• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Front inner wheel well issues

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Doesn’t make any sense. I’ll be calling dealer this morning
IMG_2798.jpeg

IMG_2797.jpeg

IMG_2795.jpeg

IMG_2794.jpeg

IMG_2793.jpeg
888 327 4236 (Vehicle Safety Hotline) is another number you should call. This is how various TSBs get created, from enough people complaining about various issues.

Make sure to clean all that dirt/rocks before doing anything, or else it'll be trapped there forever. For that the liner would need to come off, and that's more involved than fixing the hole...

If the dealer says "it's part of the break-in process", then you can take it to your local mechanic, and for 120 bucks have them do what I did, or OP did.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Regarding the comments on aero, I'm thinking...I've got a gurney flap I can take on and off. If the rocker hole is aiding in track-speed grip, can Ford (or aftermarket) incorporate a removable cover:question:

Dxm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I am pretty certain that there was meant to be some kind of a rubber plug for these holes installed from behind. Somebody forgot to do that. These holes are ugly and absolutely no way that they were created for aerodynamics, or else they would look like they were meant for it. Not something where it's cut out with a piece of metal and plastic sticking out.

If anything, the aerodynamic gain would be akin to removing the radio antenna, or removing the side mirrors and installing the proper aerodynamic wing -- negligible for regular driving. Your car would get a more noticeable speed gain by removing the radio, back seats and upholstery to relieve it of its weight. So it's all b.s. IMHO

hey @Ford Motor Company care to chime in?

Last edited:

NH_woodser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium Convertible
This is picture of my EcoBoost premium convertible, which just arrived at the dealership. I got down on my knees to look at and feel the wheel liner. It seems like the liner extends further into the "engine compartment." The hole wasn't over the rocker panel, but seems to have nothing but air behind it and below behind it. Really can't be sure until it gets up on a lift.
S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues 20240115_104013

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
This is picture of my EcoBoost premium convertible, which just arrived at the dealership. I got down on my knees to look at and feel the wheel liner. It seems like the liner extends further into the "engine compartment." The hole wasn't over the rocker panel, but seems to have nothing but air behind it and below behind it. Really can't be sure until it gets up on a lift.
20240115_104013.jpg
It is the same unfortunately, you can see the brace that comes off the K member in your picture

DukeCLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GTP, PP,AVE,MR. 2018 Mustang GT PP1,
For science I put the tape against the opening, it's had to see because of the flex tape I put there today, I just had to ride a bit on the dry roads.
S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues TNBsfgD

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
It is the same unfortunately, you can see the brace that comes off the K member in your picture
Wow that is pretty disappointing. I was hopeful that Ford did indeed make a change but it appears not...

BYBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT
Dealer is checking for service bulletins. Obviously I don’t expect them to find one, but it’s documented and when/if they come out with one I’ll be in line for the fix.

DannyJ7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Premium, Carbonized Gray
IMG_6117.jpeg
This is what my mechanic came up with. Used a door mat to make the patch. All that was needed to prep the material was to remove the fuzzy surface from it. It is flexible, it is as thick as the liner, and these door mats last forever.

Also, instead of taking off the liner, my mechanic used blind rivets -- they need a special gun. Basically these blind rivets expand from behind, very easy to install.

1705193767919.png

IMG_6118.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 7.49.00 PM.png
Man! With that many rivets, that patch will be on until the end of time. 😂

But seriously, that looks clean and like it will last. 👍

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
All, I have posted this in some other threads regarding the 2024 mustang front inner wheel well openings. For those of you who are not aware, there is an opening directly behind each front wheel where stones, dirt, sand get tossed into. Once it goes in, there is no way for it to get out unless you clean it out. The stones will work their way between the outer plastic rocker molding and the pinch weld where they etch their way through the paint. The opening also exposes the K member as well as the body sheet metal. So as you drive your car, you are damaging a place that under these circumstances becomes VERY vulnerable to rust and corrosion. I have never seen such a poorly designed inner fender well? Ford as well as the dealers need to hear about this so hopefully they can get a new design for this half of the wheel well.

Here is a video put up on youtube. If you have seen it great, but if you have not and are not aware of this, please watch this or go look at your wheel well, you will see what I'm talking about. It is much easier to see on a lift, but I discovered this the first night just laying down looking under the car.

Either this winter or this spring I plan on making something to cover this. I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on this.

Thank you

After reading & watching your video, I contacted Ford directly thru this forum. They finally answered me today. Because I do not have my Mustang - yet, they won't address the problem. Here is their response:
First message:
"Hi there, thanks for sending us a message! My name is Rai and I am a Social Media Agent for Ford. Just to confirm, are you currently experiencing any concerns with your Mustang?
Rai
Ford Social Media Team "
Second message after I told them I don't have my Mustang - yet:
"We appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us. If you ever experience any issues with your Mustang, please feel free to reach out again. Have a great rest of your day!
Rai
Ford Social Media Team "

OP
OP
TUnica

TUnica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang Fastback, 68 Falcon Sports Coupe
After reading & watching your video, I contacted Ford directly thru this forum. They finally answered me today. Because I do not have my Mustang - yet, they won't address the problem. Here is their response:
First message:
"Hi there, thanks for sending us a message! My name is Rai and I am a Social Media Agent for Ford. Just to confirm, are you currently experiencing any concerns with your Mustang?
Rai
Ford Social Media Team "
Second message after I told them I don't have my Mustang - yet:
"We appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us. If you ever experience any issues with your Mustang, please feel free to reach out again. Have a great rest of your day!
Rai
Ford Social Media Team "
Unfortunately it doesn’t get any better than that. Ford seems to have a group dedicated to listening and perhaps documenting but to date there has been no action. I started contacting them in September and the best I got out of corporate Ford to date is “ you will need to bring this up with your dealer”

Reactions: Dxm

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
Unfortunately it doesn’t get any better than that. Ford seems to have a group dedicated to listening and perhaps documenting but to date there has been no action. I started contacting them in September and the best I got out of corporate Ford to date is “ you will need to bring this up with your dealer”
Thanks for the confirmation. I sent your video to my salesman. His response:
"That's crazy. I wonder why they would leave that hole there. Good thing we live in Florida, no salt on the roads."
The dealership has a monthly, "Customer Appreciation" event on a Saturday morning. I think I'll go to this one. I want to check out the service department anyway.

heinvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan, Sprinter, Transit, Saturn
So after many hours of 3D surface modeling with Ford CAD data I have a piece that fits. It's 2.5mm thick. Can 3D print these but not sure how to attach it yet. Guess I could add some tabs and then use little screws but not sure that would hold up to rocks, snow, slush, bits of rubber, etc. -All the best, Hein at DIYvan

S650 Mustang Front inner wheel well issues Impact_fender_liner_plu
Sponsored