire” type of thing that tells the computer a shift is coming.
I believe @lcbrownz was referring to regenerative braking and not a manual transmission. With regenerative braking you can drive with only the gas pedal.

As far as a manual, who's kidding who? The will be no manual transmission with an EV because there can be no clutch. No true three pedal devotee is going to go for that. You can have a fake manual just like you can have fake sound. It still all fake.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
I believe @lcbrownz was referring to regenerative braking and not a manual transmission. With regenerative braking you can drive with only the gas pedal.

As far as a manual, who's kidding who? The will be no manual transmission with an EV because there can be no clutch. No true three pedal devotee is going to go for that. You can have a fake manual just like you can have fake sound. It still all fake.
The best you are going to get from an EV is a DCT feel. Paddle shifted transmission with very quick and precise shift feel. The Charger EV has this as evidence by the paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

theseparate brake pedal is a better deal.
Backing off the gas shouldn’t brake your car. Sometimes you just want to give your foot a rest without braking.

it’s not rocket science to accomplish. And people already are familiar with throttle vs braking. Changing that is just silliness. While some have employed to RC car method, separate systems and inputs are a better solution, even though they already exist. No need to reinvent the wheel when it’s the best way to roll.

the wheels turning as the car drives is like a wind or water turbine. Lots of energy to capture. Don’t need to resort to destroying intuitive driving to recapture energy.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
Backing off the gas shouldn’t brake your car. Sometimes you just want to give your foot a rest without braking.

it’s not rocket science to accomplish. And people already are familiar with throttle vs braking. Changing that is just silliness. While some have employed to RC car method, separate systems and inputs are a better solution, even though they already exist. No need to reinvent the wheel when it’s the best way to roll.

the wheels turning as the car drives is like a wind or water turbine. Lots of energy to capture. Don’t need to resort to destroying intuitive driving to recapture energy.
Turn it off if you don’t like it…. Every EV has that option.

But I will also say don’t knock it till you try it….

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
No it's not, really. You need to read up on the technology.
https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Regenerative_braking

So did going from manual transmissions to automatics destroy intuitive driving? Come on now. I'm guessing you have never driven an EV with regenerative braking. Give it a shot and get back to me.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
No it's not, really. You need to read up on the technology.
https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Regenerative_braking

So did going from manual transmissions to automatics destroy intuitive driving? Come on now. I'm guessing you have never driven an EV with regenerative braking. Give it a shot and get back to me.
Ive read plenty. I know how it works. It’s not efficient snd not even necessary given other options that are surprisingly not offered (yet).

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
especially considering the Mach E wasn’t developed to be a mustang.

the marketing decision to name it “Mustang” was done AFTER development.

not looking good for the Mustang if it’s indeed the case that it takes on the E SUV platform.

man, Ford really needs to hire some car guys again, regardless of electric power train. They need some enthusiasts who care about the Mustang kicking serious butt and looking great doing it. Fire the tofu guys or reallocate to the escape and Mach E teams. They don’t belong on the Mustang team. They need car guys in the boardroom as well. And they need to listen to them.

the last Ford was doing really well was under Mullally. That guy understood each segment and what got people into it. The successors really have t had a clue up to this point. That’s not to be mean. It’s simply facts. Weird decisions aren’t weird because people don’t “get it” yet. Their are weird because there’s something wrong with them.

A smaller Mach e isn’t going to be a real mustang. Nobody wants a Tesla with a horse sticker. And no one really wants a car that sounds like a Hoover vacuum either.

let the SVT, crazy-about-hot-rod guys provide the vision and shape of the car’s future while the engineering team makes it happen with s different power train. They can solve the sound issue, the soul issue, the look and feel. All the while retaining what people get excited about when they think of “Mustang.”

Dodge has it partially right with the body style - though the retro thing is a bit outdated now. Ford can definitely beat that. Dodge tried something new with sound. Ford can definitely beat that. Accelerator feel? Ford can mange that as well. A lot of overthinking has gone into the EV transition. People talking about removing actual steering wheels and pedals. Foolishness. Let people drive the car intuitively snd enjoy it for crying out loud. A Mustang is not a driving appliance. It’s a hot car with hot blood and soul.

the Mach E as s platform is just fine for a small SUV or truck even.

but the Mustang is something else and needs a better foundation - otherwise it is the mustang 2 (my first car by the way. And not a great experience. Lol) situation all over again.

if extreme care and bold risks are not taken, ford is seriously risking the future of the Mustang itself - regardless if they think that slapping the Mustang nameplate on other vehicles somehow saves the nameplate. The actual Mustang that has been with is from the 60’s won’tjust look different or behave different. It will be dead, replaced by pretenders with a horse sticker. That would be utter tragedy.

note to The mustang team at Ford: please CARE. If you don’t, have the decency to step aside so someone who does can shape the future of a car loved by so many.
We had the same discussion regarding the CD6 platform… The sheet-metal is absolutely irrelevant. Use the Mach-E Platform, make it look like a S550 and nobody would spot any differences apart from maybe some enthusiasts. Give it a better suspension and some other improvements and most buyers would absolutely be satisfied (I'm referring to the platform and not ICE vs EV). Modern platforms are designed to fit different types of cars…

The real issue with all current EV platforms is also their biggest advantage: due to the fact that the battery is sitting very low the center of gravity is low, which is good. However, it also means that the driver position has to be at least 10-20cm above what we’re known to. CUV’s/SUV’s sell like hot cake at the moment but they also turn the big battery at the bottom into an advantage: a high entrance. It’s much easier to get in and out and sometimes that’s the only reason people buy a car (especially older folks).

However, I doubt that by 2028 Ford will still use the Mach-E platform for the next gen Mustang. It’ll be simply too old.

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
Ive read plenty. I know how it works. It’s not efficient snd not even necessary given other options that are surprisingly not offered (yet).
Still a bit unsure how you say regenerative braking is not efficient. It turns kinetic energy into potential energy instead of losing that energy in the form of heat. That IS efficiency.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
umm, actually, it's VERY efficient. This is the biggest reasons why EVs get the mileage they do. They turn the kinetic energy of the car back into stored electrical energy, so that's it's ready to be used again.

Now, performance cars...aka, those that people will want to use on a race track (circuit track, not a drag strip) will probably need/want capacitors vs just batteries as they will be able to handle the inrush current even better, and be better able to send it back to the motor as you come out of the turn.

You will also have regular brakes, which can be used to supplement the regenerative braking.
Sponsored