• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Automatic Transmission Issues?

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
I have a GT premium convertible on order with PP, active exhaust, MagneRide, and automatic transmission. Does anyone know if the transmission in the article referenced below is going in the '24 models? The order is still "unscheduled-clean" so I can probably change it. I'm surrounded by hills so I wanted the convenience of AT, but not if this is the case:

https://jalopnik.com/ford-class-action-lawsuit-10-speed-transmission-1850387122
Sponsored

Last edited:

DRP Motorsports

Had A Few Stangs
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2019 GT, 2020 GT500
Yes it will have the 10R80. Don't let that article scare you. The 10R80 is a good transmission.

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
I have a GT convertible on order with PP, active exhaust, and automatic transmission. Does anyone know if the transmission in the article referenced below is going in the '24 models? The order is still "unscheduled-clean" so I can probably change it. I'm surrounded by hills so I wanted the convenience of AT, but not if this is the case:

Yes same, they have issues in many newer Fords. Have replaced them for internal failures with less then 10k miles.

Main reason for avoiding the A10 for me.

Bullit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
waiting Dark Horse
Yes same, they have issues in many newer Fords. Have replaced them for internal failures with less then 10k miles.

Main reason for avoiding the A10 for me.
Well, I've heard good things about the 10AT, but not about the Gretag...

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

Above is a thread with a lot of references and history of the 10r80.

I've never owned or driven a vehicle with the 10r80, so I cannot speak to it. Being a modern automatic, it's a bit more complicated than previous generations or a manual. Having some general awareness of the unit's characteristics and behaviors (any late model automatic) can be useful.

Last edited:

Ryunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 convertible, 1971 Mach1
Well, I've heard good things about the 10AT, but not about the Gretag...
Having spent time recently in a dealer, first hand repairs are all about the 10R80. Also spoke with an awesome long time trans rebuilder friend, he recommended avoiding the 10R80 as well for me.

That being said, its not really about racing/performance for me, it is about trouble free driving for the long term.

I have the MT82 in my 2013, and had some issues, changed a bushing in the shifter along with replacing the fluid. Since then have zero complaints with that one. Shifts like butter and smooth.

DRP Motorsports

Had A Few Stangs
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2019 GT, 2020 GT500
With the 10R80, as well with many automatic transmissions, the chief complaint is shifting. Shift timing and shift feel. Having tuning experience with them, what one person considers a great shifting transmission, the other person will hate. Its really hard to make a calibration with shift characteristics that everyone will love.
With regards to the internal parts and longevity, we have had great success both racing and general street use. Sure some folks have had failures with them, but there many more that have not on the road.

travistx28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Mustang GT
I have a GT convertible on order with PP, active exhaust, and automatic transmission. Does anyone know if the transmission in the article referenced below is going in the '24 models? The order is still "unscheduled-clean" so I can probably change it. I'm surrounded by hills so I wanted the convenience of AT, but not if this is the case:

I do not recommend the 10-speed automatic.

I owned a 2018 F-150 that I sent to the shop three different times due to the transmission. The videos are from the THIRD time I sent the truck in for repairs. Even after these videos were submitted to my dealership, they refused to replace the transmission. They put a band-aid on the problem (saying something about internal scaring) and sent me on my way. I ultimately sold the truck while the used car market was high and I will never own a 10 Speed automatic from Ford. I hope this helps.

My Mustang order is a GT premium, manual, PP, active exhaust and MagneRide.

t_ice14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Mustangs
I traded my 2015 with 6-speed for a 2019 with the A10. Absolutely love it and have never had any issues with it. I just ordered a 2024 with it as well. I would have no reservations about this transmission at all. I'm sure there are people who have had troubles but it has to be few compared to those who haven't. I know alot of Mustang folks and have never heard of any of them having problems with this transmission.

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Generally speaking, the 10 speed is known to be a solid transmission. There are millions of them made, so even with a 1% failure rate, you'd be hearing thousands of stories of people with issues. I've heard people mentioning what mechanics have said, but you really can't take mechanic word for what's reliable or not. Their perspective is negatively skewed because they spend all their time fixing the 1% of cars that break, not the 99% of cars that don't. Kind of like if you ask a divorce lawyer their views on marriage, they'll tell you to never get married, because every married person is miserable, and every single marriage ends in divorce. Their experiences mold their perception of reality, mechanics are no different.

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert
I have driven a 2018 Mustang GT with the 10r80 it was a rental and I liked the transmission. I have a 21 Bronco with the 10r60 (Same Trans just a lower torque capacity), and it has been perfect. I have a 24 DH on order with the 10r80.

S650 GT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse with Trailer
This is the first time I hear about the 10-speed transmission problems.
But I heard a LOT about the 6-speed manual.

I think the 10-speed is just fine.

OP
OP
Decio

Decio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
Thanks everyone. After reading your experiences here and some other sites, I'm going to stick with the AT. I'll try the sport mode/manual shift or have it re-flashed if it becomes a problem. I'd love a manual for about a month, then the novelty would wear off and it'd just be a chore on my short and hilly commute.

I might even ask my dealer about extended warranty options. Had one on my '08 CTS when they switched over to direct injection and it more than paid for itself (oddly enough, for transmission issues, not DI).

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 ND2 30th anniversary
I really liked the A10 in mine! On the EU cars it's like the cars has 50hp more compared to the M6

In the video I was in Track mode( drag mode a bit faster and "brutal" shifts), with some left foot braking 1700-1800 RPM when launching in drag mode the car ripped pretty good(with advance track fully off)

I did have one weird issue though. Being standstill and revving and then once the rpm drop down to idle and the going into gear it would sometimes just slam the ger in .... :S

Sponsored

Last edited: