• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Zach@Granger

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
After having a few days to digest everything, I've come up with my opinion (that isn't worth anymore than anyone else's).

1. I commend Ford for taking the time to develop a "halo" Mustang. It would be easier (I'd also argue more profitable) to develop some aspects of an evolution from the 2020-22 GT500 and it would sell very well. That is a proven formula that works and would be the safe bet. Look at the success the Dodge Demon has had, when the only real upgrade is the engine/fuel (I know I'm oversimplifying it, but that is where the vast majority of the upgrades went). This sold out instantly and the "market price" for a demon is $100,000 over sticker commanding a transaction price of approximately $200-225,000. Ford really took a risk here to develop new Carbon Fiber body panels, all new suspension, Dry Sump oiling system, Rear Transaxle setup, Active Aero, etc. So I am extremely impressed they took this risk. They did what was necessary to compete with a different class of car in the 911 GT3RS and the AMG GT.

2. Speaking of those competitors - Is Ford asking too much of a premium? The 911 GT3RS starts at $240,000, the AMG GT starts at $170,000.
S650 Mustang Official: 2025 Mustang GTD Revealed! 800+ HP 5.2L V8, Pushrod Suspension, $300K MSRP 1692641697687

Can Ford command a premium compared to the Porsche? I would make the argument that you would need to come in under the price of the Porsche, which in most people's estimation is the standard-bearer in this segment. I don't have any concrete information on this, other than videos that I have watched, but seeing starting prices at $300,000 + Optional Wheels, + Optional Carbon Bumpers, + Optional Active Front and rear aero + Optional custom Paint + Optional custom interior options makes me believe you could touch a sticker price of $400,000 with every box checked.

3. Do customers really want a Track-Focused road car? Interestingly enough, Mercedes released the 2024 AMG GT at the same show as Ford and they are swinging back the opposite direction. They are adding back in rear seats, adding AWD, and are boasting of a more comfortable and plush ride than the outgoing 2023. So what does this high end market want? This remains to be seen, until we see what the sales figures, but I would remind everyeone of two cars that are highly sought after now, but didn't sell all that well new. The 2005-06 Ford GT was only priced at $150-160,000 and could be bought at a discount on dealer lots towards the end of its production run. The 2013-2017 Viper is a track monster and commands a premium now, but didn't sell all that well at $130-160K. Both of these cars are very highly sought after today, but didn't sell out instantly when they were new like some may believe now.

4. I don't believe in anyway this car replaces the everyman Halo Mustang GT500/Cobra. There is a ton of room between the $70,000 Dark Horse and the $300,000 GTD to add back the old halo Mustang Shelby GT500 and I don't believe for a second Ford is walking away from that market like some have anticipated. Production levels of 4000-5000 vehicles in that $100-150K range I believe will happen and I would look for some trickle down technology or aesthetics from this car to reach that car. Ford's typical timing for this units is a year or two after the newest generation is released and I would anticipate similar for the S650.

In conlusion, I really hope this is a sales success from Ford and they are rewarded, because it would be a lot easier to stick to the proven formula of the existing Shelby GT500. Pushing the engineering envelope like this is fantastic for automotive enthusiasts.

I can see a big rush of a small group of enthusiasts initially purchasing the GTD followed by the opportunity to purchase this car below MSRP for a period of time after release because the demand is not as high as anticipated for a $300,000+ Mustang. There are people at Ford a lot smarter than me making those calls, but judging by domestic track-focused history in this price point, it wouldn't surprise me if the demand for this unit falls short of anticipated. I sure hope I'm wrong!
Sponsored

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
@Zach@Granger Not sure if you've given this any thought but the GTD is going to follow the same application process as the Ecoboost Ford GT. In my mind that is a made to order unit for a customer deemed worthy by Ford and Multimatic. You would know better than I but I've never seen the newer Ford GT available for sale from a dealer.

Having said this, If Ford has a contract with Multimatic that they're to build 2000 units and there's not enough interest, does Multimatic produce the remaining units and ship them out to dealers?

In regard to the GT3RS, not just anyone can walk into a Porsche dealer and order one for msrp. They are way over list price and have heard anywhere from $50K over (if you're lucky) and upwards of $150K over list. Anyone else who has been able to order one at list has been a Porsche client at a particular dealer for many many years and have purchased multiple cars. I own a GT3, ordered and paid list for it but I've also purchased over ten Audi and Porsches from the same dealership over the last two decades.

The pros/cons on this application process for the GTD is, if you get chosen for an allocation you'll pay list with no BS shenanigans from the dealer. The cons can be the applicant needs to be connected in some way, be a celeb, influencer etc. Not sure that having bought several Ford Performance Mustangs, Raptors etc will do it.

Zach@Granger

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
@Zach@Granger Not sure if you've given this any thought but the GTD is going to follow the same application process as the Ecoboost Ford GT. In my mind that is a made to order unit for a customer deemed worthy by Ford and Multimatic. You would know better than I but I've never seen the newer Ford GT available for sale from a dealer.

Having said this, If Ford has a contract with Multimatic that they're to build 2000 units and there's not enough interest, does Multimatic produce the remaining units and ship them out to dealers?

In regard to the GT3RS, not just anyone can walk into a Porsche dealer and order one for msrp. They are way over list price and have heard anywhere from $50K over (if you're lucky) and upwards of $150K over list. Anyone else who has been able to order one at list has been a Porsche client at a particular dealer for many many years and have purchased multiple cars. I own a GT3, ordered and paid list for it but I've also purchased over ten Audi and Porsches from the same dealership over the last two decades.

The pros/cons on this application process for the GTD is, if you get chosen for an allocation you'll pay list with no BS shenanigans from the dealer. The cons can be the applicant needs to be connected in some way, be a celeb, influencer etc. Not sure that having bought several Ford Performance Mustangs, Raptors etc will do it.
Yeah, those are some great questions. I have seen bantered around online numbers from 1000-2000 units of production. Ford would have to make a commitment to its suppliers that they are ordering X number of parts for these units. So what happens if demand falls short of that? I would anticipate dealer stock orders to happen to fill that gap between custom orders and production shortfall if there was one.

I heard a similar process of an application to the Ford GT, but we didn't sign up to be a Ford GT dealership so I'm not very familiar with that process. I know, I personally applied for the Mustang GTD this time around, so we'll see how it works out and I can report back based on the application online.

Like I said before, I hope they are wildly successful with this project because I think its a great thing for automotive enthusiasts. But $300,000 is a lot of money and there are a lot of options out there in that price range.

Zach@Granger

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
I am hoping @Jarstang puts in a good word for me on my "social influence" on Mustang7G and that pushes me over the top on my application for a Mystichrome Mustang GTD.

I'll take a bunch of pictures and will try to find someone better with a camera than me to become the official road test car of Mustang7g. :like:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
3. Do customers really want a Track-Focused road car? Interestingly enough, Mercedes released the 2024 AMG GT at the same show as Ford and they are swinging back the opposite direction. They are adding back in rear seats, adding AWD, and are boasting of a more comfortable and plush ride than the outgoing 2023. So what does this high end market want? This remains to be seen, until we see what the sales figures, but I would remind everyeone of two cars that are highly sought after now, but didn't sell all that well new. The 2005-06 Ford GT was only priced at $150-160,000 and could be bought at a discount on dealer lots towards the end of its production run. The 2013-2017 Viper is a track monster and commands a premium now, but didn't sell all that well at $130-160K. Both of these cars are very highly sought after today, but didn't sell out instantly when they were new like some may believe now.
The AMG GT is the base for the AMG GTR (the track car) that also have a AMG GTR Pro (even more track focused) and then an AMG GTR Black Series ($325,000) (this is the 730 hp track monster) that is the top standing AMG GT at the Nurburgring (6:43.616). Rumour has it that Ford benchmarked the GTD against the Black Series which if true will speak for a serious lap time way bellow 7 minutes.

The presented AMG GT is the very basic version think 911 Carrera. Which explains why it's soft with awd and rear seats. There will be more performance oriented versions down the road.

Zach@Granger

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Mustang
The AMG GT is the base for the AMG GTR (the track car) that also have a AMG GTR Pro (even more track focused) and then an AMG GTR Black Series ($325,000) (this is the 730 hp track monster) that is the top standing AMG GT at the Nurburgring (6:43.616). Rumour has it that Ford benchmarked the GTD against the Black Series which if true will speak for a serious lap time way bellow 7 minutes.

The presented AMG GT is the very basic version think 911 Carrera. Which explains why it's soft with awd and rear seats. There will be more performance oriented versions down the road.
Thanks, I'm not nearly as familiar with the European trim nomenclature. From a quick google search it looks like the Black Series was a production run of 1700 units over 3 years. Still a lofty goal in my opinion for a Domestic. Again, I hope they crush it.

Zcarmenb28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Camaro ZL1, 22 Supra 3.0
i wouldnt be surprised if it was something law related so they can say "every engine will make this number" vs most US makes being like "this is the most HP this engine will make". I know Japan underrated almost every car they made for a while due to the gentlemen's agreement that limited their cars to 276hp.
Not sure on the German engine rating laws or if it’s just a perception or reputation thing e.g., “doing more with less”.

The US SAE rated number isn’t the most hp a us rated engine will make. It’s the rated hp under certain conditions. If I recall it’s 78 deg F at about 14.2 or 14.3 psi (Uncorrected) atmospheric pressure — similar to the pressure at around only 800 ft above sea level. So as you can see those aren’t very bad conditions, and there’s many conditions and locations in the US where engines will make less than their rated hp a significant portion of the year. I believe the SAE conditions, as I mentioned, are about 1900-2000’ DA, it’s been a while since I looked at it closely though.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
After having a few days to digest everything, I've come up with my opinion (that isn't worth anymore than anyone else's).

1. I commend Ford for taking the time to develop a "halo" Mustang. It would be easier (I'd also argue more profitable) to develop some aspects of an evolution from the 2020-22 GT500 and it would sell very well. That is a proven formula that works and would be the safe bet. Look at the success the Dodge Demon has had, when the only real upgrade is the engine/fuel (I know I'm oversimplifying it, but that is where the vast majority of the upgrades went). This sold out instantly and the "market price" for a demon is $100,000 over sticker commanding a transaction price of approximately $200-225,000. Ford really took a risk here to develop new Carbon Fiber body panels, all new suspension, Dry Sump oiling system, Rear Transaxle setup, Active Aero, etc. So I am extremely impressed they took this risk. They did what was necessary to compete with a different class of car in the 911 GT3RS and the AMG GT.

2. Speaking of those competitors - Is Ford asking too much of a premium? The 911 GT3RS starts at $240,000, the AMG GT starts at $170,000.
1692641697687.png

Can Ford command a premium compared to the Porsche? I would make the argument that you would need to come in under the price of the Porsche, which in most people's estimation is the standard-bearer in this segment. I don't have any concrete information on this, other than videos that I have watched, but seeing starting prices at $300,000 + Optional Wheels, + Optional Carbon Bumpers, + Optional Active Front and rear aero + Optional custom Paint + Optional custom interior options makes me believe you could touch a sticker price of $400,000 with every box checked.

4. I don't believe in anyway this car replaces the everyman Halo Mustang GT500/Cobra. There is a ton of room between the $70,000 Dark Horse and the $300,000 GTD to add back the old halo Mustang Shelby GT500 and I don't believe for a second Ford is walking away from that market like some have anticipated. Production levels of 4000-5000 vehicles in that $100-150K range I believe will happen and I would look for some trickle down technology or aesthetics from this car to reach that car. Ford's typical timing for this units is a year or two after the newest generation is released and I would anticipate similar for the S650.

In conlusion, I really hope this is a sales success from Ford and they are rewarded, because it would be a lot easier to stick to the proven formula of the existing Shelby GT500. Pushing the engineering envelope like this is fantastic for automotive enthusiasts.

I can see a big rush of a small group of enthusiasts initially purchasing the GTD followed by the opportunity to purchase this car below MSRP for a period of time after release because the demand is not as high as anticipated for a $300,000+ Mustang. There are people at Ford a lot smarter than me making those calls, but judging by domestic track-focused history in this price point, it wouldn't surprise me if the demand for this unit falls short of anticipated. I sure hope I'm wrong!
Because many Mustang’s have demanded dealer markup for the last 20 years and increasing, Ford has no choice but experiment.

The very limited number of GTD’s are likely already spoken for so none of us really need to worry about that unless we are on the list.

The GTD/GT3 Mustang’s will likely contribute to the next Gen Mustang like the GT350R did with the 2024+ models. The Boss302R was the baseline for the 2015… a process that began with the 2004 Mustang GTR concept.

Last edited:

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I've seen a lot of conjecture about how successful it'll be, I think we win either way as enthusiasts. Either the GTD turns out to be a massive hit, and we see it massively elevate the reputation of the mustang. Or it bombs, and their values tank, making it more feasible for us to get one.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
It really depends on how the race version does at LeMans and the track time at the Ring, online reviews etc.

GTP-J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2022Mach1
Within the Porsche family, seems the GTD would align with the future 992 GT2RS.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse (ordered)
Well they acknowledged that I have interest :crackup:

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 10.46.50 AM.png
Did you get that confirmation just from putting your email in on the “inquire about applying” box? I’ve done it with theee different email addresses and gotten nothing in return 🤔
Sponsored