• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Anyone else struggled deciding between EcoBoost and GT for daily driver?

Ctang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
Thanks so much for the reply. You make some very good points and honestly those points are what keep bringing me back to the EB. Did you get a base EB or does it have one of the packages on it? What kind of driving do you do (city, highway, mixed) and what kind of mpg's are you seeing? Are you using regular or premium for gas? Looks like your in Cali - what kind of discounts are you seeing on Mustang's there?
-I do a mix of driving, about 25.5 mpg combined.
-I use premium gas
-Equip group 101a and the nite pony package
-IDK about any discounts, I didnā€™t get one.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2012 Volvo S60 T6
Thanks so much for the reply. You make some very good points and honestly those points are what keep bringing me back to the EB. Did you get a base EB or does it have one of the packages on it? What kind of driving do you do (city, highway, mixed) and what kind of mpg's are you seeing? Are you using regular or premium for gas? Looks like your in Cali - what kind of discounts are you seeing on Mustang's there?
I'm in Ontario. I got about $1000 off in October. I purchased the premium (201a) with bronze package. I use premium 93, usually 94 as that's what available on my route.

City I'm currently averaging 10.9km/l which is about 25.6 mpg. Highway I got 8.5km/l which is about 20 mpg. If I had kept driving it would have kept going lower too!!! I'm actually getting close to the window sticker which advertised 10.8 km/l city and 7.1 km/l highway. Sure I would have hit that if I drove more.

I gotta say, the dark matter grey with bronze package is a real head turner.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
I've struggled with this question too. I think too many discount the Ecoboost for what it is. It's not any better or worse than the GT. It has its own list of Pros that some people may overlook. It is a different setup and may suit your needs better as a daily driver.
Ecoboost Pros:
-Lighter weight than the GT
-More torque in the lower RPMs
-Still RWD like the GT
-Same Interior Critter Comforts as GT
-Better MPG, insurance costs

You should not worry about Ecoboost engine failures as long as you don't do heavy modifications. My dad ordered a 22 Ecoboost 2 years ago and worried he made the wrong decision because of stories of engine failures and reliability issues, but the car has been fine with no issues. He didn't think the price of a GT justified the extra power it produced since he knew would not take advantage of it anyways. He just wanted a fun cruiser and has not regretted his decision.
This is my first post.
I currently have a 2020 F150 LIMITED. IT HAS THE 3.5 Ecoboost 450 horses. 510 lbs. torque. The same motor as the Raptor.
The main maintenance you MUST DO is Change the motor oil, regularly.
I have my oil changed and tires rotated ever three months, regardless of mileage.
This is my 6th Ecoboost. Never had any, ZERO issues with the Ecoboost.
I love the 302., 5L..The power, the torque, etc.
THIS IS a Great Site.
lā€˜m learning as much as I can before I order a 2024 Mustang.
I havenā€™t had one in a long time.
THX
IFFV-68
First Field Force Vietnam, 1968.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
My gas mileage is pretty low I believe itā€™s between 15-17 and thatā€™s with city driving a lot of stop and go and occasionally able to cruise without so much stop and go. I do have the 10 speed. When I had my ecoboost it was city driving as well but not as much stop and go and I was averaging 22MPGā€™s.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
I'm in Ontario. I got about $1000 off in October. I purchased the premium (201a) with bronze package. I use premium 93, usually 94 as that's what available on my route.

City I'm currently averaging 10.9km/l which is about 25.6 mpg. Highway I got 8.5km/l which is about 20 mpg. If I had kept driving it would have kept going lower too!!! I'm actually getting close to the window sticker which advertised 10.8 km/l city and 7.1 km/l highway. Sure I would have hit that if I drove more.

I donā€™t know where you live but,
I live in Colorado.
There use to be 12 different blends of WINTER GAS in the USA. I donā€™t know what they use now. JUST know its BAD GAS.
Your gas mileage will suffer a great deal in the Winter months.
It burns faster and there is nothing you can do.
Sin Loy.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury

So your only seeing 20 mpg highway? Shouldn't you be seeing way higher on the highway rating? Here in the US the highway rating is 33 mpg and I've seen people say they see 36-37 in certain conditions. Your city of 25.6 is really good IMHO.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
From every post of those that got the EB over the GT it seems budget was the main factory. Either it was price of the car, price of gas and mpg.

If you have a budget you need to stick to then the last thing you need is advice from a forum. You should already know what to do. No one here knows your present of future financial situation.

It is almost $12k difference between the EB and GT.

What one gets in MPG will always vary based on driving and a lot of other conditions. You simple can't compare someone else's MPG to others.

Aufenscuht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0I
Like one member stated earlier; there are no GT owners that wish they had purchased an ecoboost. Once the initial thoughts of MPG savings are gone and a few V8's pass you by rumbling, an EB owner start experiencing some resent. I guarantee it. I am averaging 20 mpg on my commute thus far. 300 miles on the car. Some straight roads, some stop and go in the city.

Have owned plenty of boosted 4cyl vehicles. Unfortunately, the V8 is always the way to go for me.

The Wizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Mustang; 16 F-150
Well, with a V8, you get to work 20 minutes faster than with an el cheapo engine, so I certainly understand the motivation for that...

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
I've struggled with this question too. I think too many discount the Ecoboost for what it is. It's not any better or worse than the GT. It has its own list of Pros that some people may overlook. It is a different setup and may suit your needs better as a daily driver.
Ecoboost Pros:
-Lighter weight than the GT
-More torque in the lower RPMs
-Still RWD like the GT
-Same Interior Critter Comforts as GT
-Better MPG, insurance costs

You should not worry about Ecoboost engine failures as long as you don't do heavy modifications. My dad ordered a 22 Ecoboost 2 years ago and worried he made the wrong decision because of stories of engine failures and reliability issues, but the car has been fine with no issues. He didn't think the price of a GT justified the extra power it produced since he knew would not take advantage of it anyways. He just wanted a fun cruiser and has not regretted his decision.
The Ecoboost is a solid choice.
I have the 3.5 HO, 450 horses in our 2020 Limited.
The only thing you must do is change the oil regularly.
I Change & Rotate the tires every 3 months.
Reguardless of mileage.

RaceRedder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse HP
I really really dislike the ecoboost after I sat once in a GT. Before that I totally loved the ecoboost and that was more than enough for me.

If you like the ecoboost. Please, never ever testdrive a GT or you are doomed.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
I was dead set on getting a 24 EB to use as a daily driver, so much so that I have one on order. The last few days a voice inside my head said I need to at least consider the GT. Wondering if anyone else here has gone through this same scenario and if so what was your decision along with some of the pros and cons you weighed?

Obviously the GT is more ($10K in my case) and I know the GT will cost more to insure, fuel and maintain. Those are all issues that are manageable but the big thing I'm fighting is the what if. I'm sure I would be happy with the EB but part of me is asking would a GT make things that much more enjoyable? I do plan to keep this car for 10+ years so I want it to be reliable but if something did come up in my life where I had to sell the car say 5 or 6 years down the road how would each fair for resale?

I see lots of talk online about the EB going EcoBoom but that seems to be more of an issue with owner's being careless with maintenance or doing other stupid things with mods, etc. TBH I haven't even driven an new GT yet and I hope to do so soon but the weather is crap here so I may have to wait a bit. Anyway any insight into their thought process on this very issue would be very beneficial to me so I appreciate any and all input.

To sum it up, I'm sure the EB would suit me just fine but I just hope a few years down down road I don't say to myself darn I should've got the GT, lol. But really do I need that much power that the GT provides (probably not) and is it worth the additional $10K price of admission? I'm a huge numbers guy so to me that's the million dollar question.

Feel free to chime in with anything that might be relevant to help me make this decison:)
Iā€™m also on the fence right now.
I test drove a 2024 GT a few days ago. The Mustang had the 301 package.
IT was nice to drive. Was a little surprised how the exhaust sounded.
The dash was a Gamers Dream. All digital and very nicely laid out very bright.
I Havenā€™t driven the Ecoboost. The dealer didnā€™t have any.
I Would like to test drive the 2.3 eco-boost high-performance.
The Eco-boost high-performance comes with a lot of options. .
The eco-boost high-performance with the 201 A package would be comparable to the GT with the 401 A package.
The difference in dollars , value & how bad I want one over the other is very subjective.
It looks like I will have to be satisfied with the Eco-boost with the 315 horsetest drive šŸŽ.
Only then I can make a decision.
SIDE BAR,
It seems there are a few bugs šŸœ with the 2024 Mustang?

horned-toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi S5
I really really dislike the ecoboost after I sat once in a GT.
the interior is identical. So your statement makes no sense.

But sure after DRIVING both I can see one's opinion changing. Especially when you realize the EB doesn't come with the correct transmission.