• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I got to drive a S650 for the first time recently.. I'm underwhelmed

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Ford Mustang Factory 260 V8 3sp, Caspian Blue
Good morning, all. I'm sure a handful of you remember me. If not, nice to meet you. I was the guy who obsessed over the digital gauge cluster, going as far as to make some crappy hypothetical gauge clusters in Photoshop. Now do you remember?

I've been awoken after a notification of a random comment on an old thread. Even if I hadn't been notified, I've actually been meaning to return to M7G to share my thoughts now that the car is out.

I'm underwhelmed by it.

Now look, I was VERY excited for the S650. I had a 2024 GT ordered on March 27th, the day the orders opened. In fact, I was the first one to the dealership, before the salesmen and before any other buyers. I ended up cancelling because of financial stability reasons. (didn't end up being an issue, but obviously I didn't know that at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess) Instead, I bought a used 2015 Mustang GT for $17,000. That's less than 1/3rd the price of the GT I had ordered (55k).

The real reason why I decided to post today was this: I got to drive a 2024 GT recently, and I'm genuinely underwhelmed. I expected it to be more exhilarating, more fun, more.. special. And it really wasn't. Lots and lots of people were saying that about it when the car was first unveiled, and yet I still expected it to be at least a little bit different. Seats feel softer and are overall a bit nicer imo, the screens look SHARP and a lot less intrusive in-person, the software is fun to play with, but otherwise the interior is damn near identical to the S550. It drives the same, it accelerates the same, it sounds the same, it's the same freaking car.

Now I get it, the S550 is really hard to make better. I love the looks of the S650, I think the rear has the S550 and S197 vastly beat, and the front looks better than the 2018+ S550. The car is still a blast to drive, it's still loud and gurgly, and still a perfectly capable daily. However, I'm left wondering why pay $50k when you can get an almost identical car for 1/2 the price? (or in my case, 1/3rd, nearly 1/4th) I know many answers include having the latest thing, the looks, the tech, and the warranty/reassurance of no one beating on the car before you. Is that really justification for an extra $20-30k?

I am not at all trying to get anyone to not buy the S650. It's your money and your choice. The Mustang is still a LOT of car for $50k, and a great deal for daily-capable muscle. I just wanted to throw my opinion out there and see what the general masses thinks.
Sponsored

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
My GT was 43K… when i bought last fall people wanted that much and MORE for used gen 3s.

I’ve been very much “whelmed” and own a 1000HP foxbody for comparison.
Sounds like some cope.
Enjoy your 15!!

s650.j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP
This comparison makes no sense. I think the 9 year and probably 80k mile difference, along with it being a whole new generation more than justifies the price difference.
You’re getting a brand new updated coyote with the option of an updated 10r80 (which wasnt even an option then) or a 6r80. The capabilities of these cars haven’t even been explored yet, and theres already some in 10’s with stock factory tune.
If the performance upgrades don’t convince you then the interior is also a huge update. The screens make it look much more modern, regardless of whether you like them or not. The materials are much higher quality and its a much more comfortable ride, especially if with magneride (which again wasn’t even available then).
FURTHERMORE, I can turn my car on from my phone while im sitting on the toilet taking a dump. And the list keeps going.
I think the early s550 is an amazing platform and a steal for 17k. You should be out enjoying it rather than looking for validation. By your logic we should’ve all bought foxbodies since they came with the 5.oh anyway

OP
OP
Apeman

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Idk. I think you're expecting more than a vehicle can offer.
Quite possible. Still an awesome car as-is, that's for sure

OP
OP
Apeman

Apeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This comparison makes no sense. I think the 9 year and probably 80k mile difference, along with it being a whole new generation more than justifies the price difference.
You’re getting a brand new updated coyote with the option of an updated 10r80 (which wasnt even an option then) or a 6r80. The capabilities of these cars haven’t even been explored yet, and theres already some in 10’s with stock factory tune.
If the performance upgrades don’t convince you then the interior is also a huge update. The screens make it look much more modern, regardless of whether you like them or not. The materials are much higher quality and its a much more comfortable ride, especially if with magneride (which again wasn’t even available then).
FURTHERMORE, I can turn my car on from my phone while im sitting on the toilet taking a dump. And the list keeps going.
I think the early s550 is an amazing platform and a steal for 17k. You should be out enjoying it rather than looking for validation. By your logic we should’ve all bought foxbodies since they came with the 5.oh anyway
I am not seeking validation, but instead some reasons, like you provided, that show why someone might want to pay that extra bit of money. It definitely adds up. Also I had no idea the 10r80 was updated. Quicker shifts? Shorter gears?

steyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT PP1 Rapid Red
Yeah it's a weird comparison he makes. The S650 GT is way faster then the 2015-2017 GTs. The interior is also way nicer.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
I am not seeking validation, but instead some reasons, like you provided, that show why someone might want to pay that extra bit of money. It definitely adds up. Also I had no idea the 10r80 was updated. Quicker shifts? Shorter gears?
From a customization stand point Ford knocked it out of the park with the S650. People are ordering stock cars that look awesome and are damn near unique. Raiti's Ride did a review of a yellow S650 with blue Calipers. No offence to anyone but that is a beautiful spec for a female. All these GT's perform awesome and some people want a look that gets their heart pumping. I have seem some awesome specs.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
Yeah it's a weird comparison he makes. The S650 GT is way faster then the 2015-2017 GTs. The interior is also way nicer.
On the street they are relatively close 0-60
The 24 is definitely faster- but definitely not that much faster- thinking a couple of tenths 0-60
Now once you get past 60- the 24 will definitely pull on the 15
But if you just did a quick test drive from stop light to stop light and didnt let the 24 stretch its legs - I could see how someone could think one is not that much faster then the other

This is of course manual transmission to manual transmission

A10 24 vs the A6 15 - stock vs stock - the 15 is getting spanked 6 ways until Sunday - its not even close

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
TBH, I was underwhelmed by your post. But, alas, to each his own. You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that.

Is it worth it? To me, yes. Why? Because I can afford it and I like new things. I don't like buying used, as it's not worth it to me to risk getting somebody else's problems.

With the exception of one vehicle in the past ~20 years (for my youngest daughter when she first got her license), I always buy new vehicles. A dozen and a half in the past two decades, and still counting.

Again, to each their own, and no offense intended.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
I still wonder why there is a single Mach 1 S550 available. The lucky ones knew.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
What are you talking about there’s over 2 dozen new left over still with 6K plus in markdowns

go grab one
Obviously I'm biased, but unless you got the sweetheart Ford financing deal that just expired, idk why you would buy a '24 GT over a '23 Mach 1 for around the same price.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
What are you talking about there’s over 2 dozen new left over still with 6K plus in markdowns

go grab one
Meanwhile a 350R Heritage just sold for 148K on BAT lol

Sorry- just having fun with you all....

I still have a soft spot for Mach 1s with Handling Packs- S550 PP1s - Grabber Blue DHs - and the Vapor Blue GT on bronze RTR wheels someone posted oh and velocity or grabber blue GT500 CFTPs

Oh and fox bodys - I still love me some fox bodys - at some point after kids are growing... when I leave CA or if they become smog exempt here in CA- Im definitely building a fox body- too hard to do now with CA emission laws

Oh and any 65-70 fastback- although I do like me some 65-66 coupes
Sponsored