• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Glad to hear this. I’m sure the profitability of Ford’s EV business will help fund the continued development of our ICE powered vehicles.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Always knew it would be this way, it just makes sense. Evs for people who want basic transportation are the better option, they're cheaper to own long term, safer, much more reliable/durable, and they're obviously more environmentally friendly, making them the perfect cars for most consumers. But for enthusiasts, ICE will be the preferred option, at least for the next 5-10 years. So this decision benefits everyone.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Slight tangent, but I'm not opposed to an EV for a daily. They may very well become easier and cheaper to maintain than ICE cars overtime as the tech improves.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yep, Ford can claim they had the first pony car and the last ICE pony car...........and at a push (although I'd argue differently) they could claim the first EV pony car with the Mach E.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Always knew it would be this way, it just makes sense. Evs for people who want basic transportation are the better option, they're cheaper to own long term, safer, much more reliable/durable, and they're obviously more environmentally friendly, making them the perfect cars for most consumers. But for enthusiasts, ICE will be the preferred option, at least for the next 5-10 years. So this decision benefits everyone.
ummm....

The Tesla model S Plaid is an "enthusiasts" dream, faster than an M5 around the track, and down the 1/4 mile. All without being a "sports car"

Honestly, if you want performance, electric wins over gas every time. That's because your engine throws about 2/3rds of the energy generated by it away as heat. Electrical motors can not only use energy more efficiently, but they can use it to recover that energy as well. Brake fade? Not really. Most of the energy of braking goes back into the battery, or if needed, capacitors. Then that energy can be immediately used to launch you out the other side of that curve.

yes, there are a few drawbacks to EVs, but not in the performance area.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Depends on what you're "enthusiastic" about. Pure performance? Sure, EV every time. Me? A car needs to have soul, and a big part of that soul is the noise and sensations of an internal combustion engine, preferably a V8. That's what I'm enthusiastic about :)

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
ummm....
maybe if you live life a quarter mile at a time. On a track a lot of them have trouble overheating their packs. Heck the mach e has that stupid 5s limit. They also have a lot tougher time running a full track day. Performance also drops off significantly on a partial pack.

evs are great for stop light drag races and hot laps but they still have a lot of performance holes.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That doesn't seem correct to me. EVs are typically more expensive, don't last as long, require expensive mods to your home, require that you own a home (I could go on). As far as I can tell ICE is better suited to daily transportation right now.

Maybe you can correct me by giving examples of current EVs that are cheaper than gas equivalents and how the money you save in the MSRP of the cars offsets the cost of owning a home and getting your garage wired up to do charging.

I also don't think EVs are safer. Everyone knows better than to touch an ICE when it's running. In an EV the power is always present, and the danger is equivalent to working on an ICE while it's running.

ummm....

The Tesla model S Plaid is an "enthusiasts" dream, faster than an M5 around the track, and down the 1/4 mile. All without being a "sports car"

Honestly, if you want performance, electric wins over gas every time. That's because your engine throws about 2/3rds of the energy generated by it away as heat. Electrical motors can not only use energy more efficiently, but they can use it to recover that energy as well. Brake fade? Not really. Most of the energy of braking goes back into the battery, or if needed, capacitors. Then that energy can be immediately used to launch you out the other side of that curve.

I agree electric can be made to perform excellently. But enthusiasts usually buy for enjoyment more than absolute performance. I've never won a prize or even been in an automobile race, but I prefer to enjoy driving nearly every day.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
I admire how fast the Teslas are, but they're heavy. I can't imagine they're very fun to drive in the twisties.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I admire how fast the Teslas are, but they're heavy. I can't imagine they're very fun to drive in the twisties.
A GT500 is heavy too, but plenty of fun in the twisties. The Tesla's are pretty well balanced and handle surprising well especially the model S. It is really nice to know going forward, at least in the near future, we will still have a choice. Everyone can get what they want.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
ummm....

I know this, and I accept and enjoy the performance you get with some evs. But I also know that many hardcore enthusiasts would still prefer a vehicle with an ICE powertrain, even if it was much slower, so they could have that unique experience

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
That doesn't seem correct to me. EVs are typically more expensive, don't last as long, require expensive mods to your home, require that you own a home (I could go on). As far as I can tell ICE is better suited to daily transportation right now.

Maybe you can correct me by giving examples of current EVs that are cheaper than gas equivalents and how the money you save in the MSRP of the cars offsets the cost of owning a home and getting your garage wired up to do charging.

I also don't think EVs are safer. Everyone knows better than to touch an ICE when it's running. In an EV the power is always present, and the danger is equivalent to working on an ICE while it's running.

I agree electric can be made to perform excellently. But enthusiasts usually buy for enjoyment more than absolute performance. I've never won a prize or even been in an automobile race, but I prefer to enjoy driving nearly every day.
Ford's own f-150 over the course of about a decade will be at least 17% cheaper to own than a comparable gas powered f-150. Battery tech and motors can already easily last a few hundred thousand miles and well over a decade with no major issues, and they're getting more reliable all the time. Literally every brand who sells evs and gas powered cars has said one of the main benefits of evs is they're so cheap to own long term. They almost never break, compared to gas powered cars, which have issues all the time, and they're much cheaper to "refuel". Sure, they cost more upfront, but long term, they're the cheaper option. Maybe if you only keep a car for 5-10 years, gas will be preferable, but beyond that, 10-15 plus years, evs will be more reliable. Many evs have their original batteries 12-15 years later, just look at Ford and Toyota hybrids.
Sponsored