• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

new to the forum with questions on dark horse engine

Azure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Hi, I am considering a dark horse but had a question:

I know the dark horse has different connecting rods, crank etc but is it interchangable with the regular GT? Just curious because there are so many more GT's, and for long term ownership wondering if parts would be available. Does the engine have different part numbers?
Sponsored

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
i dont know the answer for 100% sure, but both the GT and DH have the same displacement, compression ratio, and such, so more likely than not they are compatible

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Yes, although if youā€™ve gone to the trouble of cracking her open chances are youā€™ve already decided on the parts needed.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer

I know the dark horse has different connecting rods, crank etc but is it interchangable with the regular GT? Just curious because there are so many more GT's, and for long term ownership wondering if parts would be available. Does the engine have different part numbers?

Youll be good - buy the Dark Horse and dont look back - Coyotes are solid motors unless you boost the everliving f&&& out of them

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse

I have seen someone talking about the GT350 pushrods are used instead of regular ones! I am sure there was more on the subject regarding the DH engine somewhere in other articles that you could find along with researches! I am happy with my DH and itā€™s used only for spring through fall!

JAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have seen someone talking about the GT350 pushrods are used instead of regular ones! I am sure there was more on the subject regarding the DH engine somewhere in other articles that you could find along with researches! I am happy with my DH and itā€™s used only for spring through fall!
From Ford media site:
"Powered by Ford Performance know-how, the Coyote engine was upgraded even further to produce 500 horsepower, delivering its most powerful naturally aspirated V8 yet. These upgrades include a uniquely balanced crankshaft and forged piston connecting rods ā€“ the latter first introduced in the Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 ā€“ to handle higher cylinder pressures and piston speeds. Mustang Dark Horse also sports strengthened camshafts for track-durability needs, including extended operation closer to its 7,500-rpm redline."

LCDRChemEng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BE DH Premium A10

Surely you realize the inherent contradiction in your question. Since the DH features stronger internals, it should be your preference if you are concerned about long term durability. Going for a GT because of more readily available parts seems kind of defeating the purpose.

Besides, even if you cannot get exactly the same DH part from Ford, I'm sure you can get something aftermarket as good or better (e.g. Mahle connecting rods).

Murfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2021 VW GTI
Coyote's are overhead cam engines, they don't have pushrods. I think you mean connecting rods?

REV745DH24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
Coyote's are overhead cam engines, they don't have pushrods. I think you mean connecting rods?
You are correct and thanks for correcting me on it as I was trying to find the previous article regarding the GT350 part being used in DH engine but couldnā€™t find it! Thanks!

JohnO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES F Sport, 85 Mustang GT modified
Being that the standard GT is rated at 486 hp with the active exhaust and is approved by Ford to handle the Whipple supercharger with a warranty, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're planning to go with over 1000 hp or more. Many people driving older modded 5.0s without engine problems.

OP
OP

Azure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Surely you realize the inherent contradiction in your question. Since the DH features stronger internals, it should be your preference if you are concerned about long term durability. Going for a GT because of more readily available parts seems kind of defeating the purpose.

Besides, even if you cannot get exactly the same DH part from Ford, I'm sure you can get something aftermarket as good or better (e.g. Mahle connecting rods).
yeah that makes sense especially if they are stronger.

OP
OP

Azure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Thanks everyone for the advice definitely want the DH now:)

Reactions: Zig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse Race Red Premium Performance Recar
Can you physically tell he difference between the two engines? Part number, or some easter egg? You'd never know if they put the wrong engine in otherwise lol.

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2024 GT
Gotta love the marketing folksā€¦
Sponsored