• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Base Interior Spied Up Close for the First Time.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I don't want to take my eyes off the road just to find a little icon on the screen to switch between nav and radio.
You have to do this on the current Sync 3 screen. It becomes second nature though so it’s not really an issue.
Sponsored

GoodLuckChuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Fusion
Like I said before, I need to see what the content of the screens looks like before I can make any final judgement, but I tend to agree that the two separate screens looks like something "kludged" together rather than an integrated design. What really bugs me are the the center vents and the way they sort of stick out and say "look at me!" They sort of remind me of what you might see in a 1970's scifi movie spaceship.
I think the intention was to give an anchoring point for changing climate controls. The climate settings are always at the bottom of the screen and the "lip" above the center vents give an area for you hand to find direction without needing to focus on the screen. Other brands do something similar although not necessarily with the vent, and not always effective because of the lack of static touch controls.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I think the intention was to give an anchoring point for changing climate controls. The climate settings are always at the bottom of the screen and the "lip" above the center vents give an area for you hand to find direction without needing to focus on the screen. Other brands do something similar although not necessarily with the vent, and not always effective because of the lack of static touch controls.
Possibly. My Volvo has touch screen climate controls and I have to say that I really dislike them. I know that they are a lot cheaper than physical buttons, so I suspect that higher end cars will move back to physical buttons once the novelty of touch screens wears off.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Auto-86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 2017 Fusion Sport
You have to do this on the current Sync 3 screen. It becomes second nature though so it’s not really an issue.
No matter what the trim level, basic heater and radio controls should be buttons and knobs that you do not have to look away from the road to use, period (either steering wheel or dash). If you want to duplicate those functions on some screen (for maybe more advanced functioning of those items), that's fine.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
No matter what the trim level, basic heater and radio controls should be buttons and knobs that you do not have to look away from the road to use, period (either steering wheel or dash). If you want to duplicate those functions on some screen (for maybe more advanced functioning of those items), that's fine.
Totally agree!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Possibly. My Volvo has touch screen climate controls and I have to say that I really dislike them. I know that they are a lot cheaper than physical buttons, so I suspect that higher end cars will move back to physical buttons once the novelty of touch screens wears off.
Same here. My wife’s 21’ Volvo XC60 has the tablet screen. What a pain in the butt to do the simplest things.

GoodLuckChuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Fusion
True, and this is something that has been beat to death in the last decade from a portion of consumers. So much so that certain companies are experimenting with putting gear selections on the touch screen, but right now, the general buyer is enamored with touch screens and feel that this is what constitutes quality, regardless of usability. I'm looking forward to the day the industry understands that driving benefits from tactile controls. I guess we just haven't reached that tipping point yet, but as cars with these features become more accessible to people, we'll see what the reaction is.

GoodLuckChuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Fusion
Same here. My wife’s 21’ Volvo XC60 has the tablet screen. What a pain in the butt to do the simplest things.
I personally think the vertical tablet is the worse implementation of using a touch screen in a car. The reason vertical controls worked in previous generations of cars is because you can find it by feel. Vertical displays require you to look down and track your selection. Horizontal at least allows for better selection with less eye tracking, still not as safe/user friendly as some physical controls.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I agree too, but the industry has other ideas. Don’t see it going back anytime soon so it appears we don’t have much of a choice.
As always, the market will decide this. They first showed up in higher end cars because it was a novelty and new technology that required an R&D investment. But now that the R&D has been paid for, my prediction is that higher end cars will revert back to physical buttons (because the customers will demand it and be willing to pay for it) and lower end models will get stuck with the lower cost touch screen controls.

Tonystark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang 4-Turbo w/Pony package
These screens are just a Ford 'set up' to give ICE stalwarts (like me) the ability to 'ease' into the upcoming s750 EV.

GoodLuckChuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Fusion
These screens are just a Ford 'set up' to give ICE stalwarts (like me) the ability to 'ease' into the upcoming s750 EV.
It's still weird to me that EVs have a particular interior style (or lack of style). Everything is becoming more bean shaped on the outside with an inside that looks like a lounge with a center screen.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
but the industry has other ideas.
this is where Ford engineers need to proudly proclaim their contribution to the features, and then we go beat some sense into them - Clockwork Orange style. Such that they puke uncontrollably every time they reach for a touchscreen.

Actually the NHTSA and other regulatory agency should be doing measurement and distraction tests comparing buttons with touch-screen. That way they can whip out "the Science(tm)" and outlaw touchscreens as the sole means of doing trivial but necessary operations. Or if you rather, stipulate that the screen goes passive over 10mph so that all touch is disabled. VW has a partial lockout on some features like that.
Sponsored