• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Higher end halo models as daily drivers

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
I have to admit...and assuming I would fit (I am tall/long in the torso, so I hit my head in most vehicles, even my F350)...I am kind of drooling over the new Mustang.

background. I typically buy new, then keep it for a long time (usually 8-14 years). I have it serviced at the dealership, get all recommended services, and I get everything fixed when it breaks. I only sell the car when over a year, I end up paying more in repairs then I would buying a new car. My car usually has more than 100k miles when I trade it in. I also live in Delaware, but there will be times I will need to travel to Philly for airport travel in winter...no parking my truck at the airport as it doesn't really fit

I work from home, so most of my travel is either going to the grocery store, the occasional trip to a bigger shopping center, and the occasional road trip. I do not track my car, but I have been known to get my car up to the posted speed limit fairly quickly on occasion, and I do like horsepower and torque...

A couple of questions then for you all then...
Are halo models like the Dark Horse (or the Boss, Bullitt, Mach 1, etc...not GT350/500) worth it as a main car? Is the ride that much better, or hold the road better on the interstate?
Sponsored

KINGKONA

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/AE/MAGNERIDE
Are halo models like the Boss, Bullitt, Mach 1, etc...not GT350/500) worth it as a main car? Is the ride that much better, or hold the road better on the interstate?
Why do you think a performance oriented car would "ride that much better"??? I've never seen someone have the expectation that a performance car would ride "better". The usual expectation is that they will ride firmly, and sometimes harshly.

And "hold the road better on the interstate"??? That just don't make no sense. Interstates are largely flat, or with very gentle curves. There's no road-holding involved in driving on the interstate.

And the question you should be asking, is whether or not a Mustang is the right car to drive year 'round, and leave at the airport.

Also, if you like torque, a Mustang will be disappointing to you. The 5.0 engines are high RPM screamers, not low RPM torque monsters.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT Premium
My 2019 pp2 was a DD, all day every day. I love this 2021 GT, but that PP2 was on rails and had magnaride. My S650 purchase in a few years will be one of these special models.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
I'd think about the Dark Horse as a DD now, given that I no longer do rush hour and put only around 6K a year on my current rude.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have to admit...and assuming I would fit (I am tall/long in the torso, so I hit my head in most vehicles, even my F350)...I am kind of drooling over the new Mustang.

background. I typically buy new, then keep it for a long time (usually 8-14 years). I have it serviced at the dealership, get all recommended services, and I get everything fixed when it breaks. I only sell the car when over a year, I end up paying more in repairs then I would buying a new car. My car usually has more than 100k miles when I trade it in. I also live in Delaware, but there will be times I will need to travel to Philly for airport travel in winter...no parking my truck at the airport as it doesn't really fit

I work from home, so most of my travel is either going to the grocery store, the occasional trip to a bigger shopping center, and the occasional road trip. I do not track my car, but I have been known to get my car up to the posted speed limit fairly quickly on occasion, and I do like horsepower and torque...

A couple of questions then for you all then...
Are halo models like the Dark Horse (or the Boss, Bullitt, Mach 1, etc...not GT350/500) worth it as a main car? Is the ride that much better, or hold the road better on the interstate?
I dunno if Iā€™d call most of those Halo cars, but thatā€™s me quibbling. I own a Mach 1 and itā€™s a fantastic daily driver, though I do have two cars now so I donā€™t have to put crazy miles on the Mach and I can garage it in winter.

A better question might be what exact model and features or use case you want. For instance the new Dork Horse will have adaptive cruise control, which you might care about if you do a lot of interstate driving, versus the Mach, which doesnt

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, shadow black
I try not to DD my Mach 1, but man it is a great DD...magneride is where it's at. Go from normal which soaks up everything, to track which is on rails.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The only Halo Mustang today is the GT350/GT500. All the others are modified GT's. For your purposes any of them will be just fine. They can and are daily drivers if that is what you need/want. The S550 is an awesome highway cruiser, comfortable and easy driving. And if you get one with MagneRide you are all set.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thereā€™s plenty of Mach 1/GT350/GT500 folks that daily their cars. Itā€™s really a matter of personal preference. Personally, I buy cars to drive them so if I bought a GT350 or a GT500 you bet Iā€™d drive them frequently or even daily. A 500 would struggle in the snow even with proper tires but a Mach 1 and 350 would do just fine. I would expect the Dark Horse to be no different

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
A 500 would struggle in the snow even with proper tires but a Mach 1 and 350 would do just fine.
I'm curious about that, is that really true that these RWD handle snow with snow tyres fine? Haven't tried it myself yet but from all the stories I heard from BMW owners it kinda ends up like this:

RWD like this seem unusable to me in snow šŸ˜

KINGKONA

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1/AE/MAGNERIDE
A 500 would struggle in the snow even with proper tires but a Mach 1 and 350 would do just fine.
With the same tires, there's no difference between any of the Mustangs in the snow.

kendrickdlr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Marquis
All modern Mustangs are comfortable enough for daily driving IMO. Just depends what you're looking for in MPG, seat of the pants feel, etc...

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
I'm curious about that, is that really true that these RWD handle snow with snow tyres fine? Haven't tried it myself yet but from all the stories I heard from BMW owners it kinda ends up like this:

I did snow for 7yrs straight in my 2003 Mach1. All I needed was some snow tires. Done it every year in my Bullitt as well. I've never owned a 2nd car.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I may end up getting flamed for this, but IMHO for daily driving the difference between the specialty models (Mach 1, Bullet, Dark Horse, etc) and a "regular" GT is more about bragging rights than a difference you will actually feel. Yes, you can push these cars a bit harder and with a stopwatch, you might measure a difference in lap times or at the strip, but you won't notice it driving down the freeway or running to the grocery store. Now that said, owning a car like this is about the fun it brings. If part of that fun is owning that distinctive model with its distinctive features and the ability to push the envelope a bit more than the standard model, then that is a real and legitimate reason to plunk down the extra $$$.

With regard to driving in the snow, when I was (much) younger, I owned an '83 GT as my daily driver and drove it year round. I live in a very rural and very hilly part of Connecticut and I never found myself stuck or stranded (and I did not even use snow tires). But, I had more than a few "white knuckle" moments too (and I can still remember them 35 years later). While it is doable, I would not recommend using a car like this as DD in the winter. I also would be real concerned about leaving a car I plunked that much cash down on in an airport parking lot. It will accumulate damage (dings, chips, scuffs, and scratches).

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited

The Mustang sets very low compared to a SUV or a F-150.
When the Snow gets over six inches or more the Mustang will need a Snow Plow to get going.
Here in the Denver area people will drive their MUSTANGS all year round, but never in the Snow or Icy roads. Never.
Sponsored