• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Thoughts on the Dark Horse Name

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
What do we all think about Ford's decision to call the S650 Boss 302 a "Dark Horse" instead? Do we think it's silly and/or unnecessary? Yes? I agree. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
Sponsored

OP
OP
because_murica

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
*Ford*

Hey guys, check out this cool new idea we have for a hi-po track mustang. It's cool, it's hip, it's edgy, it's emo, it's called Dark Horse. Y'all like new edgy shit right?

*Also Ford*

Hey everyone, check out this dope electric crossover complete with historical Mustang design cues. Y'all like retro shit and legendary nameplates right?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Personally, I love the Mustang's heritage.........Mach 1s, Boss 302s (and 429 & 351).....California Specials....I love how Ford have, up to now, brought these models back throughout the last 49 years.

So, I'd rather the Dark Horse was a Boss 307, or another Mach 1. I'd have left Dark Horse in the stable until the 8th Gen/Full EV.

But, if the car's good, it won't matter what its called :)

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang Dark Horse
I thought it was better suited for the black appearance package at first. It has grown on me now, as well as the badge.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
I'd have left Dark Horse in the stable until the 8th Gen/Full EV.
I think the fact they didn't wait for the EV shows Ford's commitment to appeal to younger buyers. Customers with the most love for the Mustang traditions are getting old and are most resistant to EVs. Ford probably views the S650 as the transition generation. I doubt there will be any Shelby models. Maybe they will use Cobra again for the top of the line or another new name.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
*Ford*

Hey guys, check out this cool new idea we have for a hi-po track mustang. It's cool, it's hip, it's edgy, it's emo, it's called Dark Horse. Y'all like new edgy shit right?

*Also Ford*

Hey everyone, check out this dope electric crossover complete with historical Mustang design cues. Y'all like retro shit and legendary nameplates right?
I can’t get the stale Morbius memes out of my head when I hear this name

it’s horsin time

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Personally, I love the Mustang's heritage.........Mach 1s, Boss 302s (and 429 & 351).....California Specials....I love how Ford have, up to now, brought these models back throughout the last 49 years.

So, I'd rather the Dark Horse was a Boss 307, or another Mach 1. I'd have left Dark Horse in the stable until the 8th Gen/Full EV.

But, if the car's good, it won't matter what its called :)
It’s all about the phonetics and the way they roll of the tongue… “BOSS,” “MACH,” “BULLITT”… even Shelby or the alphanumeric “GT###” says “this guy f*cks.”

I wish they went with some testosterone-fueled Chad nameplate. Or hell, go full meme. I’d buy a Mustang Glock 1. Or a Mustang Big Boss. Or a Mustang Super Steed if we want to stay young-boy edgy. Better than the D’Horse.

Edit: Buster. GT-S/R. Super GT.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I don't like the Dork Horse as a name. Its trying way to hard, and doesn't do anything to improve the design of the interior.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Honestly, I think Dark Horse is a birillisnt, fantastic name.

it fits Mustang and it’s s long held term meaning an unexpected victor.

no one may bet on the a mustang to come out snd whoop some tail in this era, but here it is.

perhaps the name would have worked better on a Cobra Jet race carinstead of a road car, but it’s still brilliant, though I’d prefer a Boss (which hopefully still comes out).

so the name itself is perfect. They couldn’t have chosen a better crowdsourced entry.

the actual aesthetics of the production car is another matter and quite disappointing.

hopefully the performance metrics live up to the glorious promise of the name.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion

Redbaron289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang GT
Dark Horse should have been the name of the black accent package. Nite Pony is a horrible name. They need to bring back King Cobra, that’s one of the coolest names ever.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
To me the ONLY way that "Dark Horse" would not be lame would be if it was literally the LAST v8 Mustang that Ford was making and they are throwing EVERYTHING they have at it as a last Hurrah. Like, if it was they took the GT500, punched it out to a 5.4L, upped the boost, CF wheels with 315 on all 4 corners, and all the aluminum panels they can make at the time to cut weight, and handles better than any other v8 Mustang ever made.

To me THAT would justify the name.
Sponsored