• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tremec transmission swap?

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
I have on order a Mustang GT Prem Vert, 6sp (scheduled for 9/25) and I'm a little concerned with what I've been reading about the MT86 transmission glitch(es). Has anyone ever performed or heard of a Tremec transplant replacement for the MT86? I don't imagine it would be impossible since the DH will come with one, but I guess having it's software communicate with the rest of the software on the GT might be a stumbling point. Also having the closer ratios of the Tremec might be nice in the heavier convertible. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?
Sponsored

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
A swap may be a little difficult. You can't buy a new one because that transmission is reserved for manufactures only. That leaves two other options. Tremec makes other transmissions that might work but you would have to talk to them about dimensions and electrical connections. Probably the easiest solution is to find a crash car that you can salvage what you want. I was curious about that as well so I spent a while with their web site.
Tremec Web Site

OP
OP
Instant Action

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the link.
Interesting that they would make that transmission a proprietary piece, if that is the case that would definitely make a swap more difficult unless like you say find a crashed Dark Horse to salvage one from. In my youth I might have looked on this as a challenge, but today I prefer to take the easier route which would mean living with the MT86 and not rushing the shifts. Hopefully as some have reported, the revised MT has better manners than in the past.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
the tremec is part number PR3Z-7003-C and it costs $3125.32 retail, dealer cost of $2343.99, and has a core charge of $750. the issues come with the additional stuff that would need to be done to make it work. you would need the DH shifter linkage, modify or reprogram the PCM for the tremec's ratios for the auto rev-match, retrofit a trans fluid cooler, and probably even more stuff. you could do it with enough money and time, but would it really be that worth it? that's also assuming Ford themselves doesn't cancel the order of certain parts (which they do) and leave you with a half finished project that Ford won't let you order the remaining parts for

OP
OP
Instant Action

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the tremec is part number PR3Z-7003-C and it costs $3125.32 retail, dealer cost of $2343.99, and has a core charge of $750. the issues come with the additional stuff that would need to be done to make it work. you would need the DH shifter linkage, modify or reprogram the PCM for the tremec's ratios for the auto rev-match, retrofit a trans fluid cooler, and probably even more stuff. you could do it with enough money and time, but would it really be that worth it? that's also assuming Ford themselves doesn't cancel the order of certain parts (which they do) and leave you with a half finished project that Ford won't let you order the remaining parts for
Thanks, All good points, especially your last one.
I guess I was looking to see if anyone here had made the swap and if so, was it worth the time, money and effort. Iā€™m starting to believe that it probably isnā€™t for the small gain unless when I finally get to drive my car I really hate the shifter and trans gearing, but at that point just sell the car I guess.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You might not need a crashed dark horse for part. It's possible a Mach 1 would have what you need and there are a lot more of those out there.
I went down the path years ago when my father dropped a V8 in a 1950 Ford pickup. That required some motor mount work and a custom drive shaft to properly connect the transmission to the rear end. A Tremec swap is a bit more complex but it's possible that one of the shops that customizes Fords could do the job. Saleen is one that might do it but I am sure that others on the site would know of others who do custom work.

ThreePedalPlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Mustang GT Vert , 2024 Mustang GT Vert
It doesn't seem like the Dark Horse is any faster with the Tremec though. It seems like a lot of trouble for not a lot of gain looking at the times Car & Driver got for both cars.

OP
OP
Instant Action

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, there isnā€™t a lot of difference in the ultimate performance between the GT and the DH, but the driving experience in the heavier convertible might be better with the closer ratios of the Tremec. I just wish Ford offered it as an option. Who knows, it might have been another profit point for Ford if they offered it and priced the option right since they all come down the same line it couldnā€™t be all that difficult. Only potential issue might be the cost of governmental certification testing in another vehicle. In the end, I see now my dream of a swap is probably not very feasible and Iā€™ll just let the dream die here.

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
the heavier convertible might be better with the closer ratios of the Tremec.
Is it around 50 pounds? With or without the dh hp (handling package - or whatever the extra extra is called specifically).

FlyNavy86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Gold Camry
Thanks, All good points, especially your last one.
I guess I was looking to see if anyone here had made the swap and if so, was it worth the time, money and effort. Iā€™m starting to believe that it probably isnā€™t for the small gain unless when I finally get to drive my car I really hate the shifter and trans gearing, but at that point just sell the car I guess.
Iā€™m new to Mustangs, but I believe there are ways to upgrade the GTs transmission for better feel and reliability.

OP
OP
Instant Action

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I read somewhere that the convertible is 200 lbs heavier than the fastback, please correct me if I have that wrong. With the extra weight in mind, I ordered my vert with the PP and Magnaride to hopefully counter some of the extra weightā€™s handling issues.

OP
OP
Instant Action

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m new to Mustangs, but I believe there are ways to upgrade the GTs transmission for better feel and reliability.
Supposedly the MT86 has been ā€œimprovedā€ from previous years so Iā€™ll keep my fingers crossed that Ford did the right thing and listened to its customers complaints about it. I guess not pending a strike at the plant, Iā€™ll find out how good or bad it is in a couple of months.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I think I read somewhere that the convertible is 200 lbs heavier than the fastback, please correct me if I have that wrong. With the extra weight in mind, I ordered my vert with the PP and Magnaride to hopefully counter some of the extra weightā€™s handling issues.
It think itā€™s around that when doing gt fastback to gt convertible but when doing gt convertible to dark horse I think itā€™s around 50 pounds (vert heavy). Although donā€™t know if the dh weight is with the extra extra goodies and then at the same time donā€™t know if the vert weight is with the pp. just going by advertised stats.

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supposedly the MT86 has been ā€œimprovedā€ from previous years so Iā€™ll keep my fingers crossed that Ford did the right thing and listened to its customers complaints about it. I guess not pending a strike at the plant, Iā€™ll find out how good or bad it is in a couple of months.
Ford didn't have a choice. If you google it you should find there was a lawsuit over the MT86 transmission. Owners were having trouble with it and had a class action going. I didn't follow up but that was what made me decide to go with the Dark Horse even at the higher price. I wanted dependability so the beefier engine and coolers were gravy.

OP
OP
Instant Action

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford didn't have a choice. If you google it you should find there was a lawsuit over the MT86 transmission. Owners were having trouble with it and had a class action going. I didn't follow up but that was what made me decide to go with the Dark Horse even at the higher price. I wanted dependability so the beefier engine and coolers were gravy.
I have read quite a few reports that complain about the MT86, that is precisely why I wanted input from this group on the feasibility of the Tremec transplant. My fingers are still crossed that it will be better in the S650 than it was in the previous models.
Sponsored