• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Paint issues...

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Foursquare for UAW, here.

Mljh85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I have faded spot on black roof, driver quarter panel I have hair/cloth under factory paint like when you paint something and debris lands on it and you paint over it.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I was just about to post this video.

Gives a good reference as to what to look for on delivery.

I have issues on the rear quarters, where they meet the rear facia. One issue was already fixed on Tuesday. I washed it yesterday, and took the look around I should have at the dealer. When we are there, it's hard to spend an hour nit picking but..

Found a nice 1 inch paint chip on the inside edge of the pass door. It's down to the primer. I am sure that happened on the train or truck. Touch up paint for that. Had a nice two inch tall paint scuff on the driver door, towards the edge, below the handle. It was covered by light dust at delivery.

Driver side roof channel, body sealer (says the service manager). found it's way out and was painted over. I say it is welding slag from panel assembly. If it doesn't pop, I'll be ok with it, but it's shitty none the less. The dealer is aware of all this.

I am honestly afraid to keep looking ..

Rio Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
The cars ARE PAINTED by the robots everyone wants to take the jobs.
A.I. vision systems inspect.
And which robots program and maintain the paint robots and vision inspection system. Which robots run final inspection on the assembled vehicle?

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
The things seen in the video are unacceptable. I would say the final inspection line is failing.

dfwford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang GT Premium
And which robots program and maintain the paint robots and vision inspection system. Which robots run final inspection on the assembled vehicle?
1. Software/Controls Engineers program/maintain the robots.

2. Dealership personnel perform final inspections. In theory, a car shouldn't be delivered if they find flaws that don't align with factory spec. They should inform you and work to correct it. But of course, we know how that goes. This is indeed a failure on Ford management's part for not holding their dealers accountable.

erocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT Premium, '09 Lexus IS250 AWD
Why does nobody bitch when the CEO get's a 40% raise for inflating stock with buybacks while the workers get shit? Doesn't sound like much of an incentive to make a quality vehicle.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
You have a job. You do it well or you get fired. If you do it well you get paid better or promoted. In the real world you don’t get raises for consistently doing a bad job. CEO or otherwise.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Every buyer is encouraged to fully inspect their cars upon arrival. Ford will warranty any and repair paint defects created from the factory or damage caused while in transit.

For the customer in the video, if they have concerns about what was discovered, they should return the car to the dealer to discuss before any detail work is accomplished.

Roughly 30% of Ford's workforce is UAW. While the UAW assembles and inspects cars, they don't paint them. I think it's a good assumption the UAW does not control the robots, their programming, the paint or material composition; that's for Engineering, Logistics and QC.

To keep costs as low as possible, Ford will not stop the line for the items shown in the video, unless it's consistently creating the same problem in the same area. Ford could improve the paint and inspection process. What that would cost and what we'd pay I could not tell you.

The areas of interest detailed above involve the UAW, Ford corporate, QC, Engineering, suppliers, etc. It's a collaborative effort amongst the lot of them. Ultimately, someone within Ford has signed off and accepted the current process and defect rate.

Claims are probably a mixed bag for Ford. At one extreme, people ask for sections or panels to be reshot. At the other, the customer accepts and moves on. Most are probably somewhere in the middle. I had two runs on the lip of the hood that weren't worth a respray; you can't see them unless up close and I point them out. The items which occurred during transit, the detailer and I fixed those. YMMV.

Everyones' dealer experience could be different. The salesperson I was working with made it very clear I could claim anything I felt was unacceptable. There is a process the dealer can accomplish to file against Ford and/or the transporters. The salesperson was not hesitant to make a claim as the dealer forwards the claim on to corporate.

Not to make light of these concerns, but they are not unique to Ford. And the price point doesn't always matter. Every manufacturer has their own standard and their own, determined, acceptable rate of failure for any area of interest. Sometimes, the company does a cost/benefit analysis and makes a correction. Other times, the company looks at the totality of what they're doing and does nothing more.

Members and Owners are tired of seeing the same issues occurring. Ford has made recent comments about warranty and QC costs, how they are impacting the bottom line. Maybe paint (and panel fitment) will become a topic of interest. @Ford Motor Company .

Last edited:

A10devil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
None of these are shocking, good ole Ford quality. Those bumper indents right on the crease do hurt though.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
I have faded spot on black roof, driver quarter panel I have hair/cloth under factory paint like when you paint something and debris lands on it and you paint over it.
My Mach 1 has a tiny spot like that. Wife’s Challenger is pretty darn perfect. Even the gaps are excellent.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang
I'm considering paying a detail shop owner to inspect the car before I sign for it. Kind of like having a mechanic inspect a potential used car prior to buying.