• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Front inner wheel well issues

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Do we know what the intended purpose is for this hole (if it has a purpose)? It would be nice for Ford to tell us what exactly the purpose of this hole is . I agree it's a good idea to close it up somehow to prevent rocks and debris from getting in there but what about water getting in there and pooling up? Are we confident that any water that still gets in there after closing up the hole will be able to drain so it's not sitting in there causing rust and rot to the metal?
to recap:
1. There was never such opening there before, not in any other model of Mustang
2. it looks ugly like a part is missing
3. the lining is made out of felt-like material with multiple round drain holes, from which water can escape. So absolutely yes. (pic taken from https://www.mustang7g.com/forums/threads/underbody-photo-is-that-an-x-or-h-pipe.157547/)
S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 1.07.17 PM
Sponsored

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Why haven’t they told us yet?
because it's either a) a single point of failure ... or b) a major oversight that is simply embarrassing.

Or c) they don't give a lollipop, they have better things to worry about, like how nobody is buying their Mach E's

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
Do we know what the intended purpose is for this hole (if it has a purpose)? It would be nice for Ford to tell us what exactly the purpose of this hole is . I agree it's a good idea to close it up somehow to prevent rocks and debris from getting in there but what about water getting in there and pooling up? Are we confident that any water that still gets in there after closing up the hole will be able to drain so it's not sitting in there causing rust and rot to the metal?
yes, water can get out, it’s open around the corner for lack of a better description.

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
because it's either a) a single point of failure ... or b) a major oversight that is simply embarrassing.

Or c) they don't give a lollipop, they have better things to worry about, like how nobody is buying their Mach E's
They truly don’t care, initially I was naive that contacting them would go somewhere (clearly not). Honestly I don’t believe they will do a thing about this unless it affects the bottom line or creates cost associated with the car’s warranty (it will take years).

I started this back in September and even the dealers regional representative made it sound like there are too many gauntlets to get through.

It’s extremely disappointing.

heinvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan, Sprinter, Transit, Saturn
It will be a while before I can tool up for a vacuum formed part so released the 3D printed versions to shapeways.com. I have a couple on order so will verify fit when they arrive early February.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/impactproducts
[Edit] we have decided to run these parts in house so the shapeways files have been removed. here is a link to our site where you can purchase the panels: https://diyvan.com/collections/ford...rd-mustang-fender-liner-hole-cover-panels-kit

There is a one piece version that is a little less cost but will need to be split into RH and LH by the installer. Or you can order the RH and LH part separately.

We have had Shapeways run production parts for our van business and their quality is excellent.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues Impact_fender_liner_plu

S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues Impact_fender_liner_plug_back

Last edited:

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP
It will be a while before I can tool up for a vacuum formed part so released the 3D printed versions to shapeways.com. I have a couple on order so will verify fit when they arrive early February.

There is a one piece version that is a little less cost but will need to be split into RH and LH by the installer. Or you can order the RH and LH part separately.

We have had Shapeways run production parts for our van business and their quality is excellent.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

Impact_fender_liner_plug.png

Impact_fender_liner_plug_back.png
Very nice! I've used shapeways before... good quality work.

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 Limited
All, I have posted this in some other threads regarding the 2024 mustang front inner wheel well openings. For those of you who are not aware, there is an opening directly behind each front wheel where stones, dirt, sand get tossed into. Once it goes in, there is no way for it to get out unless you clean it out. The stones will work their way between the outer plastic rocker molding and the pinch weld where they etch their way through the paint. The opening also exposes the K member as well as the body sheet metal. So as you drive your car, you are damaging a place that under these circumstances becomes VERY vulnerable to rust and corrosion. I have never seen such a poorly designed inner fender well? Ford as well as the dealers need to hear about this so hopefully they can get a new design for this half of the wheel well.

Here is a video put up on youtube. If you have seen it great, but if you have not and are not aware of this, please watch this or go look at your wheel well, you will see what I'm talking about. It is much easier to see on a lift, but I discovered this the first night just laying down looking under the car.

Either this winter or this spring I plan on making something to cover this. I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on this.

Thank you

If you can engineer something. Now wound be a great time to make Mustang owners very happy.
Patent a resoulation & make some 🎆💰.

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

Impact_fender_liner_plug.png

Impact_fender_liner_plug_back.png
I am ready to buy it so I can have it installed before spring runs!!!

DannyJ7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium, Carbonized Gray
I’m thinking a piece of AbS plastic and use a heat gun to mold it to shape. I’ve done things like this before. May attempt it
I used Kydex. It's not pretty, but its definitely going to stand up to some abuse.

DannyJ7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium, Carbonized Gray

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
Hero level stuff here. Thank you!

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
If you can engineer something. Now wound be a great time to make Mustang owners very happy.
Patent a resoulation & make some 🎆💰.
I totally agree that you should do this ultimately!
And that permits us the middle fingers to the Ford’s crappy design behind the front tire walls! May the peace come to our minds when we drive and not hear the rattling of the stones caught insides!

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
They truly don’t care, initially I was naive that contacting them would go somewhere (clearly not). Honestly I don’t believe they will do a thing about this unless it affects the bottom line or creates cost associated with the car’s warranty (it will take years).

I started this back in September and even the dealers regional representative made it sound like there are too many gauntlets to get through.

It’s extremely disappointing.
I guess this is why Ford corporate blew me off regarding this problem.

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
People need to keep talking about this, eventually hopefully some of the sponsored social media people will bring this up. It’s also disappointing when you have all these people doing there reviews it’s never brought up. The original video I did pointing this issue out has 7k veiws, I believe I did that video in early October, so I can only imagine what it would get for coverage if one of the big Mustang YouTube channels brought this up.

infinitemberstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse - Blue Ember - MT

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

Great work!! I will buy this for both the LH and RH! I hope we can get it before spring hits as someone else mentioned!

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse