• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Buyers Remorse on Dark Horse | Car now Scheduled for 22May2023 Built

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 Supercharger, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL

CoBrArOx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Genesis GV80 Prestige
I got the only allocation at my local dealer at MSRP. In Canada - DH 700A, auto, handling package, dh appearance pack.
About $90’000 CDN + tax.
Just feel like a lot for a non Shelby Mustang.
I spent less on my 2017 c7 grand sport. Much less of a ZL1 in 2015.

Still on the fence due to sticker shock but I think that’s the world these days

Was the Mach1 priced too high and now the Dark Horse - priced too high? Essentially a GT with some track ready features.
What options I can come pick it up from you 😆

OLD Texan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Dark Horse is way over priced. Not that much difference in design from S550 and only 20 HP over Mach1. Not enough HP increase to make a difference. The base s650 GT with 486HP is within the margin of error from the Dark Horse.
The s550 GT has more power than is safely usable on the street.
Only reason to consider Dark Horse is for track use. It has suspension, breaks, and coolers needed for track use, but still not the HP.
Did an order form on a Dark Horse just for fun and came out to 81K US. That is laughable for a Ford Mustang.

Not judging anyone for what they spend on a Mustang.

Towerism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 6 speed, 2021 Volvo XC40 R-Design
I disagree. There are more reasons to consider the dark horse.

Dark Horse is way over priced. Not that much difference in design from S550 and only 20 HP over Mach1. Not enough HP increase to make a difference. The base s650 GT with 486HP is within the margin of error from the Dark Horse.
The s550 GT has more power than is safely usable on the street.
Only reason to consider Dark Horse is for track use. It has suspension, breaks, and coolers needed for track use, but still not the HP.
Did an order form on a Dark Horse just for fun and came out to 81K US. That is laughable for a Ford Mustang.

Not judging anyone for what they spend on a Mustang.

OLD Texan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I respect anyone’s opinion and reasoning on the forum. It comes down to personal choice in the end.
What are your additional reasons for considering a Dark Horse at such a high price point?

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
Vehicle(s)
2023 C8 Stingray
In my opinion if you don't need the +2 seats of the DH for that price point the C8 is the car to go for. Better performance, a huge leap in build and material quality, great (optional) features like driving recorder, front camera, heated/cooled sportsseats, HUD, etc.

If going for a Mustang7 I would choose a GT w PP1 and spend the saved $10k on customization/ mods. Aftermarket exhaust, bodyparts, better fitting 20 inch wheels, etc will result in a way more impressive car than a Dark Horse is for the price.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
$90000 CDN converts to $65569 USD. A Canadian buyer is paying 37% more than a US client would for the same product (at today's exchange rate, $1.37 CDN buys $1 USD).

A member from Korea chimed in earlier of pricing, feeling the same pain. Inflation is one factor. The appreciation of the USD, another. For anyone outside the US, it is not a good time to buy a US product.

For auto manufacturers, currency exchange, supply chain and inflationary pressures have influenced them to produce fewer cars in-general, with the focus on upper-end models and higher-priced options.

Last edited:

NightSurgeX2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2024 Dark Horse
When I spec'd out a comparable 2023 ZL1 it came out to around $5,000-7,000 more than the Dark Horse. Granted, with that extra horsepower. But I'm definitely ok getting a BRAND NEW performance line, 2024 for a good chunk less than the Camaro.

The 2022 GT500 is also base price $8,000 more than my 2024 DH with handling, appearance, 700A ($68k vs $76k) and that's before adding the handling and technology package for another $4k, so $12k difference before taxes and fees seems reasonable to me.

One huge factor for me is my personal driving preference, the 6 speed manual. If gt500 offered one, then I'd definitely find the extra cash to make the jump.

seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT
Really makes me wonder how there’s so much demand when the median household is making 70,000 a year.
Half the 125 million households make more than 70 and about 35% make over 100k. That is a lot of people that can afford the car and therefore drive demand. Not to mention the millions of households in the sub 70k range who save well or have money for whatever reason. Whether or not the car is worth it is another story. Just pointing out we have millions of people who would be able to swing the price.
S650 Mustang Buyers Remorse on Dark Horse | Car now Scheduled for 22May2023 Built Screenshot_20230327_053422_Chrome

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
In my area, for DDs, it's limited supply. Local dealers I can drive by every few days, their lots have much less inventory than before.

I went to my Toyota dealership last week. New cars in inventory: 1. Seriously. The salesman explained they are still taking orders, with waits.

This dealer focuses now more on used car sales than anything else. Quality of used cars? Scratches, dents, cracked windshields, all with "Live Market Pricing."

YMMV.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/10/new-cars-selling-for-the-biggest-premiums-above-sticker-price.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/25/why...rn-to-normal-for-the-used-vehicle-market.html

Underway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gt Premium PP1
I put my deposit down on January 3rd and this past Friday I met with the ordering manager to finalize specs for my Dark Horse. Blue Ember. 700a, handling pack, appearance pack, automatic 10 speed. Total was 70,500 US. Very happy to find one at MSRP.

Towerism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 6 speed, 2021 Volvo XC40 R-Design
For me, it’s the tremec transmission. I really like the ratios on this one. The fact that it’s a six speed with only one overdrive gear makes it extremely fun to drive not only when merging onto the highway but also in lower speed areas like neighborhoods.

I used to own a Mach 1 but I eventually sold it because I didn’t like the old interior after a while.

I found myself really missing the transmission though. So when the Dark Horse was announced I knew I had to get it.

A similarly optioned 23 Mach costs about the same as the Dark Horse spec that I am ordering (remember that a dark horse 700A spec basically already includes what would have been the elite package on the Mach plus navigation).

I’m very fortunate that I’m in a spot where I can afford it easily even with a modest markup of $7K.

So it’s a no brainer for me. The updated interior and exterior are very attractive to me plus I already know I love the transmission. The extra prestige that the car comes with like 5.0 NA 100hp/litre is just icing on the cake.

I respect anyone’s opinion and reasoning on the forum. It comes down to personal choice in the end.
What are your additional reasons for considering a Dark Horse at such a high price point?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think it's a personal thing. If you have lots of extra money and really want a new car, then why not? Especially if you love Fords and dislike the competitors for various reasons. At the price of the DH and what I currently understand about the performance specs I've decided it's not for me. Especially with the likelihood that we are on the cusp of a big economic downturn.

But the coming malaise might be a reason to buy now for some people. It's all about choice. I spent more than I wanted to (and arguably more than I should have) on a 2016 GT350 back in November of 2015. I sold the car just because I wanted variety - and really selling was the mistake, not buying.

I'm sure the car will be fun to drive and you will enjoy it. Due to its rarity it probably won't cost you too much to own (other than consumables) either.

OP
OP

kkcoolstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
When I spec'd out a comparable 2023 ZL1 it came out to around $5,000-7,000 more than the Dark Horse. Granted, with that extra horsepower. But I'm definitely ok getting a BRAND NEW performance line, 2024 for a good chunk less than the Camaro.

The 2022 GT500 is also base price $8,000 more than my 2024 DH with handling, appearance, 700A ($68k vs $76k) and that's before adding the handling and technology package for another $4k, so $12k difference before taxes and fees seems reasonable to me.

One huge factor for me is my personal driving preference, the 6 speed manual. If gt500 offered one, then I'd definitely find the extra cash to make the jump.
When your getting a top dog like GT500 the extra 12K seems like a bargain when your already spending 70-80K on a DH/regular mustang

I guess the manual is the main selling point for those that want manual. But manual transmission should mean higher price - it usually means lower price.

OP
OP

kkcoolstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
In my opinion if you don't need the +2 seats of the DH for that price point the C8 is the car to go for. Better performance, a huge leap in build and material quality, great (optional) features like driving recorder, front camera, heated/cooled sportsseats, HUD, etc.

If going for a Mustang7 I would choose a GT w PP1 and spend the saved $10k on customization/ mods. Aftermarket exhaust, bodyparts, better fitting 20 inch wheels, etc will result in a way more impressive car than a Dark Horse is for the price.
I’m on wait list for a C8, won’t get it until next year. Plan is to get the DH and then trade in for a c8.

Hoping DH doesn’t lose too much value as it seems to be priced high for what it is.
Sponsored