• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Will you be ordering a manual or auto?

10 Speed/MT82/Tremec?

• Total voters

seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT
Personally, I would want the Tremec but my knee would protest, loudly! :frown:
Getting old sucks. I did a bike trip from Sacramento to Bodega bay and back through those wine country hills in Sept. Physical therapy ever since...knee feels it when I hit the clutch. But still don't want an auto for my fun car!
Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Ford will not be dropping the MT82 anytime soon as there are still a lot of these transmissions built in China with "suspect Chinese parts". Ford has dumped a lot of money to this supplier and wont change till the backlog is exhausted. I had my MT82 changed 3 times under warranty. Twice in my 2011 GT and once in my 2018 GT. And I never raced my car or tracked it. The Chinese supplied shaft bearings failed under normal use. Rember China is NOT our friend.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Ford will not be dropping the MT82 anytime soon as there are still a lot of these transmissions built in China with "suspect Chinese parts". Ford has dumped a lot of money to this supplier and wont change till the backlog is exhausted. I had my MT82 changed 3 times under warranty. Twice in my 2011 GT and once in my 2018 GT. And I never raced my car or tracked it. The Chinese supplied shaft bearings failed under normal use. Rember China is NOT our friend.
You do not need to be friends with a country to be a trade partner with them. This is where Ford contracted to have these made and that is that. It's not going to change. Either buy Mach 1 or Dark Horse or deal with the MT82. Also a lot of folks on here that their MT82's while not the best have been reliable after the broken shift fork issues of 2018.

MustangMac67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
I cannot remember, but I think I saw somewhere that the getrag was called the mt88. It could mean a quality difference, I sure hope so

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
The MT82 hate is SOOOO overrated.

smoke a dozen T5s a few T5Zs then eat through tremec 3550s…500s… 600s TKX etc..

tremec is not the answer people think it is, the new one is great, the mt82 is also great! Either are superior to the older stuff.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I agree once the shaft bearing issue was resolved the trans seemed pretty good.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
The MT82 hate is SOOOO overrated.

smoke a dozen T5s a few T5Zs then eat through tremec 3550s…500s… 600s TKX etc..

tremec is not the answer people think it is, the new one is great, the mt82 is also great! Either are superior to the older stuff.
tremec makes Great transmissions. That's why dodge and Chevy use them. Ford just cheaper out. It's also why it's in the Mach because it can stand up to the abuse.
If you personally have gone through that many tremec transmission......it's not the transmission lol

Q6543

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
You race stick cars you break transmissions.

Simple as that… nmra coyote stock guys are out here eating G101As every weekend.

if your NOT going through them, are you even driving the car hard enough.

Last edited:

shogun32

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT+PP, SS+1LE, 2020 F150
if your NOT going through them, are you even driving the car hard enough.
breaking the trans means either you are forcing it to do something it's not able to do, or your technique and/or workarounds need improvement. Trans 'hangup' can be addressed thru proper ignition cut timing, clutch slave calibration and spacing, and if needed stronger and/or polished internals and removal of unnecessary parts like syncros. The meatspace is supposed to be smarter than the trans, not revert to Neanderthal ham-fisted battle of wills against mechanical imperfections/limitations.

seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT
breaking the trans means either you are forcing it to do something it's not able to do, or your technique and/or workarounds need improvement. Trans 'hangup' can be addressed thru proper ignition cut timing, clutch slave calibration and spacing, and if needed stronger and/or polished internals and removal of unnecessary parts like syncros. The meatspace is supposed to be smarter than the trans, not revert to Neanderthal ham-fisted battle of wills against mechanical imperfections/limitations.
Where do you come up with this stuff?

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT
I don't know about "neck snapping in both directions" as my GT is "disappointing" to me in that it doesn't do that on downshifts. It's as if they did the "rev matching" algorithm like a manual. When I downshift from 10 to 7 or 6 quickly, the engine revs up then engages and it doesn't really slow the car down fast enough. In my Honda, when I downshift, it immediately goes into that gear without "rev matching" so the car actually slows faster since it's fully in gear without having to wait for the engine rpm to drop down. It's the first automatic that I've experienced this with. Of course, if it had a dual-clutch auto like in a Ferrari, that's awesome. I drove a 2014 Spyder that really felt like it was a manual; just didn't have a clutch pedal. Of course, used it was like 5 or 6 times the price of a new GT.
Ford could do a much better job with the A10. Pretty much all European ZF and DCT transmission feel better than the A10. But most mustang owners probably don`t realize it.

akfinfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mustang Dark Horse - 17' Charger - 17' Ram 1500
The Auto is intriguing, but the Tremec Manual seams like too much fun too pass up. Not to mention that Manuals are starting to become obsolete so it might be the last Muscle Car to have it.
Sponsored