• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I got to drive a S650 for the first time recently.. I'm underwhelmed

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Lol, some of these comments are pure comedy. The model has come a long way over the generations. This mustang has more power than most people can handle. It has a lot of potential in its base form with a few tasteful mods.
no one is talking the numbers on the sticker. We are talking improvements in actual performance from last gen - from the factory.

We’re all familiar with mods.
Sponsored

MaddNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GRC
It’s a strange time for the Mustang.
I don’t like to rain on the parade of those who love this time, but it’s a bit weird.
Yes, we all know Fords reasoning for keeping the status quo with some sheet metal updates here, some screen here, and twin throttle bodies over there. What that has resulted in is a facelifted s550 that calls itself s650. Performamce is the same. Heck, even plenty of the interior is the same. What should have been the standard GT is now branded “dark horse” and sold at an upcharge.

I don’t blame Ford for this. They have to find ways to remain profitable, keep some enthusiasm going in uncertain times, and ensure an American icon lives on when some of its peers are in their death throes.

but for those of us who really love the Mustang, it’s a bit… sad. Sure it looks ok. It performs ok. And it is basically ok. But it’s not exciting. Perhaps a gt500 will change that. But if it’s the same or barely faster than the last one, is that actually exciting? Others are cranking out performance home runs with hotter models on the way and those cars don’t sell in Mustang numbers.

so… I feel along the same lines as the OP and I don’t disagree.

hopefully the s650 gets refined a bit and goes for something truly special with the top models.

and beyond that, I truly hope the Mustang gets transformed into something especially exciting and special for the next generation. And no, I’m not talking about an SUV, truck, motorcycle, or station wagon.
Honestly, with all this talk about taking the Porsche racing model and kinda going fully into the sports car era, I was hoping Mustang would get a lighter dedicated chassis. Still plan on getting one though, but I agree with you.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
I don’t like to rain on the parade of those who love this time, but it’s a bit weird.
Yes, we all know Fords reasoning for keeping the status quo with some sheet metal updates here, some screen here, and twin throttle bodies over there. What that has resulted in is a facelifted s550 that calls itself s650. Performamce is the same. Heck, even plenty of the interior is the same. What should have been the standard GT is now branded “dark horse” and sold at an upcharge.

I don’t blame Ford for this. They have to find ways to remain profitable, keep some enthusiasm going in uncertain times, and ensure an American icon lives on when some of its peers are in their death throes.

but for those of us who really love the Mustang, it’s a bit… sad. Sure it looks ok. It performs ok. And it is basically ok. But it’s not exciting. Perhaps a gt500 will change that. But if it’s the same or barely faster than the last one, is that actually exciting? Others are cranking out performance home runs with hotter models on the way and those cars don’t sell in Mustang numbers.

hopefully the s650 gets refined a bit and goes for something truly special with the top models.

and beyond that, I truly hope the Mustang gets transformed into something especially exciting and special for the next generation. And no, I’m not talking about an SUV, truck, motorcycle, or station wagon.
I am not sure what people are expecting. The Mustang S550 platform is solid. Why blow it up? How much would Ford have to spend to do a clean sheet and hope it sells? The interior is not the same. I didn't like the S550 interior, the new tech is exactly one of the reasons I wanted an S650. Heck, I wasn't even a big fan of the S550 exterior. You seem to forget, people like change and new things. That's why we grow and try new stuff. My Dark Horse with the Tremec is the ultimate in excitement, excellent driver's car that is very fun to drive. Track times contradict your Dark Horse opinion. I don't like S550s but I know they are awesome. I like S197s and now the S650. Kudos to Ford.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Lol, some of these comments are pure comedy. The model has come a long way over the generations. This mustang has more power than most people can handle. It has a lot of potential in its base form with a few tasteful mods.
Too many clowns in this world ...

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I assure you I really love the Mustang. I find my 2024 GT superior to my 2019 GT. At first I was considering getting a discounted Mach 1 for the Tremec because I track the car, but ultimately the balance of pros and cons worked in favor of the 2024. I did not like the IPad dash. Now I think I can adapt to it.
You talk about others "cranking performance home runs with hotter models". I personally could not find anything RWD with big power and manual gearbox that was even close unless I paid much more for a german car that delivers feelings of excitement reminiscent of a good game of solitaire and nondescript looks.
What other exciting alternatives are there in the price range?

Last edited:

4ksk416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
no one is talking the numbers on the sticker. We are talking improvements in actual performance from last gen - from the factory.

We’re all familiar with mods.
s550<s550.5

it’s an improvement

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
This is also a case of diminishing gains due to extracting efficiency…

maybe one day ford gives us a 5.4 coyote… but I can already tell most complainers would choke when they see the 70-80K price tag along with it for a base GT.

the only way to make a big jump IS displacement.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I am not sure what people are expecting. The Mustang S550 platform is solid. Why blow it up? How much would Ford have to spend to do a clean sheet and hope it sells? The interior is not the same. I didn't like the S550 interior, the new tech is exactly one of the reasons I wanted an S650. Heck, I wasn't even a big fan of the S550 exterior. You seem to forget, people like change and new things. That's why we grow and try new stuff. My Dark Horse with the Tremec is the ultimate in excitement, excellent driver's car that is very fun to drive. Track times contradict your Dark Horse opinion. I don't like S550s but I know they are awesome. I like S197s and now the S650. Kudos to Ford.
WAS solid. Now outdated and behind.

again, we know fords rationale. And it’s understandable.

But still, let’s not pretend that is at all better than what it is - a continuation of a decade old platform - which was itself a continuation of a decade old platform. It’s in essence a heavier and IRS equipped version of a 20 year old platform.

Ford has gotten way more miles out of this thing than is reasonable. They’ve saved enough money on Mustang.

time to actually invest in it and do something great.

Last edited:

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WAS solid. Now outdated and behind.

again, we know fords rationale. And it’s understandable.

But still, let’s not pretend that is at all better than what it is - a continuation of a decade old platform - which was itself a continuation of a decade old platform. It’s in essence a heavier and IRS equipped version of a 20 year old platform.

Ford has gotten way more miles out of this thing than is reasonable. They’ve saved enough money on Mustang.

time to actually invest in it and do something great.
Yea but if I am 27 years old, why do I care if the platform is 20 years old. It's new to me and I like it better than any other model. But I understand and respect that you want a total re-design. I am not pretending it's better than what it is though. 55K to 72K for a manual NA V8 RWD with 450HP will always be extraordinary. Especially when you have a Mach 1 and DH within 2 seconds of a C8 Z51 on the Car and Driver Lightning Lap. With that performance, what needs improvement?!?

Chevy felt like they maxed the Corvette so they moved the engine to the rear something they contemplated for years. That isn't feasible for the Mustang. People are already screaming about the price of the DH. So I think they have done a good job of keep it somewhat affordable and making incremental improvements. My 2 cents.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea but if I am 27 years old, why do I care if the platform is 20 years old. It's new to me and I like it better than any other model. But I understand and respect that you want a total re-design. I am not pretending it's better than what it is though. 55K to 72K for a manual NA V8 RWD with 450HP will always be extraordinary. Especially when you have a Mach 1 and DH within 2 seconds of a C8 Z51 on the Car and Driver Lightning Lap. With that performance, what needs improvement?!?

Chevy felt like they maxed the Corvette so they moved the engine to the rear something they contemplated for years. That isn't feasible for the Mustang. People are already screaming about the price of the DH. So I think they have done a good job of keep it somewhat affordable and making incremental improvements. My 2 cents.
Sometimes you just have to roll your eyes and ignore all the gum flapping from the haters.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1; AT; M0960

One of the best summaries of S650 I have read. It is ok. The interior/tech refinements I was hoping for were actual improvements like a PDR, heads up display...not tacked on screens with a spinny Unreal mustang...hooray? Lol at people who seem to think they got refinement on par with a BMW. Everything except some tacked on screens and some slight surface changes is the same as S550 premium. You got some more hard plastic in the center console that is worse than the toggles and previous knobs and buttons. Oh well...buy what you want but it is no mystery to me why this thing is not selling well at all. A 500/Dark Horse variant really needs to relook the interior if they want this to sell. The "focus group" people they seemed to count on obviously didn't really intend to buy the car...they need us old folks back.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One of the best summaries of S650 I have read. It is ok. The interior/tech refinements I was hoping for were actual improvements like a PDR, heads up display...not tacked on screens with a spinny Unreal mustang...hooray? Lol at people who seem to think they got refinement on par with a BMW. Everything except some tacked on screens and some slight surface changes is the same as S550 premium. You got some more hard plastic in the center console that is worse than the toggles and previous knobs and buttons. Oh well...buy what you want but it is no mystery to me why this thing is not selling well at all. A 500/Dark Horse variant really needs to relook the interior if they want this to sell. The "focus group" people they seemed to count on obviously didn't really intend to buy the car...they need us old folks back.
I have an S197 which is the best interior made on a Mustang. Sorry, not cross shopping a BMW with a Mustang. Plenty of Mach 1s on Autotrader at 5K under MSRP.

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2024 GT
So don’t buy one
But where’s the fun in that? It’s a good thread w/ good banter to get people going. After all, isn’t that why we spend our time here?

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive

If you would understand the consequences of a 20 year old platform you would care...

The reason why the S650 is so heavy and offers so little improvements is mainly due to the outdated D2C platform. A newer platform would've easily allowed to use other materials and implement much more modern tech.

Imagine a S650 with a much lighter chassis and AWD that can go full RWD by clicking a button... 500 lbs less maybe?! What about HUD, 360 cameras, or a much stiffer and therefore performance oriented convertible? None of this happened and it's just disappointing to see that S650 really just is a facelifted S550.
Sponsored