• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Base Interior Spied Up Close for the First Time.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I personally think the vertical tablet is the worse implementation of using a touch screen in a car.
Precisely the reason a previous gen Ranger and Everest are in my driveway instead of new gen. Drove the new gen and just didn't like having to look away/down towards the floor for that long.

It's still weird to me that EVs have a particular interior style (or lack of style). Everything is becoming more bean shaped on the outside with an inside that looks like a lounge with a center screen.
I'll wager it's because they want you to get used to it. Big square front on the new gen ranger? EV packaging apparently. And if commuter cars of the future all look like something drawn by a 5yo, it absolves them of spending mucho denero on design.

They're essentially saying: 'this suits us to push while telling you it's a good thing for you when actually it's only a good thing for us. But we make it our business to know a lot about how your 'consumer society' brain works so we're on solid ground because you won't be able to help yourself and eventually you won't have another option.' Think of the fun you can have working from the peace and quiet of your mobile lounge on it's very own screen, which might become an actual removable tablet, while waiting for your EV to charge. I'm sure the likes of Microsoft and Apple are all over it.

Also if they're betting on autonomous cars in the next 10 years they'll absolutely be pushing the idea of big screens as a drawcard: 'see your big screen now? Imagine what it'd be like with a 60" TV screen in your autonomous vehicle' ie screens=bait for the phone obsessed (too many of us). Ad-free will require a subscription of course. Maybe it's a car by Samsung made entirely from plastic and 100% recyclable.

Without realizing that they are less user-friendly to operate while driving,
IMHO this hits one issue squarely. A lot of folks don't actually 'drive' anymore, they just 'operate the car (appliance?)'. Driving is seen as a chore, onerous, unfortunate necessity etc. and there's no recognition of driving as a genuine 'skill'. As previously suggested it'd be interesting to have the distraction value independently tested. But...screen is king so who knows, if the road toll increases but we get bigger screens maybe most people will be ok with that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GoodLuckChuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Fusion
Precisely the reason a previous gen Ranger and Everest are in my driveway instead of new gen. Drove the new gen and just didn't like having to look away/down towards the floor for that long.

I'll wager it's because they want you to get used to it. Big square front on the new gen ranger? EV packaging apparently. And if commuter cars of the future all look like something drawn by a 5yo, it absolves them of spending mucho denero on design.

They're essentially saying: 'this suits us to push while telling you it's a good thing for you when actually it's only a good thing for us. But we make it our business to know a lot about how your 'consumer society' brain works so we're on solid ground because you won't be able to help yourself and eventually you won't have another option.' Think of the fun you can have working from the peace and quiet of your mobile lounge on it's very own screen, which might become an actual removable tablet, while waiting for your EV to charge. I'm sure the likes of Microsoft and Apple are all over it.

Also if they're betting on autonomous cars in the next 10 years they'll absolutely be pushing the idea of big screens as a drawcard: 'see your big screen now? Imagine what it'd be like with a 60" TV screen in your autonomous vehicle' ie screens=bait for the phone obsessed (too many of us). Ad-free will require a subscription of course. Maybe it's one from Samsung made entirely of plastic and 100% recyclable.

IMHO this hits one issue squarely. A lot of folks these days they don't actually 'drive', they just 'operate the car (appliance?)'. Driving is seen as a chore, onerous, unfortunate necessity etc. and there's no recognition of driving as a genuine 'skill'. As previously suggested it'd be interesting to have the distraction value independently tested. But...screen is king so who knows, if the road toll increases but we get bigger screens maybe most people will be ok with that.
As bleak as that future sounds, I think you hit the nail on the head.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Vert w/pony package
As long as the touch screens dont go blank after I pop a wheelie and the front wheels hit the asphalt hard , I will be happy.
As long as it doesn't overheat or too many folks are connected to the Bluetooth or your kid doesn't throw a hard object at it, it will keep on ticking.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I do not think so Mike. 301A is Sync to Sync 3. I liken the upgraded screen to the digital dash on the 401A. There may be a 301A but since Sync 4 will be standard on 300A I do not see a entire dash upgrade there. I hope I'm wrong.
I didn’t think about the digital 401A, so you may be right. I wonder if there is a middle tier like with the current car- perhaps the physical size of the cluster or media screen are the same but the resolution or screen area are different. I have seen that on BMWs. Still a lot of unanswered questions. I still want to see those cloth seats.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1; AT; M0960
The premium tacked on screens are shit. These base ones are bad Mexican/seafood diarrhea. Anyone complaining about the S550 interior, you have brought this upon us and yourself. Such obsession with a high res screen-well here we are - screen hell and total loss of anything remotely resembling a unique mustang interior. Bet manual guys will love the air blowing on your hand the whole time too. We had a nice moving map, nicely integrated into the car as well as heated/cooled seats, apple car play etc.

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The premium tacked on screens are shit. These base ones are bad Mexican/seafood diarrhea. Anyone complaining about the S550 interior, you have brought this upon us and yourself. Such obsession with a high res screen-well here we are - screen hell and total loss of anything remotely resembling a unique mustang interior. Bet manual guys will love the air blowing on your hand the whole time too. We had a nice moving map, nicely integrated into the car as well as heated/cooled seats, apple car play etc.
Based on the input on the other comments posted so far, more folks are more interested in what's under the hood than what the cabin interior looks like. As long as one foot is on the gas, the other foot is on the 3rd pedal, and the car has a beautiful paint job, nothing else really matters.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Auto-86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 2017 Fusion Sport
Dodge seems to get it, and this is an EV.,,,,,,,,,,,,

S650 Mustang Base Interior Spied Up Close for the First Time. {filename}

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge seems to get it, and this is an EV.,,,,,,,,,,,,

S650 Mustang Base Interior Spied Up Close for the First Time. {filename}
Great photo. But Dodge decided to use the regular truck body for the REV 1500 (the news came out this morning).

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Auto-86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 2017 Fusion Sport

lcbrownz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

GoodLuckChuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Fusion
I like the use of buttons, always appreciate some tactile control, but this looks even more like an iPad to me. Maybe not glued on like other implementations but looks like an iPad with a bumper case on it.

I do appreciate dodge actually trying to make something more user friendly, but as long as they're using a large vertical screen, it's not something I'd want.

IceGamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW G20 330d xdrive
I'm at a point where I can say that there are no better infotainment controls than BMW's iDrive controller. I don’t dig these vertical screens at all but I also don’t see many improvements in putting buttons around that thing…

A fitting seating position is when your wrist is comfortably resting on top of the wheel without your arm being fully stretched. In that position, assuming that most in here don’t sit in a Mustang like they sit on a chair, it is almost impossible to reach the screen at all… Maybe my arms are short but I would consider them average and I cannot comfortable reach the touchscreen. Therefore, buttons would help to use certain features more easily but at the end of the day I should be able to operate the system while my arm is resting on the armrest. The iDrive controller is hands down the best way to interact with the screens but unfortunately BMW is getting rid of them in cheaper cars such as 1 and 2 series and maybe the “Neue Klasse” as well (3 series successor)…

I occasionally use the touchscreens in my car when I use Android Auto instead of BMWs system but only when I’m standing or in light traffic. There is literally no way to safely operate a touchscreen while driving.

OP
OP
MustangMac67

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250