• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Tremec transmission swap?

Dena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Mustang GT, 24 Red Dark horse premium Manual
I have read quite a few reports that complain about the MT86, that is precisely why I wanted input from this group on the feasibility of the Tremec transplant. My fingers are still crossed that it will be better in the S650 than it was in the previous models.
There is the other side. My car has an early T45 transmission. I didn't know till recently that the transmission had a wear problems on the 3-4 gear fork. Ford corrected the problem however I am pretty sure my transmission doesn't have the fix. It has gone over 170,000 miles without an issue. I suspect the problem is the result of people racing and Jamming the transmission into gear. If you're easy on a car, you may never have the problems that other people are having. Then again, Ford may have resolved the problem and you still will not have an issue.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Instant Action

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
There is the other side. My car has an early T45 transmission. I didn't know till recently that the transmission had a wear problems on the 3-4 gear fork. Ford corrected the problem however I am pretty sure my transmission doesn't have the fix. It has gone over 170,000 miles without an issue. I suspect the problem is the result of people racing and Jamming the transmission into gear. If you're easy on a car, you may never have the problems that other people are having. Then again, Ford may have resolved the problem and you still will not have an issue.
I'm sure for my usage it will be fine. My days of foot to floor power shifts are pretty much over, also not what convertibles are for, imho.

roket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
roket333.github.io
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Mustang Dark Horse
i hope Ford fixed the issues with this new MT-82, but this (picture) doesn't make me so confident in that
S650 Mustang Tremec transmission swap? 1693882655685

OP
OP
Instant Action

Instant Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler, '24 VB Mustang GT PP Vert 6sp
i hope Ford fixed the issues with this new MT-82, but this (picture) doesn't make me so confident in that
1693882655685.png
I could be wrong, but I don’t think that Ford would use the same transmission in a V8 Mustang as they use in a 4 cylinder Bronco. The Mustang transmission is an MT86 and this transmission is an MT88 Or so it states in the link.
Sponsored