• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

2024 Ecoboost as daily driver (in MI)?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Am curious to hear the thoughts of buying a 2024 EB as a daily driver here in SE MI? I work from home and currently own a RWD car and if the weather is bad I just don't go anywhere or we take the wife's SUV. That being said, I'm curious what the general consensus is on the 2024 EB. Honestly my budget is around $30K which basically gets me a base model EB which has plenty of equipment on it for me. I just want a vehicle that's going to be reliable and honestly is fun to drive.

I've read and heard that the 2.3 EB is a pretty much a different engine than the 2.3 EB in the MY23's and earlier. I'm not sure of all the changes or if those changes are even good, lol. Also does this 'new' 2.3 EB run on regular 87 octane or does it require premium? Unfortunately I'm not seeing many 2.3 EB base Mustangs around my area for sale but maybe ordering one would be an option if I decide to go this route. I plan on checking one out in person soon to see if it's something that's even worth pursuing. I would say 95% of the time it's either just me or me and the Mrs. driving around so not too concerned about the back seat situation but it's probably wise to see if my kid can fit back there if need be (LOL).

So EB owner's how are you liking your Mustang? Feel free to offer up and advice or recommendations as well.
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I went with the top end but there is nothing wrong with the EB. At 300 horse power it will move pretty well, it will run on 87 octane without much of a performance hit and it gets good milage. It has about the same amount of room in the back seat as my 96 and I have had 4 adults in there. The front seats had to be moved forward so I was a little cramped. I wouldn't want that for a long trip but it was livable for a night on the town. The car should handle well and would be comfortable as a daily driver.
Now consider my 96. It was only 210 horse power but it served as a daily driver for many years. It's still fun to drive and the 24 should be a better car. Try a test drive in an EB if you can find one and if not, test drive a GT. As long as you don't press the gas peddle all the way down, the experience should be pretty much the same.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Welcome to the Forum. :like:. :clap:.

It reads like you're not pressed for time, so that puts a lot of things in your favor.

It appears the latest engine is new. Maybe not every individual component, but in several significant concepts and areas. I haven't read anything negative of it.

For now, I'd sit tight, stay with us, continue to study the car and the market. Come Spring, when the car shows start up again, especially the bigger events, I'd chat up anyone from the local Mustang clubs to.

It's a new car and a new engine. Waiting for at least a few more months, if not until next MY, will not only allow time to secure reviews and thoughts on the car, but pick up what would most likely be a better deal.

You could buy new in 2024/2025. But you might also pick-up a certified used one at a great price. Either way, things are in your favor.

Regarding octane, the minimum octane requirement is 87. While you can run that, being a turbo four-cylinder, I think you're better off running the highest octane you can consistently find. Also, source your fuel from a "Top Tier" provider; web sites and listings will provide greater insight.

Edit: https://www.mustang7g.com/forums/threads/front-inner-wheel-well-issues.158833/

BTW...Michigan and Winter driving: I'd study the thread above. Lots of really good insight on the topic involving wheel wells and openings from the factory. I'd think further ahead for a self temp fix or be plugged in with your local dealer (for a possible Ford fix) before regularly driving in Winter with the openings exposed.

Last edited:

Japasa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang ecoboost
Am curious to hear the thoughts of buying a 2024 EB as a daily driver here in SE MI? I work from home and currently own a RWD car and if the weather is bad I just don't go anywhere or we take the wife's SUV. That being said, I'm curious what the general consensus is on the 2024 EB. Honestly my budget is around $30K which basically gets me a base model EB which has plenty of equipment on it for me. I just want a vehicle that's going to be reliable and honestly is fun to drive.

I've read and heard that the 2.3 EB is a pretty much a different engine than the 2.3 EB in the MY23's and earlier. I'm not sure of all the changes or if those changes are even good, lol. Also does this 'new' 2.3 EB run on regular 87 octane or does it require premium? Unfortunately I'm not seeing many 2.3 EB base Mustangs around my area for sale but maybe ordering one would be an option if I decide to go this route. I plan on checking one out in person soon to see if it's something that's even worth pursuing. I would say 95% of the time it's either just me or me and the Mrs. driving around so not too concerned about the back seat situation but it's probably wise to see if my kid can fit back there if need be (LOL).

So EB owner's how are you liking your Mustang? Feel free to offer up and advice or recommendations as well.
I actually like the 24EB I purchased one in atlas blue in October. The car runs fine on 87 octane. My only complaint is the sound of the I4 engine. I love the sound of the V8. So that being said I placed an order for a premium GT with all options except PP since I will never track the car. I find myself torn since the practical side of me wants to keep the EB but the sports car side wants the V8. I plan on selling the EB in the spring. My GT probably won’t be built till April or May. I would like to find a buyer for my EB since I had the whole front end wrapped in paint protection film with a 10 year warranty. I also had the roof wrapped in gloss black to emulate the night pony package. It goes great with the tinted windows, which I also had done. I will attach a picture if I can figure that out. I guess a fair price would be around 27,000. If you’re interested we can talk about it. In any event good luck with your quest.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I actually like the 24EB I purchased one in atlas blue in October. The car runs fine on 87 octane. My only complaint is the sound of the I4 engine. I love the sound of the V8. So that being said I placed an order for a premium GT with all options except PP since I will never track the car. I find myself torn since the practical side of me wants to keep the EB but the sports car side wants the V8. I plan on selling the EB in the spring. My GT probably won’t be built till April or May. I would like to find a buyer for my EB since I had the whole front end wrapped in paint protection film with a 10 year warranty. I also had the roof wrapped in gloss black to emulate the night pony package. It goes great with the tinted windows, which I also had done. I will attach a picture if I can figure that out. I guess a fair price would be around 27,000. If you’re interested we can talk about it. In any event good luck with your quest.
I just sent you a PM. Sounds like a gorgeous car.

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP
We have a '18 S550 base Ecoboost (the wife's daily driver). It has been great... terrific milage, fun to drive, plenty of power, looks good. In the NW we don't see as much snow as Michigan, but all my daily drivers get dedicated winter tires. The mustang does well in small amounts of snow and on the occasional icy morning commute. If snow is too bad we also have a 4x4 suv and the mustang stays home (pretty rare).
Though it will run fine on 87 octane, I believe in running premium in a turbo and it has a tune so really needs it. I have most of my cars tuned for premium... either older cars with high compression or newer cars with a tune... so I guess I'm used to paying the premium for premium.
As for fun... I have an old hot rod that's a lot of fun... in a straight line... a classic Z28 with lots of suspension and handling modifications... also fun, but a very firm ride... But the Ecoboost mustang always puts a big smile on my face... if the wife let's me drive it lol... So I ordered up a fully loaded '24 Ecoboost and love it... so much so that I may sell one of the other toys (running out of garage space).

Best bang for the buck, it's hard to beat the Ecoboost mustang!

2024S650

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 S550
Here is a brief From Ford Authority on the new 2024 Mustang Ecoboost.

“The Blue Oval states that the latest iteration of the 2.3L EcoBoost powerhouse features its new Modular Power Cylinder (MPC) Engine Architecture, which helps keep design continuity across the 1.5L I4 EcoBoost, the 2.0L I4 EcoBoost, and the 2.3L EcoBoost engine family. It features a dual fuel system, port fuel injection and 350 bar direct injection for performance, fuel efficiency and reduced carbon emissions. Additionally, its new twin scroll low-inertia turbocharger features a high speed electronic wastegate system, along with compact variable cam timing (VCT), an integrated air induction system and an integrated hot side exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system to help mitigate emissions”

I owned a 2020 GT M6 as well as a 2022 GT A10. I must say the A10 was a Love /Hate relationship. The A10 felt soooooo much faster than the M6 but I absolutely hated the A10 downshifts. More to follow on the A10.

My wife wanted a 2024 Mustang and had been looking at motorcycles again, I recommended a Convertible to get the open air feeling of a bike without maintaining and paying more insurance, taxes, etc by adding motorcycles. If you ride you know lots of aging riders opt for a Miata etc once their riding is done. I just wanted more safety for her and at this point feel I'm done riding too but that could change and day

Anyway to the point

She bought the 2024 Ecoboost Convertible, and cancelled the 2024 Ecoboost HPP with Magneride that was on order. This is just MY opinion and mine only. The bad, the Ecoboost will never give you the sound that the 5.0 does, never. I would honestly rather not even hear the 2.3 and leave hers in Quit Mode at all times, she has Active Exhaust. The favorite button is actually programmed for Quiet Exhaust. The Good, and it far outweighs the bad. I feel the Ecoboost handles and drives much better than the GT, easier turn in on curvy roads and holds the line better. Its just feels effortless. There is plenty of power and the best part, Ford did something magical to the 2024 A10 programing for the Ecoboost. If you dont drive daily do yourself a favor and use Premium gas, Im not gonna debate the merits. Calculate the annual savings, its not that much by using 87.

When the 2024 was first announced I was not a fan, as a matter of fact I bought a leftover 2022 after seeing the S650. I felt that strong. BUT, it grew on me and side by side I much prefer the S650.

I no longer own the 2022 GT and can say that if I was in the market today I would buy the Ecoboost, just forget about what anyone else thinks. HOWEVER, I would definitely buy the HPP. Literally everything in that package is worth the price of admission.
2.3L High-Performance Package

The available 2.3L High-Performance Package includes:
  • 3.55 TORSENÂź Limited-Slip Rear Axle
  • 19" x 9" Carbonized Gray-painted Wheels With 255/40 ZR 19 (Summer Only) Tires*
  • 19" Bremboℱ Brake System With Performance Linings and Black With White Logo Brake Calipers
  • Accent-Stitched Center Console Lid
  • Black Painted Strut-Tower Brace
  • Black Seat Belt
  • Carbon Black Grille — Molded-in-Color
  • Electric Hand-Operated Parking Brake (Drift Brake)
  • Front Towing Hooks
  • Heavy-Duty Front Springs
  • Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel — Four-Piece With Chrome Bezel
  • Paddle Shifters
  • Raised Wedge Decklid Spoiler — Painted Body Color (Fastback Only)
  • Spoiler Delete (Convertible Only)
  • Unique Chassis Tuning
  • Unique EPAS, ABS and Stability Control Tuning
  • Upsized Rear Sway Bar

My wife's EB does not have the HPP option because she decided to buy a car on the lot and liked the wheels on the Wheel and Stripe Package much better.

I think the Ecoboost in Base form is a great value but the HPP has a lot of nice options.

S650 Mustang 2024 Ecoboost as daily driver (in MI)? IMG_2022

Last edited:
OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Here is a brief From Ford Authority on the new 2024 Mustang Ecoboost.

“The Blue Oval states that the latest iteration of the 2.3L EcoBoost powerhouse features its new Modular Power Cylinder (MPC) Engine Architecture, which helps keep design continuity across the 1.5L I4 EcoBoost, the 2.0L I4 EcoBoost, and the 2.3L EcoBoost engine family. It features a dual fuel system, port fuel injection and 350 bar direct injection for performance, fuel efficiency and reduced carbon emissions. Additionally, its new twin scroll low-inertia turbocharger features a high speed electronic wastegate system, along with compact variable cam timing (VCT), an integrated air induction system and an integrated hot side exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system to help mitigate emissions”

I owned a 2020 GT M6 as well as a 2022 GT A10. I must say the A10 was a Love /Hate relationship. The A10 felt soooooo much faster than the M6 but I absolutely hated the A10 downshifts. More to follow on the A10.

My wife wanted a 2024 Mustang and had been looking at motorcycles again, I recommended a Convertible to get the open air feeling of a bike without maintaining and paying more insurance, taxes, etc by adding motorcycles. If you ride you know lots of aging riders opt for a Miata etc once their riding is done. I just wanted more safety for her and at this point feel I'm done riding too but that could change and day

Anyway to the point

She bought the 2024 Ecoboost Convertible, and cancelled the 2024 Ecoboost HPP with Magneride that was on order. This is just MY opinion and mine only. The bad, the Ecoboost will never give you the sound that the 5.0 does, never. I would honestly rather not even hear the 2.3 and leave hers in Quit Mode at all times, she has Active Exhaust. The favorite button is actually programmed for Quiet Exhaust. The Good, and it far outweighs the bad. I feel the Ecoboost handles and drives much better than the GT, easier turn in on curvy roads and holds the line better. Its just feels effortless. There is plenty of power and the best part, Ford did something magical to the 2024 A10 programing for the Ecoboost. If you dont drive daily do yourself a favor and use Premium gas, Im not gonna debate the merits. Calculate the annual savings, its not that much by using 87.

When the 2024 was first announced I was not a fan, as a matter of fact I bought a leftover 2022 after seeing the S650. I felt that strong. BUT, it grew on me and side by side I much prefer the S650.

I no longer own the 2022 GT and can say that if I was in the market today I would buy the Ecoboost, just forget about what anyone else thinks. HOWEVER, I would definitely buy the HPP. Literally everything in that package is worth the price of admission.
2.3L High-Performance Package

The available 2.3L High-Performance Package includes:
  • 3.55 TORSENÂź Limited-Slip Rear Axle
  • 19" x 9" Carbonized Gray-painted Wheels With 255/40 ZR 19 (Summer Only) Tires*
  • 19" Bremboℱ Brake System With Performance Linings and Black With White Logo Brake Calipers
  • Accent-Stitched Center Console Lid
  • Black Painted Strut-Tower Brace
  • Black Seat Belt
  • Carbon Black Grille — Molded-in-Color
  • Electric Hand-Operated Parking Brake (Drift Brake)
  • Front Towing Hooks
  • Heavy-Duty Front Springs
  • Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel — Four-Piece With Chrome Bezel
  • Paddle Shifters
  • Raised Wedge Decklid Spoiler — Painted Body Color (Fastback Only)
  • Spoiler Delete (Convertible Only)
  • Unique Chassis Tuning
  • Unique EPAS, ABS and Stability Control Tuning
  • Upsized Rear Sway Bar

My wife's EB does not have the HPP option because she decided to buy a car on the lot and liked the wheels on the Wheel and Stripe Package much better.

I think the Ecoboost in Base form is a great value but the HPP has a lot of nice options.

IMG_2022.jpeg
Just wanted to say thanks to you and everyone else you responded to my questions here as it's been very helpful. I have a few more questions if anyone would be so kind:

How is the maintenance schedule looking on the 24 EB? I assume it takes synthetic oil but what about the actual maintenance schedule - things like spark plugs,etc? Is it an expensive car to maintain and service?

Also does anyone know what tires come on the EB? I see the base EB has 18" wheels but I think the 19" wheels might look better but I'm wondering what brand of tire might come on both the 18" and 19" if anyone knows. Any other information please feel free to let me know.

I do notice another person mentioned some openings in the wheel wells where debris and other unwanted 'stuff' might take up residence (ie snow,etc) so I'll have to read the thread that was linked for that and see what kind of solution might be available for that.

Again thanks for all the help everyone.

Last edited:

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
The computer tells you when you need service. At least once a year and no more than 10,000 miles. The V8 is the same and as a low milage drive, it will probably tell me I need service by 4,000 miles as the calculation uses time combined with milage. If you drive a lot, service could be required at 7,000 to 10,000 miles.
As for spark plugs, for the last 20 year they will last 100,000 miles so service should pretty well determined by oil changes.
Tires really amount to how aggressive you are with the car and your desire for appearance. The stock tires are fine as a daily driver but if you want more out of the car, different tires could be the way to go.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 EcoBoost Rapid Red
Service should be pretty easy. As mentioned above, spark plugs at 100k miles, probably coolant and trans fluid change at the same time although the manual says you can go further. Since it is a turbo, most outside recommendations suggest no more than 5000 mile oil changes to preserve the life of the turbo.

My 18" Ecoboost tires came with Continental ContactPro tires. They seem to be fine, but I am not an aggressive driver. I would agree with the daily driver comment above.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'd download and review the Owner's Manual. Inside is a specifications section and the maintenance schedule.

Oil changes, tire rotations and routine checks. At the three-year mark, the brake fluid will need to be changed. Then, several maintenance milestones later on.

Attached are some ordering guides and technical specs. Order Guide and pricing will be somewhat dated, but they will give you an idea on wheel rim sizes, options, etc.

Attachments

mabcim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64.5 Mustang Conv, ‘22 Maverick, ‘23 Escape
I had a 2011 Ecoboost that I used as a daily driver for about 7 years. It was 301 HP. I live in the Rochester NY area, so should be similar snow amounts to most parts of MI. Back then I drove 30 minutes each way to work. I put Blizzaks on for winter, the car drove great. I did grow up driving RWD cars, so used to them in winter. Having that again maybe me never to wanted FWD again, the feel of RWD drive in the winter felt more natural to me. I have since had a ‘17 Fusion AWD 2.0 and now a ‘22 Maverick AWD 2.0.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I do t know what part of Michigan you are from and north to south is significantly different in the winter. We moved from northern Indiana(at the state line) a few years ago. We got a ton of lake effect snow many winters. Plenty of people drive mustangs in the snow up to a certain amount. A good set of snow tires, not crap all season tires, and you’ll be set. I know people that had snow tires on Saturn sky’s and Pontiac solstices driving in 5-6” of snow.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I daily drive my Mustang, always have. Even my 1965 convertible in college. I used to commute from Port Huron to downtown Detroit in my 2006 with a supercharger. Did it in SE Michigan with my 2013, 2017 EcoBoost and 2019 EcoBoost. Never had an issue with snow.

DannyJ7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium, Carbonized Gray

Ok, I am a EB premium owner in the capital area of Michigan and use my EB as my daily. I work from home, so the amount of miles I put on, on a daily basis, aren't considerable, but I do have about 6,500 miles on my EB since picking it up Aug 24. I put on Bridgestone Blizzaks the end of Nov and haven't had much need for them (as I'm sure you're aware).

Winter tires aside, I haven't had any issues with calling the car a reliable and enjoyable daily driver, but, again, we haven't had much inclement weather to measure against in that regard. Our roads are notoriously horrid - but the EB (on stock wheels and tires) has a great ride and soaks up much of that, in my opinion at least.

I think the sweet spot when comparing value puts the base EB with NPP at the top. I wouldn't change out the premium package I got (heated seats and steering wheel are lovely in cold MI), but I can see how more price sensitive folks wouldn't find the total cost worth it.

My two cents.
Sponsored