• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Best tires/wheel setup for Forced Induction

OP
OP

allenquanobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
You haven't really articulated what you want out of a set tires. Are you planning to drag race, road course track, autocross, commute, road trip....how do you plan to use the extra power and why did you want it?

For most purposes, more power demands a wider, sticky compound tire. There is no getting around that wider and sticky will also wear faster and tend to wander on the highway.
Mostly spirited driving, highway pulls for fun every now and then; maybe roll racing. Itā€™s a daily driver, so I donā€™t see the need for drag radials as most of my driving is near a city and on weekends I can have fun driving on canyon roads and such and on highways
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
The car is to be a FI DD. What weather and road conditions are expected throughout the year? Lowest temps to be seen? How often are rain, dense moisture like fog and other damp conditions expected?

Last edited:

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Mostly spirited driving, highway pulls for fun every now and then; maybe roll racing. Itā€™s a daily driver, so I donā€™t see the need for drag radials as most of my driving is near a city and on weekends I can have fun driving on canyon roads and such and on highways
With all due respect, if you "don't see the need" to move away from narrow factory all-season tires after strapping a SC that pushes a GT to over 810+ HP and 640+ lb ft of torque, you're going to end up destroying your car. All I ask is that you post pics of the aftermath.

If your primary intentions are daily driving and spirited canyon driving, I would argue that you don't need FI.

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
I raced (road racing) a SC 4.6L Roush for 12 years, 7 of them running 315/30-18 Hoosier R7's and then A7's. They'd break traction quite easily till warmed up and even then I had to be careful, the TQ a SC provides is impressive, especially with a race tune. Best advice, know what you have and it's limits or it'll get away from you in a sec.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Drop a Whipple on a S650 and leave the factory tires on there, and you'll be the next guy who gets a video made about him by someone @ Cars & Coffee ... :cwl:

Forced induction and tires that "last long" don't often collide in the same sentence.

While I kinda agree.

You can run stock tires on a Whipple vehicle! You do not need to get drag tires but I would recommend good tires when you can get them to take advantage of the power the Whipple will make,.

Only being stupid and not knowing how to drive would put you in the category of drivers "roadpilot" is describing. And even then, there are some that can't handle a stock GT.

But as some have said you need to decide what you want to do with the car and that will help you with what tires you want to run.

Sticky tires don't last long.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
810 hp and 640 lb ft torque does not get along with all season tires. You need traction. If you aren't putting the power to the ground, all you will accomplish with a SC is breaking traction and spinning out. It's physics, and I never disagree with physics.

HWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
810 hp and 640 lb ft torque does not get along with all season tires. You need traction. If you aren't putting the power to the ground, all you will accomplish with a SC is breaking traction and spinning out. It's physics, and I never disagree with physics.

If the throttle was an on/off switch you would be correct, but it is not.
You can drive a Whipple vehicle without losing traction even with traction control turned off on stock all seasons.

If you think you can't drive a SC without breaking traction all the time then you never had one or don't know how to drive.

BTW with Whipple tunes the traction control is still ON. The only way you are going to get out of control is if you do something stupid on purpose.

Now yes you are not going to use the Whipple to the full effect but it will be drivable and safe with stock tires.

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Even drag radials are gonna spin like a
Bitch, you need to really make some compromises.

a bias ply would be your best friend, like a Hoosier QTP, or Et street R bias.

theyā€™ll offer recovery from spinning, while a radial will just continue to spin once traction breaks.
Sponsored