• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Until EV fixes this problem they'll be the perpetual laughing stock of those of who actually have some brain cells. Even if we run the numbers that 1/2hr gets you 100 miles, it's still 16MPG and $40. Ok, maybe your new MachE can charge from 10-80% in 40 minutes (https://www.drivingelectric.com/ford/mustang-mach-e/range). That pencils out to 200/8 gal =25MPG or what the Ecoboost 2.3 gets all day long. Heck my 3.5TT F150 gets 22 on cruise.

Only stupid people think EV solve anything, aside from LA smug.

S650 Mustang Report: All Electric EV Mustang Generation Comes in 2028 1661564798598-jpe
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Until EV fixes this problem they'll be the perpetual laughing stock of those of who actually have some brain cells. Even if we run the numbers that 1/2hr gets you 100 miles, it's still 16MPG and $40. Ok, maybe your new MachE can charge from 10-80% in 40 minutes (https://www.drivingelectric.com/ford/mustang-mach-e/range). That pencils out to 200/8 gal =25MPG or what the Ecoboost 2.3 gets all day long. Heck my 3.5TT F150 gets 22 on cruise.

Sorry Matt but you’ve lost the war. :frown:

S650 Mustang Report: All Electric EV Mustang Generation Comes in 2028 1661601929001

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Surely a man of your age can appreciate the HIts and plaything it over and over and over again. I mean don't you own The Wall on 2+ editions of vinyl, cassette and CD-ROM?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I agree. If there are no other new car options, a lot of people will buy EVs.

But we are not "most people". I've done engine swaps, rebuilt engines and transmissions, converted a carbureted car to EFI (without a kit), and done a lot of more minor things as well. Personally I would be willing to do a lot of work to keep an ICE going if necessary. I wouldn't rule out driving the same car for the next 20 years or more.

I was driving an 80s Fox Mustang as my year round car in 2010 when I decided I liked the Coyote and wanted a newer Mustang.

I disagree that EVs win on maintenance. Which exact EV are you talking about that will win on maintenance? And over what period of time? Or are you thinking you will just be buying new with very low trade-in value every time the batteries wear out? How often are EV electrical motors going to wear out? I don't think we really know the answers.

My guess is that EVs will be built as cheaply as possible so the manufacturer can make the most money possible.

So they will set up the failure rate to be whatever their customer base will accept. Just like current cars.

I don't think you can count on EVs to be better than ICE powered cars. You are giving car companies too much credit.

Hybrid is definitely better than EV right now. ICE is better yet. Hybrid would be heavier and more expensive than what we have now. It's hard work to get the weight out of a car, but it really improves the driving experience.

Anyway, I personally would not be interested in buying a hybrid. I think it would be more fun to buy a power adder for my current GT. Or maybe some track days and consumables.
IT wouldn't be that much weight. The V8 would be tiny and would essentially be a generator for the electric engines to supplement the battery. It would supply additional range and a true exhaust note. The throttle would be synced to the electric throttle and wouldn't need a drivetrain. Boom. Done. It would have a reason to exist and the exhaust would be authentic. Yes, it adds some complexity. but it is also the best of all worlds and something that no one else is doing - a true differentiator that also solves range issues.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer

1661564798598-jpeg.jpg
This conversation is getting quite toxic and has ventured away from the original topic at hand. The way I see it, evs have their flaws. But they've made more progress in 10 years than ICE cars have in 50. Most of the shortcomings of EVs can be attributed to the fact that evs haven't received much attention until about 3-5 years ago for most companies. Over the last few years, we've seen evs become more affordable, more reliable, better performing, longer ranges, shorter recharging times. The list goes on and on. Now, as we transition to things like solid state batteries, you're going to see massive improvements in range, and power density. While reducing the amount of rare earth materials needed to construct batteries. Yes, evs take a long time to charge, but the trade off is basically have the convenience of having essentially a gas station installed in your home. Most people won't really care how long it takes to charge if they're sleeping. For road trips, you have fast chargers that can charge 10-80% in as little as ten minutes. My point overall is evs are pretty good right now, and will only improve massively in the coming years. Whereas gas motors have basically peaked.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
This conversation is getting quite toxic and has ventured away from the original topic at hand. The way I see it, evs have their flaws. But they've made more progress in 10 years than ICE cars have in 50. Most of the shortcomings of EVs can be attributed to the fact that evs haven't received much attention until about 3-5 years ago for most companies. Over the last few years, we've seen evs become more affordable, more reliable, better performing, longer ranges, shorter recharging times. The list goes on and on. Now, as we transition to things like solid state batteries, you're going to see massive improvements in range, and power density. While reducing the amount of rare earth materials needed to construct batteries. Yes, evs take a long time to charge, but the trade off is basically have the convenience of having essentially a gas station installed in your home. Most people won't really care how long it takes to charge if they're sleeping. For road trips, you have fast chargers that can charge 10-80% in as little as ten minutes. My point overall is evs are pretty good right now, and will only improve massively in the coming years. Whereas gas motors have basically peaked.
I think it's a bit disrespectful to the other members to say this discussion has gotten toxic. I disagree. In fact, it seems to be pretty well rounded concerning the future of an EV Mustang, pros and cons. Everyone doesn't have to agree in order for the discussion to be appropriate and discussing the pony car EV market in general, including the Dodge competition is definitely on topic - especially since they just launched the concept and their vision of the pony car from here. You may personally not like that people aren't excited. about the EV future or that they want an ICE element, but that doesn't make it "toxic." It simply means they have different opinions and preferences. As the Mustang is an ENTHUSIAST car, you can bet that it generates passionate responses. That's a good thing.

Also, to say that EVs have made these massive improvements is a bit disingenuous. They are basically built on the foundations learned from ICE vehicles and changed the powerplant - and jacked the price up. Not much has changed other than the power plant. Bigger gas tank = bigger batteries, more efficient engine = more efficient electric engine, etc. Perhaps we will see some larger changes when Apple launches its car. Until then, things are very similar.

The move to EV with everything happening on the world stage, various politicians fighting over drilling our own oil, performance considerations, renewable energy considerations, seems inevitable, yet it also seems full of caveats. California for example looks to be banning gasoline vehicles, yet it had rolling electric blackouts in 2020 because it supposedly could not keep up with a heat wave and people were using more electricity on Air conditioning - and that could happen again in the near future (https://www.kcra.com/article/califo...se-are-the-tools-to-avoid-blackouts/39931543#). what will that look like when everyone is forced to EVs and have to charge millions of cars every day? That will be interesting. What will the electricity be produced by? Fossil fuel? Again, defeats the purpose. So it's still a very interesting discussion and isn't limited by what some people wish to be true. People love the Mustang, but many don't love EVs. That's just the way it is. Let them discuss, dream, hope, and. even disagree. This is a discussion forum after all.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I think it's a bit disrespectful to the other members to say this discussion has gotten toxic. I disagree. In fact, it seems to be pretty well rounded concerning the future of an EV Mustang, pros and cons. Everyone doesn't have to agree in order for the discussion to be appropriate and discussing the pony car EV market in general, including the Dodge competition is definitely on topic - especially since they just launched the concept and their vision of the pony car from here. You may personally not like that people aren't excited. about the EV future or that they want an ICE element, but that doesn't make it "toxic." It simply means they have different opinions and preferences. As the Mustang is an ENTHUSIAST car, you can bet that it generates passionate responses. That's a good thing.

Also, to say that EVs have made these massive improvements is a bit disingenuous. They are basically built on the foundations learned from ICE vehicles and changed the powerplant - and jacked the price up. Not much has changed other than the power plant. Bigger gas tank = bigger batteries, more efficient engine = more efficient electric engine, etc. Perhaps we will see some larger changes when Apple launches its car. Until then, things are very similar.

The move to EV with everything happening on the world stage, various politicians fighting over drilling our own oil, performance considerations, renewable energy considerations, seems inevitable, yet it also seems full of caveats. California for example looks to be banning gasoline vehicles, yet it had rolling electric blackouts in 2020 because it supposedly could not keep up with a heat wave and people were using more electricity on Air conditioning - and that could happen again in the near future (https://www.kcra.com/article/califo...se-are-the-tools-to-avoid-blackouts/39931543#). what will that look like when everyone is forced to EVs and have to charge millions of cars every day? That will be interesting. What will the electricity be produced by? Fossil fuel? Again, defeats the purpose. So it's still a very interesting discussion and isn't limited by what some people wish to be true. People love the Mustang, but many don't love EVs. That's just the way it is. Let them discuss, dream, hope, and. even disagree. This is a discussion forum after all.
I called it toxic because Shotgun started essentially saying anyone who liked evs, or saw their potential had a low IQ. I just think it's toxic to accuse other individuals of being fools because they have a different perspective than you.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I called it toxic because Shotgun started essentially saying anyone who liked evs, or saw their potential had a low IQ. I just think it's toxic to accuse other individuals of being fools because they have a different perspective than you.
Ah. Missed that. Gotcha.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
According to "Automobile" magazine ...

• Industry sources say a battery-electric Mustang based on the Mach-E’s platform will debut about mid-2028 to replace what will be the last internal-combustion model.

If the 2028 coupe is to be based on Mach E platform, the suspension would have to be a lot beefier than the Mach E's.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
IT wouldn't be that much weight. The V8 would be tiny and would essentially be a generator for the electric engines to supplement the battery. It would supply additional range and a true exhaust note. The throttle would be synced to the electric throttle and wouldn't need a drivetrain. Boom. Done. It would have a reason to exist and the exhaust would be authentic. Yes, it adds some complexity. but it is also the best of all worlds and something that no one else is doing - a true differentiator that also solves range issues.
The thing is, all aluminum V8s are not very heavy for how much power they make. Sure you can make a small V8 and save 100 lbs or maybe even 150. But the EV stuff is MASSIVE. The car will be a lot heavier with a hybrid system if the system has any kind of decent power output and range.

And no way am I a buyer if they get rid of the transmission. No transmission = no fun IMO.

The way I see it, evs have their flaws. But they've made more progress in 10 years than ICE cars have in 50. Most of the shortcomings of EVs can be attributed to the fact that evs haven't received much attention until about 3-5 years ago for most companies.
50 years puts us back to 1970, when cars needed "tune ups" every year and they were mostly worn out in 100K miles. Carburetors, mechanical distributors, z bar clutch linkages, 3 speed automatics, bias ply tires, drum brakes most common, AC uncommon. Almost every aspect of cars has changed dramatically in that time frame.

Can you please say what has improved with EVs? The only thing I'm aware of is they improved the chargers from massive suck to less suck.

For road trips, you have fast chargers that can charge 10-80% in as little as ten minutes. My point overall is evs are pretty good right now, and will only improve massively in the coming years. Whereas gas motors have basically peaked.
Fast chargers (if available) do help EVs be at least usable and less non-competitive. They don't fix a lot of the problems though. EVs cost too much, are too heavy, don't last long enough, don't make cool explodey sounds.. they just generally are meh.

You must have a time machine to be able to predict the future like that. We have no idea whether EVs will improve or whether ICE has peaked. Power generation in ICEs has increased by double or more by displacement in the last 20 years or so.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yea just like all of the ICE vehicles that have never had any recalls… You are still dealing with a mass produced product, you are going to have manufacturing defects that will lead to recalls. No way around that.

Feel free to never buy a new car again, the rest of the world is going to move forward without you…
I've told myself if history repeats and they start making Mustang IIs again, I'm not going to be the person who trades in my big block for an anemic 4 cylinder. I don't care which model sits on the hood.

Sometimes buying the latest and "greatest" might not be the best move.

I won't be especially jealous of those people driving around in their massive, silent bubble cars.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I posted elswhere the EV I would buy. Owning/Wanting an EV/hybrid is perfectly rational. It's the notion that they *SOLVE* a particular/stated problem that I was ridiculing.
Sponsored