• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dealer Add ons

Back2Gas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
What about dealer processing fee? My dealer added an $800 processing fee when I placed my original order

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
This should help. Don't get scammed.

IMG_20230719_182629.jpg
I agree with just about everything on this list, but good luck getting a dealer to eat the doc fees.
That foot note about California is amusing. California is unusual low because there are laws limiting the fee there. Each state allows different amounts, some have no limits. Here in Tennessee itā€™s not uncommon to see doc fees in the $500-$700 range.

OP
OP

Ng1nyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Just checked with the dealer. Seems they donā€™t actually have it and according to them my build date is in August. Looks like I should expect the car to be here in mid September.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Thanks. I added an edit in my original post with an update of how it went.

OP
OP

Ng1nyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This should help. Don't get scammed.

IMG_20230719_182629.jpg
Thanks for this. Can you actually report them if they add any of these fees? Because I noticed they added a $1000 document/licence fee when I ordered the car. These delearships just keep finding a way to screw us! SMH

Stangerous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium, 2020 Mustang GT Premium c
So this is my first time custom ordering a car and Iā€™ve been waiting for my order to say anything but ā€œin productionā€ for the past month and nothing seems to change. However, I checked m dealerā€™s website and they seem to have it ā€œin stockā€. Reading in the description they say thereā€™s gonna be added packages like Paint protection, tint, etc .. basically totaling $4k.
Is this a normal thing? Are these optional or compulsory? Are these even worth it in your opinion?
my build is a GT premium+401a+AVE+NPP

EDIT :
Just checked with the dealer. Seems they donā€™t actually have it and according to them my build date is in August. Looks like I should expect the car to be here in mid September. For reference, I placed my order on the first day 3/27. And it was in production week of 6/08.
I specifically told my salesman NOT to have their ā€œpaint protectionā€ applied to my car. They got me with that worthless charge on my 2018 GT. What they use is cheap trash and a waste of time and money. Iā€™ll happily spend the $1500 to have it done correctly.

_JĀ¢_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Fusion
Thanks for this. Can you actually report them if they add any of these fees? Because I noticed they added a $1000 document/licence fee when I ordered the car. These delearships just keep finding a way to screw us! SMH
You can if they don't want to remove them or didn't tell you/try to force you to pay it after a agreed upon price/negotiation. Although sometimes the Dealers have certain wording to protect them. Either way reporting them to the FTC or directly to Ford is recommended. I recommend you research your laws/fees for the document fee as it varies throughout the states. Once you know the amount, don't pay over it. The only true fees you should be paying are, registration/title fee, state tax, & license fee.

unfairslide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium
The ever shady Nitrogen tire fill as well for $200.
This is my favorite scam. "Lemme fill your tires with something that is already in 78% of the atmosphere for an extra $200" šŸ˜‚

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang GT
What about dealer processing fee? My dealer added an $800 processing fee when I placed my original order
Are they including license and registration in that $1k?

For a reference, y deal includes about $400 is state and local fees. In my area most dealerships add on $500-700 for their paperwork fee. It seems stupid high but there are no laws regulating fees in my state.

Anyway, if they are lumping it all together that could explain the $1k. You can always ask them the itemize the charges.

marcekb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, 2024 GT Premium ordered
I tell them to add nothing to the car. No plate frame, no stickers, no PPF, no warranties, no nothing. Don't remove the stickers/papers inside. Etc. Once, a different dealer added paint protection and ding warranty to a new car. Came up in financing after we'd agreed on price. I told them to remove it and they said they'd already done it to all cars on the lot. But I wouldn't relent. They ended up lowering the price by $50 and adding a bumper-to-bumper manufacturer extended warranty in the new lower price.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
It is good practice to confirm with the dealer you will not be accepting any add-ons, other than those already agreed to in writing.

It's unfortunate, but some dealers either automatically do things to the car as part of a standard practice or sneak things in and do not tell the client until signing.

Profit margins on add-ons are huge. Brake-light packages (brake light flashes multiple times), nitrogen in the tires, PPF, tint, ceramic, extended warranties, interior fabric protection. Dealers will use the cheapest products and lowest-paid sources to install.

Because I noticed they added a $1000 document/licence fee when I ordered the car.
Doc fees are their processing fees and every dealer, every zip code can be different. I doubt these can be negotiated down, but you can always ask. Hot car market, dealer profit, personnel overhead, inflation, etc. are some of the contributing factors.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ng1nyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are they including license and registration in that $1k?

For a reference, y deal includes about $400 is state and local fees. In my area most dealerships add on $500-700 for their paperwork fee. It seems stupid high but there are no laws regulating fees in my state.

Anyway, if they are lumping it all together that could explain the $1k. You can always ask them the itemize the charges.
Iā€™ll go through it before I finalise the car purchase.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
This is my favorite scam. "Lemme fill your tires with something that is already in 78% of the atmosphere for an extra $200" šŸ˜‚
My new dealer tried to add this for $99 when I ordered my car. A couple weeks ago. They took it off no problem, but why even make this a thing? And are they really vacuuming down your brand new tires and adding 100% N2? Doubtful. I'm good with the 78% N2 mixture in my tires.

BrianJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, 1965 F100, 2010 F150
Doc fees are their processing fees and every dealer, every zip code can be different. I doubt these can be negotiated down, but you can always ask. Hot car market, dealer profit, personnel overhead, inflation, etc. are some of the contributing factors.
I've never been successful trying to get doc fees off a purchase. My usual play is to ask what their fee is up front. Anything over $500 they can suck it. I'll go somewhere else and I tell them that. Here in Georgia there is no law protecting consumers against these BS fees.

Mastermind46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Chevy Silverado
My new dealer tried to add this for $99 when I ordered my car. A couple weeks ago. They took it off no problem, but why even make this a thing? And are they really vacuuming down your brand new tires and adding 100% N2? Doubtful. I'm good with the 78% N2 mixture in my tires.
WHAT?! You are okay with that dirty O2 and trace other elements getting mixed in?

$180 doc fee and sub $50 temp tag/transport license fee are the cheapest that I have seen. Locally, the fees were $500 to $800.
Sponsored