• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Would You Consider a Smaller Foxbody Inspired Mustang?

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
I've been passing on buying a Mustang for decades. I'm not a fan of the binocular instrument panel or analog gauges. The S650 is the first Mustang for several generations that has an instrument panel that I wouldn't mind having to stare at for hours at a time.

I've got a BRZ on order, but if Subaru keeps dragging its feet, or tries to up the price on deliver, the S650 is the next vehicle on my list.
Mind me asking what your current and recent past rides have been with preferences like that
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As many enthusiasts have laminated the loss of the small, light, and affordable mustang, I thought it would be interesting if Ford developed a foxbody inspired, FRS and Miata rival with smaller displacement engines using this design which looks like a modern fox body imo.

They could use the highly flexible and proven c2 platform to keep development costs low, which would make it easier to turn a profit in a low volume segment. Make it awd, offer a hybrid potentially (maybe even have the electric motors power the rear wheels so it feels closer to a rwd car), throw in the 2.0 and 2.3 Ecoboost. Take the maverick approach to interior design of making something cheap, but expressive.

This would enable ford to expand the mustang sub-brand in a way that appealed to a wide variety of enthusiasts young and old by going back to the mustangs roots of cheap, practical, and cheerful. While strengthening the brand in a way that doesn't directly step on the toes of the s650, and allows them to generate additional revenue on a platform that's already proving to be profitable. Let me know what you all think.
I would buy a small, light weight, rear wheel drive, manual transmission car. 100%. I don't like the Toyota or Subaru brands, but I bought the GR86 because that's the only reasonably priced car on the market that meets those requirements. I traded my FiST for it. I did like the FiST a lot, but front wheel drive is a little boring. Also, the turbo lag is annoying. The size and weight of the FiST were nearly perfect. It just needed a better drivetrain.

I don't fit into a Miata. No way. But the GR86 is absolutely fine. No problem at all fitting inside as a 6'4" tall guy. I think most people will fit in the GR86 if I do.

But I would really prefer no turbo. NA only, please. And definitely no AWD or hybrid. That would make the car too heavy and/or boring and expensive.

I'm not sure how big the market is for a car like this, but if Ford made something like it I would certainly be a buyer. If it was a really high quality car with great brakes, high power to weight ratio and excellent ergonomics I would even pay Dark Horse money for it.

Something like a modern interpretation of the Porsche 944 - pretty much my perfect car. I'd love a 944 analog with a small, 5 liter cam in block engine making about 300-400 hp. That would be awesome.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
I would buy a small, light weight, rear wheel drive, manual transmission car. 100%. I don't like the Toyota or Subaru brands, but I bought the GR86 because that's the only reasonably priced car on the market that meets those requirements.

But I would really prefer no turbo. NA only, please.
Do you find the GR86 lacking in power? If so, what should they do to increase it without a turbo?

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Mind me asking what your current and recent past rides have been with preferences like that
1965 Dodge Dart GT Charger
1972 Triumph GT-6
1974 Datsun 260Z
1988 Dodge Daytona Turbo
1985 Corvette
1995 Honda Prelude Si
2009 Mazda 6
2017 Honda Civic Si

Sold the Civic back to the dealer in July and I'm glad to be rid of it. Currently I've inherited my parents 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid. Nice for road trips, but not for me.

I'm looking for a two door head turner that's fun to drive and makes me smile at a stop light. The BRZ is barely acceptable in the last condition, but compared to the Civic it will be a "muscle car". (Yes, I've driven a GR86 and the acceleration is acceptable). I'm also done with front wheel drive for my daily driver. Front wheel drive and four (or all) wheel drive is for utility vehicles.

Nothing I've owned has matched my first car. Not even my 'Vette. But I've gotten old enough to appreciate "finess".

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
1965 Dodge Dart GT Charger
1972 Triumph GT-6
1974 Datsun 260Z
1988 Dodge Daytona Turbo
1985 Corvette
1995 Honda Prelude Si
2009 Mazda 6
2017 Honda Civic Si

Sold the Civic back to the dealer in July and I'm glad to be rid of it. Currently I've inherited my parents 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid. Nice for road trips, but not for me.

I'm looking for a two door head turner that's fun to drive and makes me smile at a stop light. The BRZ is barely acceptable in the last condition, but compared to the Civic it will be a "muscle car". (Yes, I've driven a GR86 and the acceleration is acceptable). I'm also done with front wheel drive for my daily driver. Front wheel drive and four (or all) wheel drive is for utility vehicles.

Nothing I've owned has matched my first car. Not even my 'Vette. But I've gotten old enough to appreciate "finess".
Baller lineup

I still get call backs from dealers for GR86s after trying to hunt down a Neptune premium 6MT at MSRP for the past half year; gave up since the S650 unveiling, all Iā€™m saying is I understand its appeal too

More curiously though was just trying to understand your gauge preferences since you didnā€™t like the analog MY15-17s or all digital MY18+ S550s. I think they did a hell of a job with the 18+ but loved my analog instruments for what they were (in fact my only complaint was the parallax error with reading out MPH because of the deep recess and angle)

I canā€™t say Iā€™m a fan of the 10th genā€™s Civicā€™s gauges at all and currently daily one myself

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Baller lineup

I still get call backs from dealers for GR86s after trying to hunt down a Neptune premium 6MT at MSRP for the past half year; gave up since the S650 unveiling, all Iā€™m saying is I understand its appeal too

More curiously though was just trying to understand your gauge preferences since you didnā€™t like the analog MY15-17s or all digital MY18+ S550s. I think they did a hell of a job with the 18+ but loved my analog instruments for what they were (in fact my only complaint was the parallax error with reading out MPH because of the deep recess and angle)

I canā€™t say Iā€™m a fan of the 10th genā€™s Civicā€™s gauges at all and currently daily one myself
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Ever since my 1988 Dodge Daytona, with its multi-colored graph instruments, I have been a fan of instrumentation without "wands" (pointers). Next was my '85 'Vette, again with bars and numbers and no "wands". So that is my personal preference. The 10 gen Civic's instrumentation was a major draw for me. But I forgot my addiction to displacement. 91 cubit inches aggravated me every time I lifted off the clutch.

So when I saw the "heretical" instrument panel of the S650, I fell in love. Mustangs have always been beautiful on the outside, but too "retro" on the inside for me. With the 650 it all comes together for my preferences.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Ever since my 1988 Dodge Daytona, with its multi-colored graph instruments, I have been a fan of instrumentation without "wands" (pointers). Next was my '85 'Vette, again with bars and numbers and no "wands". So that is my personal preference. The 10 gen Civic's instrumentation was a major draw for me. But I forgot my addiction to displacement. 91 cubit inches aggravated me every time I lifted off the clutch.

So when I saw the "heretical" instrument panel of the S650, I fell in love. Mustangs have always been beautiful on the outside, but too "retro" on the inside for me. With the 650 it all comes together for my preferences.
Respect that šŸ™

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Do you find the GR86 lacking in power? If so, what should they do to increase it without a turbo?
It's fine for a winter car and daily driver that spends most of its time in traffic. It will break my snow tires loose at 45 mph on a freeway on-ramp, even with relatively warm temperatures and no salt on the roads. Would I prefer more power? Yes, yes I would. But I would also prefer more power in my Mustang GT. I can't say I've ever driven any car that I wouldn't have preferred with more power. I won't take the 86 to the track due to warranty concerns, so for my purposes it's nearly perfect.

I think the GR86 would be amazing with a flat 6 in it instead of the 4 cylinder. More displacement is the way to make more power. However, I would only want that if the weight wasn't changed much. I wouldn't mind paying more - even a lot more. I assume with a bigger, heavier engine it would need a transaxle instead of having the transmission mounted to the engine. That would increase cost quite a bit. And the car would have to be a little smaller to keep the weight down. I wouldn't mind if the rear seats and trunk got smaller to accomplish that.

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
I understand the rationale behind smaller, lighter, faster argument, I just don't think it plays well in the current market. Auto manufacturers cannot afford to ignore market demand. I think it's a non-starter for the Mustang. After all, look how well the smaller, lighter, faster ideology worked for the Camaro. Anticipating demand isn't easy and no company wants to gamble on selling a volume product to a limited audience in hopes it might find wider appeal.

OP
OP
DeluxeStang

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
I understand the rationale behind smaller, lighter, faster argument, I just don't think it plays well in the current market. Auto manufacturers cannot afford to ignore market demand. I think it's a non-starter for the Mustang. After all, look how well the smaller, lighter, faster ideology worked for the Camaro. Anticipating demand isn't easy and no company wants to gamble on selling a volume product to a limited audience in hopes it might find wider appeal.
True but the issue with the Camaro was it was trying to be smaller and lighter while still competing against larger, more muscular cars. I'm talking about doing an additional mustang model designed to appeal to people like the gt86 buyers and old school purists.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You could also look at the GR86, which is selling well and is smaller than the Camaro. A lot smaller.

I think the Camaro did poorly due to poor looks and a poor design. Can't see out of it. Can't fit much in the trunk. Can't fit a large beverage through the mail slot windows. But hey, the chassis is great! Just dumb priorities. Yes, tiny windows and trunk opening make the body more rigid. But the car has to be enjoyable to use.

OP
OP
DeluxeStang

DeluxeStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
You could also look at the GR86, which is selling well and is smaller than the Camaro. A lot smaller.

I think the Camaro did poorly due to poor looks and a poor design. Can't see out of it. Can't fit much in the trunk. Can't fit a large beverage through the mail slot windows. But hey, the chassis is great! Just dumb priorities. Yes, tiny windows and trunk opening make the body more rigid. But the car has to be enjoyable to use.
Exactly, as you pointed out, the gt86 is selling well, and unless I missed something, the only car it shares a platform with it the BRZ. So it doesn't have the economies of scale that the C2 has.

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
he only car it shares a platform with it the BRZ. So it doesn't have the economies of scale that the C2 has.
and MINISCULE actual production numbers compared to just one of the 6 variations the C2 platform supports.

GT Premi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT500 '17 GT350R '20 X5 M50i
Digital dashes were around multiple decades ago? ...
Yep. Full digital instrumentation was available back in the '80s. Several GM cars were equipped with them. So were some Nissans and Hondas, if I recall correctly.
Sponsored