• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Have you ever listened to Formula E vehicles? Electric motors are not “nearly silent” even my previous model 3 had some motor wine when you stepped on it. From what I have read, the Dodge EV uses a combo of sources INCLUDING real motor noice to create the sound. They are likely using a sound generator at low speeds since an EV motor doesn’t idle. But the rev sound is likely true EV motor sound that’s been tuned through the “exhaust”.

Bottom line to me is that I commend Dodge for trying something different than just slapping a speaker on it.
Its already been stated that the sound is Facsimile. A copy. Not original. This copy is then amplified.

I guess that’s where I was coming from. I had RC cars when I was a kid. Yes they made noise. It from what I understand, that’s not so much the motor as it is the bearings, gears, etc. thst make up the drive train.

In formula e, I believe the gears meshing, tire and wind noise are what you are hearing unsure if that is being captured and amplified by a resonant chamber as well.
Sponsored

Evo1986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT - 55 years edition Kona Blue AT
I think speculations about hybrid or electrified Mustangs bring us nowhere. We have to wait roughly 4 more weeks and hopefully all our questions will be answered. I am not reading any magazines or articles on the web because some of them for example still reporting that the new Stang will likely to get the Mustang Mach E screen, which is BS as we all know.

And one word to Dodge: I don't care if it is artificial noise, air pumped exhausts or weird velvets, to me it sounds horrible. I have a dyson vaccum cleaner at home and it makes the same noise. I really cannot understand people justifying that as " sound". Just my cents to that topic.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I think speculations about hybrid or electrified Mustangs bring us nowhere. We have to wait roughly 4 more weeks and hopefully all our questions will be answered. I am not reading any magazines or articles on the web because some of them for example still reporting that the new Stang will likely to get the Mustang Mach E screen, which is BS as we all know.

And one word to Dodge: I don't care if it is artificial noise, air pumped exhausts or weird velvets, to me it sounds horrible. I have a dyson vaccum cleaner at home and it makes the same noise. I really cannot understand people justifying that as " sound". Just my cents to that topic.
exactly.I mentioned earlier it sounds like a vacuum or Dustbuster. It really does. Almost exactly the same. I’m glad I’m not the only one who heard that and thinks it’s horrid. I watched the event today and was embarrassed for them - especially how they went all in on talking up a feature that will likely be lampooned. And calling it “banshee” lol. Can you imagine being at a local muscle car event and hearing 20 of these things revving and racing? The annoyance level would be epic. Worse, imagine having to hear that every single time you want to “drive spiritedly.” Dang.

the reason we are discussing this is due to the article that was posted, erroneous as it was.

I think hybrid discussion and EV discussion is important as this is the direction ford is heading. They will champion the v8 as long as possible, but EVs will beat it in terms of performance. The instant nature of the motors is the flat torque curve v8s dream about.

it’s also relevant since the only American competition just revealed on of its electric competitors.

we will see in a few weeks what the next few years of mustang looks like, but likely not too much on future powerplants. Hope I’m wrong though.

ultimately we are discussing hybrids as a way to solve the same problems dodge talked about today minus the horrendous drawbacks. And we are discussing EV as the seemingly inevitable outcome as Ford has already made major investment and staking brand identity on an EV push. Since this discussion is happening on a thread started by an article on the mustang going EV at some point, and not say on a thread about the s650 launch, it’s on topic and worthy of exploration.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge parent Stellantis each have their own EV initiatives.

I did a quick scan of secured battery supply chains this morning.

Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge battery supply chains have been secured with materials for North American EV sales.

Articles referenced are one of many, often based on company release data.

Ford: enough for 600,000 EVs by 2023, with 2,000,000 by 2026. Annual North American sales: 2,000,000.

https://etn.news/buzz/ford-battery-capacity-battery-metals-strategy-north-america

Chevrolet: enough for 1,000,000 EVs by 2025. Annual North American sales: 1.5 million.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1136632_gm-secured-battery-material-1-million-evs-by-2025

Stellantis: by 2030, enough for 5,000,000 EVs (globally), with US EV supplies secured, now. Annual North American Sales: 2-300,000.

https://money.usnews.com/investing/...thium-supply-from-california-for-ev-batteries

Last edited:

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
F' it. Bring in on. Once there are only EV Mustangs available, that will be one less thing for me to think about.

I won't be buying any EV Mustangs, won't be on any forums. Won't have to worry about next gen, horsepower numbers, prices, any of that.

I'll get, like, 3 hours of my day back. Sounds good. I'll stick with what I got.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
As thePill mentioned on another thread, there is a very good chance the S650 only last for 2 or 3 Model Years with no refresh OR, depending on sales and, 8th Gen development, runs 2MY’s and then refreshed for a 3rd and a flexible 4th MY.

The S650 was designated differently than the S550 due to the “scalability” of the newer platform. thePill likes to hear a shortened 105” wheelbase for the GT350 and 500 BUT, what “scalability” actually means is the implementation of EV/Gas Hybridization.

As a student of structure, if a platform can be altered to support a Hybrid option then the platform can probably scale its wheelbase to whatever they need it to be as long as the design supports it.

The CD6 experiment might have ended with the Mach-E if it truly ended up there. What a glorious way to profit from a platform that never went under the mainstream Mustang. ❤❤❤

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge battery supply chains have been secured with materials for North American EV sales.
it's all hot air and paper. none of it is real.
It's as tradeable as Musk's "funding secured".

These companies are if not completely unhinged mad, lying about future EV production numbers. They think the consumer is going to knuckle-under and buy EV because it's the only game in town. They are sadly mistaken - if the big3 try to cram this nonsense they will lose and BIG'ly. And new car sales will plummet as the consumer holds onto their ICE.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
it's all hot air and paper. none of it is real.

And new car sales will plummet as the consumer holds onto their ICE.
They are estimates/agreements, yes. When they actually attempt to mine, produce and ship so many numbers of batteries, things could change dramatically. I'm genuinely interested to see what challenges they face and solutions.

I'm aware of recent price increases for MY23 impacting Ford EVs. Thousands of dollars which will make anyone pause. Riven also eliminated some features or packages for MY23, due to parts availability.

Are manufacturers moving towards EV? Certainly. Will they get there or in the numbers as quickly as they suggest? I don't think so, especailly when you have manufacturers the world over attempting to do it at the scale they now do ICE. Will ICE be around a while longer? Longer than many expect today, yes.

Timelines? I don't have a clue. Wouldn't want to guess. But generally longer than some believe.

And there are others still which are researching and developing power via hydrogen and fuel cells.

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The S650 WILL NOT be a long Model Run… 5MY’s to 2029 is what they want but Ford might be ready to go 8th Gen as early as 2026. I guess the situation is fluid and is dependent on a few factors.

S650 Sales, 8th Gen development AND, how good the Daytona does. 😉

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
Dubbed the Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust, this system replaces the traditional exhaust note with a facsimile. Without revealing details—again—Dodge says it’s not just a speaker churning out simulated combustion noise. It’s likely some sort of pump that pushes air through a device to generate sound. In a world of nearly silent EVs, Dodge promises this one will be loud: 126 dB—that’s the same peak noise rating as your current Charger SRT Hellcat.
The purpose of the exhaust sound is to save those chickens crossing the road from getting run over.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
They are estimates/agreements, yes. When they actually attempt to mine, produce and ship so many numbers of batteries, things could change dramatically. I'm genuinely interested to see what challenges they face and solutions.

I'm aware of recent price increases for MY23 impacting Ford EVs. Thousands of dollars which will make anyone pause. Riven also eliminated some features or packages for MY23, due to parts availability.

Are manufacturers moving towards EV? Certainly. Will they get there or in the numbers as quickly as they suggest? I don't think so, especailly when you have manufacturers the world over attempting to do it at the scale they now do ICE. Will ICE be around a while longer? Longer than many expect today, yes.

Timelines? I don't have a clue. Wouldn't want to guess. But generally longer than some believe.

And there are others still which are researching and developing power via hydrogen and fuel cells.
But a $7500 EV tax credit is one hell of an incentive to change.
Right now, the Mustang Mach-E is the only Mustang eligible for a the $7500 EV tax credit. 2028 will be too late for the S650 to get it.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
But a $7500 EV tax credit is one hell of an incentive to change.
It can be, if the math works, yes. The tax credit (currently limited to 200,000 units per manufacturer) is one variable. And I'm sure on some models it can be worthwhile, but others, maybe not.

Ford recently increased pricing by thousands of dollars for the Lightning, so much so the $7500 is all but wiped out. If I was considering a Lightning, the changes, even with the credit included, would make me pause.

And the new bill recently passed: it includes a $7500 credit, for cars involving EV, US supply chains.

https://www.eenews.net/articles/climate-bill-would-create-roadblock-for-full-ev-tax-credit/

The current incentive clearly works for several people purchasing different types of vehicles. Each person is going to need to sit down and run the numbers on what interests them and how that vehicle meets their needs.

Over time customers, industry and government are going to review and make their own adjustments; this lends to my thought any of these changes will take time and not happen as quickly (or as easily) as some think.

Last edited:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The purpose of the exhaust sound is to save those chickens crossing the road from getting run over.
actually, producing sound is good for exactly the kind of reasons you stated.

a cat or dog sleeping under the car will know to move before something horrible happens. Children playing in the streets or pets having escaped the yard will be alerted to oncoming danger. And everyone gets an idea of acceleration.

the only negative in the case of the dodge is that it sounds like a household vacuum cleaner.

Last edited: