• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On Order 2022 Mach1, 2016 BMW 528i, 2020 Ram 1500
Using pushrods doesn't make much sense to me, feels like Ford would be taking a step backwards.
That depends on how you look at it, the new Godzilla is a push rod engine, and if you look at all of motorsports big HP is done with push rods, not OHC.

Do I think they are dumping the coyote OHC engine? No, I only said that the clip sounded like a old school 5.0. It definitely sounds different than the current engine.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
Using pushrods doesn't make much sense to me, feels like Ford would be taking a step backwards.
pushrod engines have been turning 11,000+ RPM so it's not like Ford was pushing the envelop or nothing. DOHC lets you do nifty things like jank with the cam timing on both sides of combustion.

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
This sounds like the Mach 1 in my area. Hope it keeps the Coyote as I like the rev happy nature of it compared to its other counterparts.

Last edited:

kidjorg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang gt
Is it safe to assume that they'll show it at the Detroit auto show?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.LEDandSafety.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
And the GT3 racecar is confirmed to be running a 5.5L Coyote presumably Gen 4. So we can hope for a 5.5L Coyote Manual (hopefully with a TR-3160 or better).
Well the Gen 4 Coyote was said to be in development about 2 years ago, so you never know.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
I remember back in 2005 when the new S197 Mustang was first shown at the Carlise show the engineers at the Ford display said the exhaust note for the GT was taken from the 03-04 Mach1 sound. Could history repeat with the new S650 GT sound using the 21-22 Mach1 as the benchmark. There are photos of the camo S650 testing with the 21 Mach1...

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe
pushrod engines have been turning 11,000+ RPM so it's not like Ford was pushing the envelop or nothing. DOHC lets you do nifty things like jank with the cam timing on both sides of combustion.
It also helps curb the usual loss of air velocity in the intake runners that comes from hogging out the intake ports and bigger valves on a 2v head when trying to get more power out of them. This is why if you compare a 302w Ford with a set of 215-225cc heads and appropriate cam, it'll make similar peaks to stock uncorked coyote, but the low-mid range tells a different story. Granted, variable cam timing also helps a lot with this, but you can still see a difference with locked cams

But you are correct, pushrod engines have been able to turn high rpm for a while now. Nascar cup engines are set at 358 ci with a cam-in-block pushrod valvetrain, and they turn 9k rpm effortlessly. Pushrod's main problem with high rpm capability is usually the weight of the valvetrain components (lifter, pushrod, rocker) causing valve control issues, and the inherent low-rpm power issues that usually come with small displacement, big port, 2v headed engines trying to make power in the upper rpm range. DOHC essentially lets you have your cake and eat it too since it gets rid of majority of the extra valvetrain weight, and helps air velocity (2 smaller valves can achieve the same or even better flow than 1 huge valve, without losing efficiency at lower rpm)

jgilkey

Threads
Reaction score
Website
locusautomotive.com
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: 2021 Mach 1
This sounds like the Mach 1 in my area. Hope it keeps the Coyote as I like the rev happy nature of it compared to its other counterparts.
I agree, it does sound like a Mach 1. If the Mach 1 is the target for the GT, like the Boss was the target for the 6G GT, then that would make sense.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well, something to consider is the new Gen 3 Australian supercar has a homologated coyote that's been bored and stroked to a 5.4L. Would it be a stretch to consider that as a potential option? Word is that Ford Performance worked pretty hard on getting the 5.4L setup to be reliable, given that's a major factor in the series. Personally, I would be ecstatic to see the Gen 4 coyote be that displacement with whatever revisions and improvements they've supposedly made.
Hopefully if Ford goes to a larger engine it will be a real change (more than 10% added displacement).

Definitely it sounds good in the clip. Kind of bassy. Probably just somebody pushed up the low end of the equalizer. Similar to the green color shown in the teaser for grabber lime that was nothing like the real color.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Gotta love Ford's PR machine............they teased us with something that ended up being just "give us a new name for our Black Accent Package"..........then today, BAM outta nowhere we get the first official news that the 7th Gen is coming 😆
Extrapolating this, looks like the press release announcing the upgraded phone system at the flat rock factory will also show the full unveiling of the mustang as a sub-announcement.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Gotta love Ford's PR machine............they teased us with something that ended up being just "give us a new name for our Black Accent Package"..........then today, BAM outta nowhere we get the first official news that the 7th Gen is coming 😆
Play the sound clip backwards. Totally sounds like someone whispering "1000 all wheel horsepower" in the background....

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT 10Sp Auto
And the GT3 racecar is confirmed to be running a 5.5L Coyote presumably Gen 4. So we can hope for a 5.5L Coyote Manual (hopefully with a TR-3160 or better).
Actually Ford have officially confirmed 5.0 Coyote Power for the new GT3,

"Created by Ford Performance and Multimatic, the Ford Mustang GT3 powered by a 5.0-liter Coyote-based V8 engine will deliver the full endurance racing potential of a Ford Mustang for customers globally" Ford Performance to Develop Mustang GT3 Race Car to Compete Globally; Will Compete at Daytona in 2024 | Ford Media Center

However a 5.4 Coyote is technically not out of the question, as a lot of development by Ford Performance & Mostech (Australia) has gone into producing a shiny new 5.4 Coyote which will be run in the Australian "Supercars" Series from next year. This has Fords official approval (and involvement), and should be ultra-reliable with big power.

Although, as Ford are running a 5.0 in the next GT3, this would probably indicate the continuation of the 5.0 L in our road cars.
Sponsored

Last edited: