• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts on the Dark Horse Name

TheCur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wild Cherry Tintcoat ZL1 M6
Except that it's a budget car that offers performance way above its price tag – at least in theory. That’s why DH is almost perfect in any given way. It has a perfect connection to horses, it punches way above its way class and is the underdog compared to much more expensive performance cars. If you compare a Ferrari and a Ford who would you expect to win?

--> That’s why it’s called Dark Horse.
Starting around $60k.... is it really a budget car?

S650 Mustang Thoughts on the Dark Horse Name llIYgbi[1]
Sponsored

seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT
I think this is a really bad take. Selling a car needs a catchy name. It doesn't take much car sales knowledge to see that one of Dodges key reason that their market share grew in the last few years with absolutely not technical advances is their marketing including the model names. Hellcat, Demon, Redeye, it's easy to remember and easily tells it has power.

In comparison try to get someone exited about Chevy models with ZL1, ZL1 1LE, Z/28, Z51, Z06, Z06 with Z07, etc. Or just the fact that they have a 1LT and a LT1 Camaro model at the same time, wtf.

A name matters. The Challenger Hellcat is easily a worse car than a GT500 or ZL1, it's slower, handles horribly worse, but yet it's selling extremly well.

Ford has a known name with Shelby for higher models, but it's safe to say that their "Performance Package 2" was a horrible attempt to sell a track focused GT package, and the Mach 1 didn't really hit the spot in terms of hype and was badly timed when you sell a BEV SUV named Mustang Mach-E.

So the Dark Horse name with the Hellcat-inspired emblem is a great move. From what I saw in the last years only a handful of Mustang-diehard-fans were really excited for a Bullitt or Mach 1 and willed to pay so much more for these cars, but now tons of people are saying they really want the DH and not just the GT for Gen 7.
Personally, I like the name and I think if it lives up to the promises Ford is making, the enthusiasts will buy it even if they prefer it be called a Mach 1 or Boss. I'll put an early order in for one. If the performance isn't good enough for me to get over the iPad video game interior, well then I will sell it. I'm sure I won't lose much if any on the deal.

Reactions: Ace

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
Starting around $60k.... is it really a budget car?

llIYgbi[1].gif
You're right. Ford will charge way too much for a slightly upgraded GT - but so does everyone else these days.

'Budget' refers here to the 500+ club. What does the next 500+ hp coupe cost? I don't know the exact answer but I do know that it's way more. Therefore, if you're on a budget of around 60k you can either buy a 5 liter Dark Horse with 500+hp or a three liter engine from almost any German brand...

TheCur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wild Cherry Tintcoat ZL1 M6
You're right. Ford will charge way too much for a slightly upgraded GT - but so does everyone else these days.

'Budget' refers here to the 500+ club. What does the next 500+ hp coupe cost? I don't know the exact answer but I do know that it's way more. Therefore, if you're on a budget of around 60k you can either buy a 5 liter Dark Horse with 500+hp or a three liter engine from almost any German brand...
Fair point I'd not considered. Cheers.

Still think the name is a tad corny tho :) (badge is neat, though)

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The name is stupid. Period. Why not a "Night" or "Night Stallion" edition?

DARK HORSE....... :crackup: SMFH. Some Zoomer/millennials idea on that name. Guaranteed.

seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT
The name is stupid. Period. Why not a "Night" or "Night Stallion" edition?

DARK HORSE....... :crackup: SMFH. Some Zoomer/millennials idea on that name. Guaranteed.
So I was going to contest that theory, because my initial reaction was zoomers/millenials probably wouldn't have ever heard the phrase before. Being that I dont keep up with pop culture I googled Dark Horse and see a one Katy Perry had a song called Dark Horse. My protestation over your comment is withdrawn.

Although, I still like the name. I would have preferred it with zero name, zero badge, and it only come in black. Like the Black Album but a car. That would be hard to market, but would be cool. And i hate black cars for cleaning purposes so it would save me money.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
TL;DR - Dark horse is not a bad name.

I know that most of us here are...more experienced in life and I include myself in that. But we also need to realize that Mustangs need to appeal to a large range of buyers.

At this point, millennials are buying their second or maybe even their third Mustang, and just starting to enter the best buying years in terms of buying power.

Gen Z is getting to the point where they are just getting out of college and might be looking at their first new car. While not all of them are looking at a V8, some of them will be. Dark Horse is a new name that will help inspire new buyers in the future.

The Shelby name is classic, it's filled with history...and to many of the people who might be buying these cars...means absolutely nothing to them. Carol Shelby is a person who was born just under a century ago and has little relevance to them today. Eleanor and the movie associated with it was released before they were born. Like Tom Holland said..."do you remember this really old movie Alien?" and it made you feel old? (I did) Well, Gone in 60 seconds (the original) was released 5 years before that. While the Mach 1 name was used in 2004, most people think of the original...which is over 50 years old at this point. Finally, Bullitt is even older if you look at the movie that it was made famous in.

Mustang can't keep going back to the nostalgia barrel. They have to get new buyers to come in, and let's face it, when you think of the mustangs millennials remember when they were growing up, they will be remembering the fox body mustangs, which were not the best examples of the mustang heritage. In fact, it can be argued only the proposed "Probe" mustang and the Mustang II were worse. They have to bring in new buyers and one way to do that is with a new name that speaks to that generation.

The past 20 years have been a revolution in automotive power. Just 25 years ago, 200 HP was huge and 300 was a monster. Today, we are looking at base level cars with more horsepower that a V8 performance car did 25 years ago. They finally have a Mustang that's more than a straight line car, and no longer has problems going around a corner.

By looking to the future, and my developing new products that are unhindered by past associations, they are ensuring that the mustang continues into the future.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
Except that it's a budget car that offers performance way above its price tag – at least in theory. That’s why DH is almost perfect in any given way. It has a perfect connection to horses, it punches way above its way class and is the underdog compared to much more expensive performance cars. If you compare a Ferrari and a Ford who would you expect to win?

--> That’s why it’s called Dark Horse.
One way of looking at it, but the name should not invoke that. The name should put sweaty fear in other drivers of other cars (symbolically, of course) like HellCat or Bullitt does or even Mach !. How about Night Mare. You have Dark and Horse, but more intense and 'in your face'.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
TL;DR - Dark horse is not a bad name.

I know that most of us here are...more experienced in life and I include myself in that. But we also need to realize that Mustangs need to appeal to a large range of buyers.

At this point, millennials are buying their second or maybe even their third Mustang, and just starting to enter the best buying years in terms of buying power.

Gen Z is getting to the point where they are just getting out of college and might be looking at their first new car. While not all of them are looking at a V8, some of them will be. Dark Horse is a new name that will help inspire new buyers in the future.

The Shelby name is classic, it's filled with history...and to many of the people who might be buying these cars...means absolutely nothing to them. Carol Shelby is a person who was born just under a century ago and has little relevance to them today. Eleanor and the movie associated with it was released before they were born. Like Tom Holland said..."do you remember this really old movie Alien?" and it made you feel old? (I did) Well, Gone in 60 seconds (the original) was released 5 years before that. While the Mach 1 name was used in 2004, most people think of the original...which is over 50 years old at this point. Finally, Bullitt is even older if you look at the movie that it was made famous in.

Mustang can't keep going back to the nostalgia barrel. They have to get new buyers to come in, and let's face it, when you think of the mustangs millennials remember when they were growing up, they will be remembering the fox body mustangs, which were not the best examples of the mustang heritage. In fact, it can be argued only the proposed "Probe" mustang and the Mustang II were worse. They have to bring in new buyers and one way to do that is with a new name that speaks to that generation.

The past 20 years have been a revolution in automotive power. Just 25 years ago, 200 HP was huge and 300 was a monster. Today, we are looking at base level cars with more horsepower that a V8 performance car did 25 years ago. They finally have a Mustang that's more than a straight line car, and no longer has problems going around a corner.

By looking to the future, and my developing new products that are unhindered by past associations, they are ensuring that the mustang continues into the future.
I know anecdotal evidence is worth jack, but there was never any confusion or explaining necessary if I said I drive a Shelby. Just general cluelessness about if it was a 350 or 500. They’ve had a Shelby for how many gens now? And the last two were unanimous hits? Crazy to throw that away imo.

Prefer the geriatric connotation to the Zoomer game tag personally.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I know anecdotal evidence is worth jack, but there was never any confusion or explaining necessary if I said I drive a Shelby. Just general cluelessness about if it was a 350 or 500. They’ve had a Shelby for how many gens now? And the last two were unanimous hits? Crazy to throw that away imo.

I agree. As a German one grows up with names like C63 AMG, M3, RS6 and such. Only company that did names was/is Volkswagen and Porsche nowadays. I don't see any necessity to give cars names not to mention calling them females...:crazy:
But back to the topic: Everyone knows that a AMG C43 and a C63 are the most performant versions of the C-class. I would urge Ford to keep using the Shelby name and to keep both, GT350 and GT500 alive. Great names, easy to remember and easy to distinquish.
However, I think Ford is cutting corners again and doesn't see enough profit in a Shelby GT350. The margin is bigger if you can take a regular GT, apply some 'AMG-line' options and give it a slight HP increase. Price it around a GT350 and voila - it's a Dark Horse...

There would be enough room for a 600HP GT350 but without electrification or spending on a new engine I don't see them reaching that goal. There is the 7.3L Godzilla but then again there are emissions... $80K?

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i

I never said there was cluelessness. I said that the shelby name meant nothing to them. There is no history, no connection. They did not grow up watching him racing. They did not see him do the stuff that made him famous. It's just another corporate name to the newer generations.

Shelby resonates with older generations partly because of the older mustangs, partly because of the reputation or Carol Shelby. But it does not have that same meaning to the new generation. It's just another name. Bringing in a new name has risks, but if it's a dud, they can leave it. If it's a success, they can bring it back later to get another burst of that nostalgia factor.
Sponsored