• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

I got to drive a S650 for the first time recently.. I'm underwhelmed

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
CF wheels are only for the cream of the crop mustangs. The DH maybe "special" in that its one of the first S650, but when the S650 is production ends, at the end of the day its the base engine model, not special as the other real "special cars". Not sure if you own a DH, I'm not trying to knock it. But history of the mustang has always been the higher end getting the goodies.

No way Ford is going to put CF wheels or brakes on the lowest tier. There's actually no way for them to move up had they put CF wheels. Like what option can they do from that point? Magnesium wheels that are center lock?

Also the 2016 times are so old and tire tech from those days to today has improved immensely. Like compare Viper ACR's Kumho tires, at that time they were incredible, but compared to the Cup2 R of yester year and now the new top dog, Trofeo RS, the tires from 2016 arent even close.

Turn in track out https://www.youtube.com/@TurninTrackOut had videos comparing a GT2 RS vs a Viper ACR and the Cup 2 R is anywhere from .9-1.4 seconds faster than the cup 2 R. He took down the video but I've asked him to repost it. A lot of good technical data, done on the same day, same tire comparison, all driven by him. Dude is a faster driver than Randy Pobst. Guy ran a 1:27.50 at Laguna Seca in a 765 LT on stock tires with a passenger. Thats got to be a production record.
Oh, yes I own a DH but I didn't order one with the carbon fiber wheels. I figure I would just get a lightweight forged monoblock at half the cost.

I never really reply when people talk about tires and this older car could have been even faster with the new technology of today. The problem is tire technology is not the only thing changing. You also have emissions & safety requirements changing too. The homologation of the GT350R for emissions and safety in 2016 is totally different from a DH in 2024. You can't just pick and choose attributes from different eras. Car production doesn't work like that. Current track results for the DH show it more than deserves carbon fiber wheels. Is it special or top tier? We will know for sure once we see some times for a carbon fiber setup.
Sponsored

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They wasted a lot of money on the Mach-E and F150 Lightning so I hope they learned their lesson and put some money into a bigger bore Coyote and new chassis that also sheds some weight to give us something more exciting to look forward to.
There are numerous articles and Ford execs citing the reason the V8 lives is the success of the Mach E with offsetting carbon credits. So what does "success" really mean? You can also just purchase carbon credits. But hey, I am not an expert on this matter at all but rarely are things as simple you are stating.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
which is a slightly gussied up gen 6 which is a gussied up gen 5.

a new platform costs money? No kidding. It’s called an investment. Ford has saved more than its share over the last twenty freaking years of mustang. People aren’t as excited for another little change to a very old car. They want something special. The sales numbers have been hugely depressing for s650. Because everyone who has an s550 already has one. No need to buy the new car. It performs about the same as last gen, looks about the same, and pretty much IS the same. Only somehow heavier and more expensive.
I am very excited about my S650. From a business standpoint if you don't want to risk investing millions into replacing the formidable S550 with something leaps and bounds better, what else do you do? You do market research and do a refresh that will continue sales. Just because it doesn't sell as good as the S550 doesn't mean it isn't successful. You can't just win the Superbowl year after year after year. I sat in a 2020 GT350R and just couldn't do it. That interior was just too not new. That because I already had a S197. If I didn't have an S197 I would have jumped on it. I was waiting for a new look and an updated interior. If the S650 had identical specs to the S550 and was just a new look and new interior I would still be just as excited. The S650 in my eyes is totally bad ass and some of the customization done by members of this forum is totally bad ass. That V8 sound with that digital cockpit feels incredible.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I am very excited about my S650. From a business standpoint if you don't want to risk investing millions into replacing the formidable S550 with something leaps and bounds better, what else do you do? You do market research and do a refresh that will continue sales. Just because it doesn't sell as good as the S550 doesn't mean it isn't successful. You can't just win the Superbowl year after year after year. I sat in a 2020 GT350R and just couldn't do it. That interior was just too not new. That because I already had a S197. If I didn't have an S197 I would have jumped on it. I was waiting for a new look and an updated interior. If the S650 had identical specs to the S550 and was just a new look and new interior I would still be just as excited. The S650 in my eyes is totally bad ass and some of the customization done by members of this forum is totally bad ass. That V8 sound with that digital cockpit feels incredible.
I feel like we are saying the same thing but your focused on the pros and I on the cons.

they’re not mutually exclusive points. I dig the screens actually but not other parts of the interior and I mostly like what Ford did on the outside, but I like it as a refreshed s550. Not a supposed “all new” platform, which it is not. And it has carried on for too long.

I hope you enjoy your s650 for a long time to come.

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
The Mach E is everything but a success…Ford dropped the price by over 10 grand and still no takers…I dont blame them.As for the S650 I find it disingenuous by Ford to call it a new car or new generation where it basically is the old S550 with tablets instead of gauges in the interior…That is why I am with Apeman feeling underwhelmed because the engine and chassis is all the same as such the whole experience with the missing low to mid rpm shove due to 5 liters and tall gearing and the screens I can live with as long as you dont have to touch them because it is a car after all and not a phone on wheels…😉

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The Mach E is everything but a success…Ford dropped the price by over 10 grand and still no takers…I dont blame them.As for the S650 I find it disingenuous by Ford to call it a new car or new generation where it basically is the old S550 with tablets instead of gauges in the interior…That is why I am with Apeman feeling underwhelmed because the engine and chassis is all the same as such the whole experience with the missing low to mid rpm shove due to 5 liters and tall gearing and the screens I can live with as long as you dont have to touch them because it is a car after all and not a phone on wheels…😉
You are just saying the same thing in every post - we get your opinion !

Karguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
I hope Ford will do something about it as the Mustang is the only game left not only for Ford guys but also for Chevy or Dodge guys since the Camaro is dead and the 2 door Charger as a Challenger replacement will go where BMW is already…Inline-6 Biturbo AWD with fwd disconnect…With Fords recalls / quality problems recently and spending a lot of money on electric vehicles most people dont want and cant afford they probably wont design a lighter Mustang with better chassis but maybe they can do more to get handling on par with Alpha and give the Coyote more bore to make it more fun to drive as in lower rpm shove.And a few knobs to turn and push for radio and heater/AC/navigation is probably also doable ! As some Recaros that wont feel like a vice grip and are electrically adjustable…Not too much to ask for in 2024…LOL

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
This is mainly my wife’s car and she/we test drive the Camaro,a used s550, and a new mustang. The Camaro was more of a race car feel driving on the street. The used mustang was nice but the interior is outdated when compared to the new mustang. She wanted the power, sound, comfort, and modern interior and I don’t like inheriting a potential mechanical nightmare buying used. Getting older and having been in my share of quick, fast, modded cars and trucks I’m past that stage in life. The 650 has more than enough power and is probably the best combo of power and comfort I’ve owned. I still have a sweet spot for a 7,000lb truck that can walk away from this s650 and tow whatever I wanted but wasn’t great on longer drives for comfort.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I hope Ford will do something about it as the Mustang is the only game left not only for Ford guys but also for Chevy or Dodge guys since the Camaro is dead and the 2 door Charger as a Challenger replacement will go where BMW is already…Inline-6 Biturbo AWD with fwd disconnect…With Fords recalls / quality problems recently and spending a lot of money on electric vehicles most people dont want and cant afford they probably wont design a lighter Mustang with better chassis but maybe they can do more to get handling on par with Alpha and give the Coyote more bore to make it more fun to drive as in lower rpm shove.And a few knobs to turn and push for radio and heater/AC/navigation is probably also doable ! As some Recaros that wont feel like a vice grip and are electrically adjustable…Not too much to ask for in 2024…LOL
Yea, just completely and totally redesign the Mustang, modify things that only 10% of buying public wants or is willing to pay for, and change the entire focus of what has made the Mustang a success for 60 years. Oh, and make sure it's priced $20K less than the current model.

Bro, you don't need a different Mustang - you need a different car. Time for you to move on to a different vehicle that is focused on different things.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
The s650 is total pile of junk and most horrible car ever built in the history of cars #historychannel

ford needs to put on the Red Bull RB19 chassis #gokart …….then add a top fuel motor #moretorque ……then lower the weight by 3000 pounds #elephant

then when challenger guy buy he can ask Ford to add on widebody kit to lose weight and then sue Ford because all the women running to his door are ruining his sidewalk #homeimprovement

maybe too Ford can add Ram logo and make option to cover up half Mustang windows to make Camaro and Dodge feel more at home #tapredshoes

almost forgot. Ford needs lower price by 50k so same as new fox body price #backtothefuture

only way they saving s650. .

I feel really bad for anyone who bought this disappointment of a car #dontmeetyourheros

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The s650 is total pile of junk and most horrible car ever built in the history of cars #historychannel

ford needs to put on the Red Bull RB19 chassis #gokart …….then add a top fuel motor #moretorque ……then lower the weight by 3000 pounds #elephant

then when challenger guy buy he can ask Ford to add on widebody kit to lose weight and then sue Ford because all the women running to his door are ruining his sidewalk #homeimprovement

maybe too Ford can add Ram logo and make option to cover up half Mustang windows to make Camaro and Dodge feel more at home #tapredshoes

almost forgot. Ford needs lower price by 50k so same as new fox body price #backtothefuture

only way they saving s650. .

I feel really bad for anyone who bought this disappointment of a car #dontmeetyourheros
Not enough - Ford need to pay customers to have the car, only then would it be OK value, but it would still not have a 5.8 Coyote
Sponsored